Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Pete
      • Scale Off Road Pro
      • ★★★★★★

And a quick rough and ready video, should of been a lot more but I haven’t figured out pressing the record button on the new camera ::doh::

Pete's Scale Fab Shop - Facebook  Instagram

Pete
        • Scale Off Road Pro
        • ★★★★★★

Made a quick mod to the Coyote today, as a few people have reported that the plastic knuckles are suffering with wear at the king pin holes.

I suspect lots of mud and water running will have played a part in this wear.

I decided to reinforce this area using Axial SCX-10 flange pipes before mine had suffered.

9qoIprC.jpg

To carry out the mod you will need a 4.5mm drill bit, 4 off M3x12 bolts, hex driver and wheel nut spanner.

First remove the front wheels,

1x48CxT.jpg

Next remove the knuckles, you can leave the CVD’s in the axle if you remove the drive pin first. With the Knuckles removed enlarge the holes that the knuckle pivots on to 4.5mm using a drill. With all 4 holes enlarged press the flange pipes in from the inside outwards.

jn5OEfY.jpg

I put a spot of super glue on each one as I put them in the holes as I don’t want them to spin in the plastic. Once all 4 are inserted reassemble the steering using the 4 off M3 x12 bolts, you will need to tighten the bolts carefully to the point where the knuckle can pivot freely, I found that tightening them right down and then backing them off about a 1/4 turn was about right. Hook the steering up and away you go.

I suspect this will work on worn knuckles as a fix, but can’t verify this as I don’t have a set to try it on.

Pete
          • Scale Off Road Pro
          • ★★★★★★

Have had this out a couple of times and changed the wheels and tires a couple of time too. Intially went for 1.9 Mud thrashers on Boom Racing wheels but have now gone for RC4WD USSR 1.9 Military Truck Tires on narrow Boom Racing wheels as they little taller and narrower than the Mud thrahsers.

Mud and Mud thrashers

and the new tires.

I think I may end up swapping out the wheels to some SDI -3 wagon wheels to get the tires tucked in as much as possible I am just not sure if they will clear the front knuckles.

Pete
            • Scale Off Road Pro
            • ★★★★★★

Finally managed to fit the new grill to this today.

Also fitted some SDI rubber arches and Wagon wheels.

Sysop
            Retrocosm
              • Scale Off Road Pro
              • ★★★★★★

That looks the business Pete 🙂

Retrocosm On YouTube   Instagram   Website   Twitter   Facebook

Pete
                • Scale Off Road Pro
                • ★★★★★★

That looks the business Pete ?

Thanks Charlie,

Saturday I also made a prototype Cantalever suspension set-up to go with my drop bed and fitted it. Yesterday I gave it a good testing and was pleasantly surprised to find it worked really nicely, I do need to fine tune the spring and damping rates a touch. So now I can draw up the brackets and start printing them so I can added them to the drop bed kit.

Pictures as we all like pictures 🙂

More coming soon, thanks for looking 🙂

jonny191
                  • Scaling Like A Pro
                  • ★★★★★

Great job Pete, I really like the old school grill and that suspension works pretty good, and nice to see you again.

toyolien
                    • Scale Off Road Pro
                    • ★★★★★★

Looks nice Pete, especially the grille. Tyres suit it also.

Pete
                      • Scale Off Road Pro
                      • ★★★★★★

Great job Pete, I really like the old school grill and that suspension works pretty good, and nice to see you again.

Looks nice Pete, especially the grille. Tyres suit it also.

Cheers Chaps, very happy with the overall look of this now, and with the suspension tuned it should be nice and capable too.

Spent the morning designing the components for the cantilever set up, the first set are printing as I type 🙂

Canti components 1Canti components 2

toyolien
                        • Scale Off Road Pro
                        • ★★★★★★

I’ve so got to learn 3d designing. Loads of ideas in my head and nowhere for them to go!

Pete
                          • Scale Off Road Pro
                          • ★★★★★★

I’ve so got to learn 3d designing. Loads of ideas in my head and nowhere for them to go!

It gets addictive, I currently use Sketchup but am going to start playing with fusion360 soon as it’s more advanced.

Few shot’s from todays cantilever test run.

Only slight glitch (caused by a glitch) was the truck taking a 40ft drop into a riverbed. Fortunately this only resulted in a slightly bent chassis. it even landed on it’s wheels. The chassis was easy to straighten and the Coyote gets to fight another day.

Pete
                            • Scale Off Road Pro
                            • ★★★★★★

After the weekend’s run I finally decided I needed to improve the approach and departure angles on the Coyote. So off came the stock bumpers and I fabbed up a couple of simple tube bumpers. No winch for the moment, but I may be able to stick a servo winch in under the battery tray if I find the need. Rear bumber needs the ends capping, a recovery point attaching and a quick coat of paint.

Before

After.

Think that should help.

Sysop
                            Retrocosm
                              • Scale Off Road Pro
                              • ★★★★★★

Very nice Pete, those are some seriously tucked in bumpers, should improve things a lot!

Retrocosm On YouTube   Instagram   Website   Twitter   Facebook

Pete
                                • Scale Off Road Pro
                                • ★★★★★★

This little truck keeps on going, despite generally getting ignored when it comes to maintenance 🙁

First run out this year (I haven’t used it since October last year) and it performed faultlessly again. Well apart from the motor get a touch hot at one point.

_CAM3095_CAM3098_CAM3119_CAM3105_CAM3120_CAM3127_CAM3141_CAM3146_CAM3179_CAM3170

raven62
                                  • Scaling Like A Pro
                                  • ★★★★★

What a nice Car.

Chapeau for it and especially the cantilever.

Regards

Ralf

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.