Scale RC Forum Forum Members’ Builds Forum’s Finest Builds Just a TF2 Hilux Flatbed

This topic contains 83 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by toyolien 6 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 84 total)
  • Author
    toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

New year, and a new project. Since winning an RC4WD Bivouac Trailer on Instagram a few weeks ago I thought it was only fair that I did an RC4WD build. So, I purchased a TF2 kit from Martin @RCBitz and a few other bits and pieces and here we are, my first leaf sprung truck, ever!

Now, since I already have a linked and bobbed Hilux on a GCM Skeleton chassis (which I love), I thought i’d do a leaf sprung flatbed Hilux this time.

This first post contains a fair few photos because my laptop packed up just before Christmas, and the photos have been backing up until I could get a new one to start this build thread. I’ve already posted up some of these pics on my Instagram page (@toyolien) so apologies if you’ve already seen them.

GCM scale transmission. I love GCM products, and with the added benefit of overdriving the front, I opted for this.

I’m hoping to “shoe horn” this beast in too.

Upgraded the axles to come cast Yota 2’s with some CVD’s.

Beginnings of the chassis build.

Swapped out the GCM motor mount for the RC4WD one, so that the GCM transmission bolts straight in. (Yes I know the outputs are on the wrong side. It was originally destined for my SCX10ii Jeep build that’s now on hold.)

BowhouseRC leaf shackle mounts, to get rid of the ‘lock down’.

Fabbed up a mount for the other end of the transmission.

RC4WD Old Man Emu shocks, that i’ve ‘borrowed’ off another truck for now.

Also added some Gelande 2 hoops.

And lastly for now, sculpted out a DinkyRC Skid to fit the GCM transmission, until someone brings out a better option.

Thanks for looking, and more coming soon.

Grasshopper
    Grasshopper
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Well, that’s covered all the general TF2 hop ups! Great looking build, can’t wait to see what you fab up for the flat bed

Axial SCX10 Dingo    RC4WD TF2 Hilux     RC4WD G2 D90     WPL C14

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Oh yes, I love to see a TF2 done well like this, can’t believe it’s your first leafer!  Will you be towing the newly won trailer with it, that will be quite a sight?

mark
    mark
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

So much want for that trailer.

Your metal skills put mine to shame.  I love leaf sprung trucks, way more challenging to drive and my driving is appalling.

toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Well, that’s covered all the general TF2 hop ups! Great looking build, can’t wait to see what you fab up for the flat bed

Thanks. More to come soon, hopefully.

Oh yes, I love to see a TF2 done well like this, can’t believe it’s your first leafer! Will you be towing the newly won trailer with it, that will be quite a sight?

I know. Always opted for performance so went with linked. Would like to try to make this one perform as good! It’s going to be more of a comp flatbed, so will probably add a tow bar to the blue Hilux!

So much want for that trailer. Your metal skills put mine to shame. I love leaf sprung trucks, way more challenging to drive and my driving is appalling.

Thanks Mark. I wish i had your styrene skills! I’m really looking forward to driving this, hopefully it will be ready for the G6. That’s the plan.

Tim_
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

The scale garage looks amazing. I still really want to do a TF2, this looks brilliant.

Grasshopper
    Grasshopper
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Bump. Ahem..  🙂

Just noticed two things: all those silver hex heads.. you’ve obviously decided against using the RC4WD ones (that are made from some type of Whitesnake or other soft metal!) Aaand, those scale dirty work boots!! Man, there’s some love and detail gone into that garage. Can’t wait to see what happens next with the build

toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

The scale garage looks amazing. I still really want to do a TF2, this looks brilliant.

Thank you. I’m really liking the TF2 build so far. Just hope I can get it done for the G6!

Bump. Ahem.. Just noticed two things: all those silver hex heads.. you’ve obviously decided against using the RC4WD ones (that are made from some type of Whitesnake or other soft metal!) Aaand, those scale dirty work boots!! Man, there’s some love and detail gone into that garage. Can’t wait to see what happens next with the build

I’ve collected a load of stainless bolts over the years, and just prefer to use them. I’ve used the original RC4WD hardware in the axles though, but yes, you have to be careful with them. The work boots actually came from the driver figure I used in the blue Hilux I built. I couldn’t get them in, but luckily they just pop off the ankles. I was going to just bin them, but thought they’d look ok in the garage!

I do love adding details to the garage. Just when i’m bored or got a few minutes spare I’ll look at it and think “what can I make tonight”

Small update coming soon on the build.

toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Small update. I’ve been waiting for some tires to arrive. I wanted to get the wheels fitted before I start bending the tube for the rear flatbed. So, until they are here, i’ve not done much more. I have, however, been working on a 90 body for my Dad’s Gelande 2 he’s building (see below).

So, I decided to be brave and chop up the bed of the Hilux. The 2 tabs where the bed bolts to the cab were the perfect pieces for filling in the gap on the back of the cab. So, off they came.

I fixed them in place, and clamped the sides together before adding some splashes of MEK.

And, here’s how it looks after the first filling and sanding.

Also, started the bend up the roll bar, but I won’t do anymore until the tires arrive.

And lastly, here’s the D90 body. My dad wanted it converting to a flat back truck cab, so here’s the progress so far. I just need to put the bench seats and base in the back and it’ll be done.

More to come once my tires arrive!

Grasshopper
    Grasshopper
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Beautiful work as usual. I’d love to get my hands on another TF2.

Now you’ve MEK’d those bits in are you going to unbolt, fill and score the little air vent moulding on the side? You know, because I love to suggest things for other people to do that I couldn’t do myself.. 😀

toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Hmmm. I had thought about filling them in and just leaving the four mounting holes along the bottom. But not sure. I don’t want to make a mess up of the top venting holes. But I’ll probably attempt it.

Grasshopper
    Grasshopper
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I’m sure you’ve got all the reference pics you need but I was trawling through my saved images for the gallery thread and came across this image:

It struck me as almost identical to one you put up previously but also shows just how incredible scale certain aspects of the TF2 are.

toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Thanks for that. Not got any pics or the back of the cab like that. I’ve saved it.

mark
    mark
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Do you have a specific tube bender?

toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Do you have a specific tube bender?

I use a couple of different ones that I crudely made a few years ago. This one I usually use for solid rod. I clamp it in a vice, and the rod runs through 2 bearings. One fixed to the plate, and one fixed to the handle. Set up for 3/16″ or 5mm.

And this one I usually use for tubing. It’s just a bearing fixed to a steel plate. The tubing stops against the steel block. I clamp the tubing to the plate with mole grips. It gives a nice bend on tubing, but struggles with solid rod.

I made this, this evening using the second smaller bender.

Hope this helps.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 84 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.