Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    • Looking For Mud

Hi all,

Sorry I’m sure this has been asked before

Coming back to scale trucks not sure which to get jeep Cherokee kit or RTR

I will upgrade over time but the RTR I can drive straight away or is it false economy

Am I right only deference better links and shocks? On kit

Just the list would be expensive just to get going with the kit as would like a spectrum dx5 rugged decent servo and esc/motor combo And poss swap wheels and tyres

Am I better waiting until I can afford the kit and other bites

Or get the RTR and have fun and upgrade as and when money allows

You advice would be gratefully received

Nick

MarkBMarkB
    • Ready To Trail
    • ★★

Hi Nick, having recently bought and built my SCX10 II UMG kit, DX5 Rugged, ESC and motor combo, ultra torque savox servo, battery, paint etc etc, I can safely say that an RTR truck is much cheaper, however I specifically wanted a kit for a couple of reasons, firstly, building it is part of the fun for me, and secondly, if and when things brake or you want to upgrade, having already built it, changing parts is a much easier task (in my opinion) I totally understand that some people don’t really enjoy the build part and just want to drive it, so I guess it’s just a matter of personal choice and budget.

hope this helps

Mark

Steve CookSteve Cook
    • Looking For Mud

A bit late and you’ve probably already chosen, but the kit and the RTR have different transmissions too – the latter has the 3 gear style of Axial trans whilst the kit had a more scale looking thing with a drop box on the back, although the motor still runs alongside the trans. The kit gives better propshaft angles I think and is a slightly different ratio, but not enough to worry about.

Aside from the shock bodies and links you’ve already mentioned, the kit comes with a roof rack as well, looks nice in my opinion, but adds weight in the worst possible place!

As to which is best, I don’t think there is much in it, nor do I think there is a right or a wrong way – you’ll probably end up in the same place wherever you start from. I suspect the RTR will cost slightly more in the long run and you will end up with more left over components as you upgrade, but the kit will require more money in the first instance. I based my decision on the fact that I would rather build so started with a kit and went from there, I accept there were times when I wish I was outside running it around.

What ever you do, you’ll enjoy it, so pick what suits you today and crack on – upgrades are good suggestions for xmas presents..

Steve

Teds Tiny Trucks Youtube Instagram

Sysop
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

As Steve said the kit also has the newer transmission with the all steel gears.  I’ve always tended to go for the kits as I enjoy building them and then when repairs or upgrades are required I know how to disassemble and what to expect.  You will probably end up replacing the motor and servo so it could be a false economy to go for the RTR.

However, as you say, you’re straight onto the trails with the RTR and if you have a limited budget it at least gets you driving.

Retrocosm On YouTube   Instagram   Website   Twitter   Facebook JSScale Team Driver

• Looking For Mud

Hi all,

Thanks for the reply’s still not made a decision yet if I went for the kit what motor/esc servo would you suggest?

I’ve had an older scx some years ago stayed brushed and upgraded the esc and servo

I know money is always the deciding factor

Servo I used to use savox but which one 1256?

Motor wound you go brushes? And what would you suggest? Would £100 be enough

Before just trailed local in  the cotswolds but would like to meet up with others and maybe the nationals next year.

Any help would be great

Getting pressure from my wife as it will be xmas present and time is running out

Nick

Pete AttrydePete Attryde
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Nick,

I would also go for the kit. Nothing wrong with the RTR. I just prefer the Kit gearbox lay out. The RTR uses the tried and true old school SCX10 gearbox which makes putting an interior in harder as it sits in the middle of the chassis, where as the kit gearbox sits lower and more towards the front, it also looks more scale as it has an atlas style transfer case built in.

Servo. I would suggest one of these from Amazon :- 20kg servo I find for the money they are great. I have and do use Savox and Hitec servos but for general trailing and the 2 ‘events’ I do a year (Nationals and G6) I don’t really see the point in spending the extra money.

Motor/ESC. I would stick with brushed and go for the Hobbywing Quicrun 1080 ESC and pretty much any of the cheap 35t rebuildable 540 motors (GoolRC, Austar etc). They are all made in the same factory. Austar motor on Amazon . If you contact Igbandy he does a brilliant service that gets the best from these motors.

I have run the above combination in most of my rigs and have run them at the Nationals and the G6 with no issues.

Hope this helps some,

Pete.

Pete's Scale Fab Shop - Facebook  Instagram

Sysop
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Absolutely what Pete said, Quicrun 1080 for your ESC and a 30-35t rebuildable brushed motor.  You can pick up a GoolRC motor for less than a Tenner.  If you want to spend a little more on your motor the Holmes Hobbies machine wound are excellent and the hand wound are super smooth.

Retrocosm On YouTube   Instagram   Website   Twitter   Facebook JSScale Team Driver

• Looking For Mud

Hi all,

Thanks for the advice

That means I can get motor/esc and servo for £65 that makes a real difference.

Nick

• Looking For Mud

Hi all,

If I ran the above set up would I need a BEC?

Nick

Pete AttrydePete Attryde
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Hi all, If I ran the above set up would I need a BEC? Nick

You shouldn’t need one as the 1080 BEC is pretty good and the servo isn’t overly power hungry.

Pete's Scale Fab Shop - Facebook  Instagram

Sysop
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I don’t run a BEC with any of my 1080’s and have not had any problems.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.