Scale RC Forum Forum Members’ Builds Newbies Corner where to start? Newbie advise please

• This topic has 4 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by Shmoo.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    • Topics 1
    • Replies 2
    • Looking For Mud

Hi, I built a Tamiya Grasshopper buggy when I was growing up but lost interest in my later teens, and am interested in getting another kit to build up now I’m somewhat older! I’m interested in the Tamiya Monster and Blitzer Beetle or Lunchbox kits, but also like the look and idea of building a ‘rock crawler’ but the choice is a bit mind blowing and I don’t know where to start. I’ve not got a massive budget as I don’t want to waste my money just to see if I like it again (ideally under £300 all in with radio kit and batteries etc).

Any help and advise, good or bad is appreciated.

thanks

Sysop
    • Topics 120
    • Replies 1582
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Hey Shmoo,

I’ve always had a soft spot for Tamiya, I had a Frog when I was a lad.  I’ve been a bit out of the loop for a few months but I always hear good things about the Carisma Scale Adventure SCA-1E, the RTR of which comes in under £300 I believe.

Having said that I don’t have one, I have had quite a few Axial products over the years, they’re very good.  I think there are RTR SCX10-IIs that come in at a little over £300.  Also a good choice if you can stretch your budget.

Others may chip in with some ideas but definitely check out the SCA-1E.

Retrocosm On YouTube   Instagram   Website   Twitter   Facebook JSScale Team Driver

• Topics 1
    • Replies 2
    • Looking For Mud

Thanks very much for info , will have a look at those. Starting to think a crawler rc and maybe a rtr is the way to go, certainly to start with

markmark
    • Topics 48
    • Replies 1580
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I’ve got nothing against the Carisma but I’d look towards the Axial Scx10ii as there’s soo much scope to upgrade and modify. Everything from chassis parts to body mounting options. It’ll suit all budgets as eBay has a lot to offer from China.
    If you go rtr it saves on electrics so 1st mod would be servo horn and then upgrade as parts ware out.
    I hope this helps.

• Topics 1
    • Replies 2
    • Looking For Mud

Thanks for all the info

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.