Scale RC Forum Forum Members’ Builds Off-Road builds Toyzuki Comanche Build

This topic contains 32 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Retrocosm 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I’m going to build a new Class 2 comp truck and have decided to base it around the Toyzuki V2 chassis.  For those unfamiliar with these kits they take the transmission parts from an SCX10.2 and rearrange them in a manner which provides the option of overdrive to the front axle, something I’ve wanted with AR44 axles for some time now.  The motor is moved forward and low down in the chassis to aid with performance.

Here’s a completed example:-

toy2019_2

Two additional Axial drive shafts are required to complete the build, AX31410 and AX31134 and they are rarer than hen’s teeth.  In fact I had to source one of them from Australia and the other from Germany.

P1070948

The Toyzuki kit itself came from Amain Hobbies in the States.

P1070962

P1070967

I’m thinking of using this new Comanche body from Team Raffee, although it’s pretty big, very similar dimensions to the RC4WD Blazer in fact.  It is very good quality, the plastic is thick and it bolts together very nicely.

P1070939P1070940P1070943P1070941

Yuuta83
    Yuuta83
    • Ready To Trail
    • ★★

Thats a really cool looking chassis kit and that body looks alot better show like that compared to the promo shows I have seen of it jacked up with that blower etc on it… will be following this build for sure…

Current Rig ~ Rc4wd G2 FJ40 Cruiser
    1/10 Scale Garage

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Agreed, the body does look better than some of the promo shots suggest.

The chassis is kinda cool and I made some good progress putting it together this evening.  First up was to build the transfer case.  The bearings fit in nice and tightly and are held in place by some washers.

P1070973

You can also see here the method of securing the braces to the chassis rails.  I’d read a few nightmare stories of people having problems locating the nuts but I had no problems, perhaps the slots have been slightly widened.

Next up, first use of one of the additional shafts required.

P1070976

P1070978

You can see here that you have the option of standard or overdrive to the front axle.

P1070981

P1070982

Added the other side and then remembered I’d bought this case cover from Shapeways.

P1070984

P1070988

On to the tranmission.

P1070992P1070994

There’s an o-ring supplied that slots between the bearing and the pinion.

P1070998

P1080001

Did it again, added these supports and then realised I didn’t need then as I had another piece from Shapeways.

P1080002

All assembled.

P1080005

Start assembling the chassis.

P1080008

I’m following the build thread on RCCrawler but looking at this I’m thinking it would be better for weight distribution if the motor and servo won’t both on the same side.  I may see if the servo bracket can be flipped.

P1080009

The intention is that you use the drive shafts supplied with the SCX10.2 but I found that the output shaft didn’t protrude far enough to allow me to engage the driveshaft screw pin.  Fortunately I had a Punisher shaft that fitted perfectly.  As you can see, the motor sits nice and low and towards but not right at the front.

P1080011

Next up is to build the axles, I have a set of standard AR44’s but I’m going to upgrade them with SSD parts.

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Put the axles together today.  I have to say I really am a fan of SSD stuff, really good value and great quality.

These are the Pro44 axle sets, plastic diff housings with some nice weighty metal tubes and the choice of two diff covers.  They went together really nicely, I also added SSD pro c-hubs, knuckles and brass weights.

P1080020

P1080022

P1080014

I wanted to add these brass link mounts from Samix but frustratingly they wouldn’t marry up.  Presumably with the plastic axle housings they can be cajoled in to place but not with the metal SSD ones.  A shame, they would have added another 10g of weight per axle.

P1080017

Nevertheless, completed the front and rear axles weigh in at a gravity seducing 320g and 295g respectively.

P1080032

I should now be able to run less weight in the wheels.  The steering lock on these is insane, coupled with the front overdrive I should be able to turn on a sixpence.

toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Nice collection of parts there Charlie. The axles look super. What are your plans for the body? Stock, or modded?

Al murray
    Al murray
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

liking the idea of tyhose 3D printed covers especially for the cogs.. any grease should stay in there now.

Are the frame parts deralin or carbon?

With the design of the frame and your added weighty axles this thing should be like a gecko on glass..

Al..

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Nice collection of parts there Charlie. The axles look super. What are your plans for the body? Stock, or modded?

Cheers, I’m a little undecided.  I don’t intend to chop it about, although part of me wants to lower the bed a bit more.  I also can’t decide between a simple spray job and a beaten up old rust bucket.

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

liking the idea of tyhose 3D printed covers especially for the cogs.. any grease should stay in there now. Are the frame parts deralin or carbon? With the design of the frame and your added weighty axles this thing should be like a gecko on glass.. Al..

Yes, I didn’t fancy running it with all those gear parts exposed so I’m glad these cases have been produced.  The material used is G10 composite apparently, which is a high-pressure fiberglass laminate.

Hehe, I like the gecko on glass idea, that’s the sort of thing I’m hoping for!

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I’ve added the links, shocks and drive shafts.  The links are the standard SCX10.2 kit ones.  The shocks are I think Losi 5ive ones which I have pinched from another build.  They are really nice shocks and have excellent controlled rebound.  The drive shafts a couple of RC4WD Punisher shafts and an RCModelex one that I had kicking about.

P1080038P1080040P1080044P1080041

Epic steering, check.

P1080046

Epic ground clearance, check.

P1080048

Epic drive shaft angles above links, check.

P1080049P1080050

Panhard bar, fail.  The stock one isn’t long enough, I’ll need to make up a replacement.

P1080052

Wheelbase is spot on, the front will sit a little lower than this when properly attached.

P1080055

toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Looks awesome. I bet it’ll be super capable.

Do i spy a glasses case?

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Looks awesome. I bet it’ll be super capable. Do i spy a glasses case?

Indeed you do, well spotted .🧐

For reasons that shall remain uncertain I sprayed the Comanche in poo brown today, or what’s more commonly known as Ford Roman Bronze.  It seemed like a good idea as I stood intoxicated by the smell of bicycle tyres in Halfords and it may yet grow on me.  Ironically, given that I’m not that keen on the colour I achieved what is probably the best finish I have to date.

P1080770

P1080759

ScaleAddict
    • Scaling Like A Pro
    • ★★★★★

The chassis looks super capable and that colour suits well the comanche IMO

Davy Crockett
    Davy Crockett
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Cracking build so far!

I got the Roman bronze by mistake for my Blazer and happy I did. Really dark brown but it the light a nice metallic bronze, not a flip paint but subtle shade change 😀

mark
    mark
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Fantastic choice of colour. Im itching to try one of those shells out.

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

The chassis looks super capable and that colour suits well the comanche IMO

I’m hoping so, if I’m going to haul this huge body around a class 2 course the chassis is going to have to live up to its reputation!

Cracking build so far! I got the Roman bronze by mistake for my Blazer and happy I did. Really dark brown but it the light a nice metallic bronze, not a flip paint but subtle shade change 

Fantastic choice of colour. Im itching to try one of those shells out.

Cheers chaps, the colour is definitely a grower, I think with matt black grill, bed, flares etc it’s going to look pretty good.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.