Scale RC Forum Forum Members’ Builds Off-Road builds The Scale Fab Shop Axial Capra.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    PetePete
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

So having spent far to much time over the last few years making portals fit tiny trucks that shouldn’t of had them, this week I bought a tiny truck with portals as standard and then promptly removed them 🤣

So here is the almost complete Non-Portal Axial Capra. I went for SSD Racing Diamond Pro Axle casings from RC Bitz Ltd along with SSD C-hubs and Knuckles. All the stock links work (I just had to slightly lengthen the uppers both front and back. Made a new on axle servo mount, and used a stock SCX10-II drag link with a random steering link. Holmes 13T 5 Slot Crawl Master with a Hobbywing 1080 esc and a Power HD 20Kg servo.

20191019_18164120191019_181648

Still need to put the correct wheels and tires on it and a smaller pinion as it has a touch to much wheel speed at the moment. I also want to add a couple of limit straps as the axles have way to much down travel at the moment.

Flexes pretty well though.

20191019_181704

The way this drives reminds me of my old AX-10 comp crawler especially with the dig. Should make a fun class 3 rig though.

More as it happens.

🙂

Pete's Scale Fab Shop - Facebook  Instagram

Sysop
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

But you’re Pete Portal, world’s gone mad 😉

Retrocosm On YouTube   Instagram   Website   Twitter   Facebook JSScale Team Driver

PetePete
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

It’s fine, normal service will resume in the very near future. As the axles from this are destined for the Black Mog.

markmark
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I can’t get over how small these are but are class 3.

PetePete
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

So having run the Capra for the first time a couple of weeks ago and working out what else I wanted to change.

I have an irrational hate for axle mounted servos, so first up I set about moving the servo to the chassis. I chose to kind of replicate a hydruaIic setup using a push pull bowden cable system.

First off I knocked up a design for a servo mount and then 3d printed it. I had to trim the cage slightly to allow full movement on the servo.

Bowden Servo mount rev 1

20200105_142728

With the servo mounted the bowden cables were made using ptfe tubing, left over from building a 3d printer, and a gear cable removed from an old push bike, plus a couple of bits of scrap metal I had laying about. I fabbed up a very rough and ready turnbuckle on one of the cables so I could adjust the tension.

20200112_145222

Quick video to show it all working.

I designed and printed a new battery tray so I could use larger batteries.

Capra battery tray

20200112_115531

20200112_115550

Due to the axles being slightly narrower than the stock ones and the offset of the wheels the rig looked narrow, especially at the rear so the 3d print was again used this time to make four 10mm wheel spacers with these installed I am much happier with the overall stance.

20200112_145505

20200112_145449

I also installed an, again 3d printed, upper link mount riser to help counter the torque twist by improving the link angles.

I need to get an aluminium servo arm and add an extra brace to the rear of the cage, as the servo is causing it to flex more than I would like, at which point I will run it again to see if it works properly.

More soon, and as always thanks for looking.

Sysop
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

With you on the axle mounted servos. That looks fantastic Pete! Pardon my ignorance but do the cables extend all the way from the servo arms to the knuckles, I can quite make out exactly how it works?

Retrocosm On YouTube   Instagram   Website   Twitter   Facebook JSScale Team Driver

markmark
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I’m going to be your biggest cheerleader at the G6 in May. I’ll even help carry the bits back to the car.😂

PetePete
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

With you on the axle mounted servos. That looks fantastic Pete! Pardon my ignorance but do the cables extend all the way from the servo arms to the knuckles, I can quite make out exactly how it works?

Yep, cables go all the way from the servo arm to the knuckle. 20200112_115523

I’m going to be your biggest cheerleader at the G6 in May. I’ll even help carry the bits back to the car.😂

You sir are a gentleman 🙂 at least it light if it does break.

PetePete
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Took the Capra for it’s maiden run with the relocated steering today at the disused quarry near Pentre Halkyn, in Flint.

20200201_093341

Very happy with the results overall. The steering works really well and seems to be fairly robust as it survived some fairly large falls on to the front end with no ill effects.

20200201_11470520200201_11462820200201_11342720200201_113636

As suspected I need to change the tires as, although much better than expected, the Falkens don’t work well on the sort of terrain I normally run on.

I also need to swap the motor out for something a bit slower as the overall speed is to high and I can’t lower the gearing anymore.

Thanks as ever for looking, watch this space for future updates.

MarkBMarkB
    • Hitting The Trail
    • ★★★

Looks great and an amazing location too 👍🏻

markmark
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I was surprised at how quick these are. The rtr was trying to pop wheelies. It looks mad on steamrollers.

PetePete
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Looks great and an amazing location too 👍🏻

Thanks, and yes it is a great location has a nice variety of terrain to play on.

I was surprised at how quick these are. The rtr was trying to pop wheelies. It looks mad on steamrollers.

That’s actually interesting to know as this doesn’t have the extra gear reduction that the portals provide which is why I thought this was so fast, but from what you have found it sounds like yet another over geared axial design.

I do like the look with the steamrollers on and am hoping to get a set of Ottsix KLRs in 2.2 as they are almost exactly the same size as the Falkens but provide a lot more grip on the loose stuff.

PetePete
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Not done much with this since the run at Pentre Halkyn.

I gave up on finding 2.2 KLR’s as no one seems to have stock, however I did find some 130mm 2.2 Iroks (cheap chinese brand) that appear to be fairly grippy and are the same diameter as the Falkens, I also treated it to some new wheels. The last change has been to swap the Holmes Hobbies 2200kv ver 1 sensored revolver motor in to this which has helped slow it down a bit, but has also given it a load more torque, I hope this will help with run time too.

20200308_164306

I just need to find some time to run it again now.

More soon,

thanks as always for taking an interest.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.