This topic contains 19 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Retrocosm 22 hours, 56 minutes ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    JoeB
    JoeB
    • Looking For Mud

Is anyone in this going to the superscale event in Germany at the beginning of June ? Myself and a friend are booked in and are going to check it out and have a go, Or if anyone has already competed in it over the last few years is it as good as it looks ?

mark
    mark
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I’ve wanted to for the last couple of years. Last year fell on my daughters birthday so I couldn’t go and sadly my car was written off last summer and the current one would cost a fortune in fuel. I may look into a flight for next year.

JoeB
    JoeB
    • Looking For Mud

Blimey I’m  quite surprised that know one apart from Mark had made a comment, I thought there would of been loads of you that have been or at least want too.  Hope that doesn’t mean it’s not as good as it looks.

Grasshopper
    Grasshopper
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

With family ties, work and general lack-of-money-ness, I often find it hard to get a spare day to get out locally, let alone fly to another country to have a play!

Don’t fret though, I’m sure it’s every bit as awesome as the YT videos would have you believe 🙂

Axial SCX10 Dingo D90    RC4WD TF2 Hilux     RC4WD G2 D90

Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I have always wanted to go, but am unable to.

raven62
    raven62
    • Scaling Like A Pro
    • ★★★★★

I am able to go (just one hour to drive to the location) but I don‘t want.

For me ( and my agoraphobie ) it is a too big event, but everybody I know who was there is just excited about the location, the trails and the people.

Enjoy it!

Regards

Ralf

Pete Attryde
    Pete Attryde
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

It’s an event I would very much like go to, and have made a couple of attempts to sort out the logistics of going, but as is often the way, life has thrown a spanner in the works and I have not made it out there yet. May be next year will be the trip that happens.

Pete's Scale Fab Shop - Facebook  Instagram

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I’ve just come back from SuperScale 2019. I’ve been wanting to go ever since I discovered it on YT a few years ago, so super happy to have made it at last.

Thoughts I thunk:

First and foremost, it’s an RC event of a scale I’ve not encountered before. ~400 registered visitors on Saturday, another ~300 on Sunday, not counting the people who bought tickets on the day at the gate.

Location. The quarry it used to be in became too small, so this year SuperScale moved to an offroad/4×4 park 120 miles ENE from that quarry just outside Dortmund. That makes it further for pretty much anyone not coming down from Berlin. There is technically no limit to the number of people they can accomodate on the new grounds. The field for camping had herds of tents and caravans and motorhome lorries and normal motorhomes and cars in it, and filled maybe one 10th of the field.

Next two pics – my back to the SuperScale entrance, first looking left and then right. Squint through the tents to get sense of the immensity of that space.

Camping 1

Camping 2

This was my spot. Crazy thundershower on the Friday at 11pm. Thought I was going to get blown away for sure, but survived. Crap tent. Need a new one. Or better yet rent a motorhome.

Camping 3

Being an offroad park there were also some crazy awesome 1:1 trucks, vans and lorries there. I kept telling myself I’d take more photos but… didn’t.

First a Land Rover, exactly where it should be. Parked up on a tree stump.

Trucks 1

Trucks 2

Trucks 3

Trucks 4

Trucks 5

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

You could spend hours cruising the camp ground looking at trucks and crawlers and cars and bikes, but I didn’t because RC.

Anyways, SuperScale itself. There were two gates – one for day visitors, the other for people camping. Here’s a pic of the queue forming at the day-visitor gate at around 8:30am on Saturday (I volunteered as a helper so had free rein everywhere, at any time).

Gate 1

The photo above was taken from the driver area. That’s a little field in which anyone with an entry ticket can set up a gazebo, table, chairs, and display stuff for sale, their trucks, and if you have a long enough extention cord (50 metres should do) charge your batteries.

This was my little corner. Never did get time to set myself up properly.

SuperScale driver area 1

Here’s the only other pic I took of the area.

SuperScale driver area 2

Food. There’s a restaurant about 5 minutes’ walk from the SuperScale entrance at the camping grounds. I never made it there (as a volunteer you’re either playing with tiny trucks, or something official you should be doing) but hear the food is basic (burgers and the like) but amazing. Portions reported to be huge.

I survived on crisps, Haribo and coffee, and occasionally some food from Ghana cooked up inside SuperScale using an old 1950’s military field kitchen, towed there by two for reals Hanomags, from the same era. If they’re there next year and you go, BEWARE OF THE CHILLI. Doused myself with a fire extinguisher and was still doing handstands in the shower the next morning.

SuperScale field kitchen 1

This thing is totes begging to be scratch built…

SuperScale field kitchen 2

Finally, across the way from the driver gazebos and stuff were these three.

Crawlers

For Eur. 50 you could go through the 1:1 comp course as a passenger. You’d be brown from head to toe so a change of clothes is useful. They also did tours of the 1:1 playground in an Unimog. Might go along for a ride next year.

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Finally, the raison d’etre –

They put an unbelievable amount of effort into the various tiny truck driver areas. There was a freescale section, where you did what you liked. It’s where they had all the scale buildings, bridges, that monster suspension bridge spanning a little lake they made just for the event, and that ferry, which was on a for-reals little lake beside the freescale area. I spent all of my time driving here, as I officialled there a lot, making sure only tiny trucks were in there, and no people.

SuperScale 1

SuperScale 2

SuperScale 3

SuperScale 4

SuperScale 5

SuperScale 6

SuperScale 7

SuperScale 8

SuperScale 9

I never did the bridge. The water’s only 50cm deep but I wasn’t risking a scratch build for a photo.

SuperScale 10

SuperScale 11

SuperScale 12

SuperScale 13

SuperScale 14

SuperScale 15

There was also a tank trap, which was hard core. Mud, insane climbs, twists and turns. It’s where you’re un your class 2 and three rigs, assuming SuperScale followed SORCCA (which it doesn’t).

The most popular area was the Challenge area, which was the only “comp” course there. Again anything goes, as long as it’s a crawler, ABSOLUTELY NOT LEXAN, and MORE ABSOLUTELYER not a Bomber, Wraith, on-TRX4 Traxxas, and so on. The rule for SuperScale is ladder frame, hardbody, crawler.

Anyways I walked through the Challenge area, but never did drive it because as it was it was over-subscribed by paying customers.

The last area was ScaleVenture. This was much closer to what I knew in the UK, where the LSTR pegs out a course through the woods and while gates were limited to the Challnge, here you absolutely needed revocery gear. Winch at the least, but tow ropes and sand ladders were used with abandon in abundance. Again, I walked through the area but never got to drive it. Good thing too because none of by trucks had a winch.

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Ok FINALLY finally, my best and worst parts of SuperScale.

Bad first. I guess what I struggled with a bit in the biginning is how all the news, updates and details for SuperScale are in the RockCrawler.de forum. SuperScale has a web site at http://SuperScale.rocks, but that’s just a flyer. It blows my mind that I have to dig up an obscure posting in a 3-rd level topic on a German forum. Especially when you consider that people come from all over the world (Warren & friend who’se name I didn’t catch from Boom Racing came all the way from Hong Kong). Ace guy, by the way.

Anyways, the web site. It should (but doesn’t) include ALL details. And not even the forum post mentioned anything about where/how/if you could charge batteries. Luckily as a helper I was too busy to get through more than 3 2200 LiPos. There’s also no information available anywhere (that I know of) about what you can do in the driver’s area. Nothing on amenities, food, whether the camp site showers have warm water (they do at 7am, but not at 5pm), or where they are…

This makes it very friendly for return visitors, but an akward uncertianty game of should-I-risk-looking-like-a-nana-by-asking-or-not for first-timers. Yeah. 20 years in the UK clearly affected me.

Anyway. Lets get onto the good.

First impression of the various driver areas was “these courses offer zero challenge”. I was very wrong. It is EXACTLY what I wish the UK Scale Nationals were. A place you can take your £1,000+ scale truck and be challenged without risking all that careful work. A palce where people geek out over these things in a way I’ve rarely seen in the UK (looking at you Pete). Propeller heads of note (looking at you Jon. And Mark, Charlie, Niel and … ok so maybe I have seen it in the UK too…). I dug it.

The best though, was the people. Hooked up with people I’d met previously, like Thomas Peat. Met new people like that hilarious and talented Bavarian @madmolker. And then there was the JS Scale team…

Jerome (tall dude with the beard) agreed to paint my Citroen H. They liked my builds, so obviously that’s going to make an impression. And they had the entire GCM Racing range on display, so I got to go geek over the Delta chassis, which seeing for real is always better than looking at a photo.

JSScale 1

JSScale 2

I think it was Serge who wanted a photo of the Bronco Concept, so here it is on the JS Scale stand. Looking super lifted because it hadn’t settled yet.

JSScale 3

So that’s my experience of Super Scale 2019. If you want to know a thing I forgot to mention, ask. If you’re considering going and need a recommendation, I wholeheartedly recommend going. Best RC event I’ve been to evar.

Next up the Belgian Recon G6 and 12-hour FIX in August…

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Oh and one more thing. If you’re considering going next year, remember that you shouldn’t take LiPos on a plane so they could be confiscated at the airport. Also, train via Euro tunnel is a good alternative although it takes longer. You can get to pretty much anywhere in Europe from Brussels by train, or you could rent a car. Renting a motor home or minivan is also a cost effective alternative if you’re able to drum up one or two companions.

Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Thank you so much for posting all this information and all the great pictures for those of us who couldn’t make it over to this event, it is very much appreciated Mike.

First impressions are the new location doesn’t quite match the epic scale backdrop of the original quarry which always looked so damn cool.  However I guess needs must in terms of logistics and it still looks like the organisers made a serious effort to set out some scale courses and succeeded.

Your trucks as always looks fantastic on location and it’s great to see scale courses with obstacles that you can drive rather than just use brute force and ignorance to bash over.  The huge bridge however looks seriously scary to drive across at that height!

The combination of the language barrier and what you describe as a slightly lackadaisical approach to providing details for new drivers puts me off somewhat, however just coming and geeking around, looking at all the other trucks really appeals to me, plus I’d have to have my wallet secured by a third party before going anywhere near that JSScale stand!

It would be great to see an event like this in the UK, I wish I’d got into this hobby twenty years ago when I had no commitments and plenty of spare time to help put something similar together.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Grasshopper
    Grasshopper
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Excellent write up and photos, definitely the most comprehensive read I’ve had on this event. Looks like the weather was kind too!

That suspension bridge is something else!!

Axial SCX10 Dingo D90    RC4WD TF2 Hilux     RC4WD G2 D90

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Weird. I replied. Edited the reply and now the reply is gone. Anyway, repost.

Thank you so much for posting all this information and…

Excellent write up and photos, definitely the most comprehensive read…

You’re both welcome 😃

…new location doesn’t quite match the epic scale backdrop of the original quarry…

That’s the truth right there. And you could tell everytime a benefit of the new location was mentioned, that everyone was thinking it, but no one was saying it.

…it’s great to see scale courses with obstacles that you can drive rather than just use brute force and ignorance to bash over.

Also true. The LSTR gets it right, why can’t the UK Scale Nationals. But enough moaning from me 😉

The combination of the language barrier

Hey it’s worth noting that ALL communications no matter how hard to find are both in German AND in English. Something I forgot to mention above is that SuperScale actually has a quality Pulbic Address system including a speaker dedicated to the camp grounds. EVERYTHING was announced in both German and English.

Also, virtually every German speaks a passable English. Stereotypes come to mind sometimes, but the Germans see the English in much the same way the English view the Germans 😎

It would be great to see an event like this in the UK, I wish I’d got into this hobby twenty years ago when I had no commitments and plenty of spare time to help put something similar together.

Yeah. Pete and I started talking about this just before Brexit happened and I bailed. I’d still love to organize an event and make it into what I consider to be the ideal. Does begin and end with a killer location though. Like that quarry outside Dortmund…

The huge bridge however looks seriously scary to drive across at that height!

That suspension bridge is something else!!

It’s even more impressive in the flesh. Almost inconcievably long, high and tall. There was another bridge there though that was not for driving over but looked way better than any bridge I’ve ever seen. Hiiden gems like that make just add to the special of it all.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.