Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 129 total)
  • Author
    outback
      • Scale Off Road Pro
      • ★★★★★★

With the need for a 6×6 again I have started on one of these ,it will have a 270mm wheelbase overall
      and will be running axial axles (just because I have them doing nothing )
      DSC01408_zps6346a101.jpg

Tonysmini
        • Scaling Like A Pro
        • ★★★★★

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Es2j5dhjfI

This truly is a thing of beauty.

outback
          • Scale Off Road Pro
          • ★★★★★★

Dam
            • Scale Off Road Pro
            • ★★★★★★

It would be very cool to have one of these to play with, Love the splash down video. ;)

Tim_
              • Scale Off Road Pro
              • ★★★★★★

My friend has a real one of these. Very broken but amazingly cool!

Anonymous
                • Scale Off Road Pro
                • ★★★★★★

I was lucky enough to have the chance to drive one of those stalwart’s back in 78, I passed my class2 HIV in one out in Germany. I needed a class2 so I could drive a SARACEN 6×6 ambulance when in NI. I sure as hell never tried to jump the thing off a cliff though. But I do remember a guy went AWOL with one and he was caught trying to drive the thing back to England from fallingbostell via the sea from near hamburg. Daft sod never even got into the sea before he had used all the fuel and the jerry cans in the back were all empty 😆 he was a scouser called Sid sidebottom, wonder where he is now? Still pinching cars maybe :whistle:

outback
                  • Scale Off Road Pro
                  • ★★★★★★
                  Dalethebuilder wrote:
                  I was lucky enough to have the chance to drive one of those stalwart’s back in 78, I passed my class2 HIV in one out in Germany. I needed a class2 so I could drive a SARACEN 6×6 ambulance when in NI. I sure as hell never tried to jump the thing off a cliff though. But I do remember a guy went AWOL with one and he was caught trying to drive the thing back to England from fallingbostell via the sea from near hamburg. Daft sod never even got into the sea before he had used all the fuel and the jerry cans in the back were all empty 😆 he was a scouser called Sid sidebottom, wonder where he is now? Still pinching cars maybe :whistle:

I have herd stories of people trying to pinch them and drive across the sea :ohmy:

this is my moc up for now ,it will be running 108mm tires

alvisstalwart004_zps99f8b5a6.jpg
                  044_zps5524ff75.jpg

Earl
                    • Scale Off Road Pro
                    • ★★★★★★

B) B) B)

outback
                      • Scale Off Road Pro
                      • ★★★★★★

with moc up done I went to see chris at radshape rc who produced this for me
                      DSCN11781_zpsa799a488.jpg
                      this will now be the main chassis and form a good strong base to work from .

Tim_
                        • Scale Off Road Pro
                        • ★★★★★★

Is it going to float? You could probably Do it a few ways thinking about it!

Waterproof everything and put a second motor and steering mechanism in that you could switch on to take power and signal from the main motor and steering. it would require some clever use of floating aids such as polystyrene hidden in the chassis out of sight but it would work!

outback
                          • Scale Off Road Pro
                          • ★★★★★★
                          Tim_ wrote:
                          Is it going to float? You could probably Do it a few ways thinking about it!

Waterproof everything and put a second motor and steering mechanism in that you could switch on to take power and signal from the main motor and steering. it would require some clever use of floating aids such as polystyrene hidden in the chassis out of sight but it would work!

I will pass on the floating bit as of yet ,few ideas have crossed my mind :unsure: .but getting the axles linked and driven is the main thing at the moment

Anonymous
                            • Scale Off Road Pro
                            • ★★★★★★

This is an amazing project, I bet it will be fantastic when finished. A chap in the next street to us had a real one for years, it was in fantastic condition. He has moved now but I can remember seeing it drive past our house on many occasions.

outback
                              • Scale Off Road Pro
                              • ★★★★★★

Got some slots for the axles done now
                              133_zps3185c0b9.jpg
                              the y links were taking up to much space so I made these
                              s111_zps72832429.jpg
                              s112_zps31219850.jpg
                              and in place taking up a lot less space
                              s13_zps2c732795.jpg

Anonymous
                                • Scale Off Road Pro
                                • ★★★★★★

I am watching this one with interest :cheer:

Nice progress so far.

Tim_
                                  • Scale Off Road Pro
                                  • ★★★★★★
                                  Red Devil wrote:
                                  This is an amazing project, I bet it will be fantastic when finished. A chap in the next street to us had a real one for years, it was in fantastic condition. He has moved now but I can remember seeing it drive past our house on many occasions.

Brave! We worked out that my friends Stolly could be insured for 4,000 miles/year for a reasonable sum. Then we worked out it was £12,000 worth of fuel to drive that far :blink: and they don’t like being driven on Tarmac with fresh tyres either!

Very cool project, are the wheels going to steer front and back?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 129 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.