This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Tyke 2 weeks, 4 days ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    grubbybuz
    grubbybuz
    • Crawler Pro

I have had an unpainted lexan body sitting around for ages,last weekend i found myself a bit uninspired with the jobs i should have been doing and decided to use what left over paints i have to paint up that lexan body.

Thought i would share the rusty bits with you, the same salty technique can be applied to hard bodies

IMG_20171015_211602_578

An old Axial SCX10 CF-100 Kustom dont expect theres many of these left…

Yuk i hear you cry…yep

First off I cut the body,washed it out,masked the windows as per usual then gave the inside a few coats of Tamiya gunmetal PS23.

IMG_20180429_121740_238

Once that had dried out i gave it another final interior coat of matt black.

So time to tear off the outer wrap and mask up the windows,i then slammed on some more Tamiya gunmetal to the outside thats my primer sorted,i followed that with some leftover LC70 gunmetal (Halfords Toyota Dacoma gray) blasted it off with a hairdrier and chucked on what was left of the brown Wrangler paint (Halfords ultra matt brown).

20180429_133456

Um yeah so thats my base layer whilst that was drying off i had a dig through my paint box to see what else i have…

20180429_135326

Ooh grandad red a Humbrol acrylic thats my factory paint,being an old sort of dinosaur of a thing i imagined it had a repaint in the er sixties or something.

So to give the top coat of paint a weathered look i sprinkled some table salt over the body in a random manner then chucked some of my top coat on this time another Halfords special ultra matt green, whilst the paint is still wet sprinkle some more salt on to those areas where the salt would otherwise just fall off,i tend to hold the body inside and turn it on its side and sprinkle spray sprinkle spray,I dont want the effect confined to the roof and hood.

I gave this quite a few light coats to build it up

20180429_141128

Once that dried up i attacked it with the rough side of a washing up sponge to remove all the salt and gave it a bit of wet n dry and washed it all off.

20180429_144826

20180429_144758

20180429_144837

20180429_171132

The hairdrier greatly speeds up the whole process this is an afternoons work!

I have wet and dried a few areas here and there so the red just shines through,kept it subtle for the moment I kinda like the Icon derelict look a lot…mmmm

As you can see with very little effort you can achieve a nice vintage iron effect.

Hoping this helps

grubbybuz
    grubbybuz
    • Crawler Pro

20180429_171211

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Crawler Pro

Excellent stuff Grubby, that’s a really cool effect you’ve created there and a very helpful tutorial.  Thanks for posting that 🙂

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Grasshopper
    Grasshopper
    • Crawler Pro

That’s condi-mental! Love it, really well explained and documented. I can’t see too much of the base metal/green/reds coming through, are you going to lightly sand it back in areas or is it just that the little nuances don’t show up in the photos as much as they do physically?

Axial SCX10 Dingo    RC4WD TF2 Hilux     RC4WD G2 D90     WPL C14

grubbybuz
    grubbybuz
    • Crawler Pro

Excellent stuff Grubby, that’s a really cool effect you’ve created there and a very helpful tutorial. Thanks for posting that 🙂

Cheers fella, I’m happy you approve!

That’s condi-mental! Love it, really well explained and documented. I can’t see too much of the base metal/green/reds coming through, are you going to lightly sand it back in areas or is it just that the little nuances don’t show up in the photos as much as they do physically?

Yes sir and thankyou, it is subtle at the moment,the pictures i took with my tablet in low light dont help,i will try to get some better pictures for you.I may well do a bit more sanding down in some areas.

As i add some details to this i will post em up,i plan to detail the body a little keeping it really cheap just to show what you can do for next to no pennys!

mark
    mark
    • Crawler Pro

At least its not just me touching lexan. Great use of colours, my attempt was just with red oxide and then the top coat. The Mrs was not impressed I used a bunch of salt up.

Tyke
    • Hitting The Trail

Nice work mush.. But Yer gonna have to find another spot to spray paint…. Anymore n I’ll be leavin ya ‘one trip bags!!’ Cos t’lid’ll be stuck down!!😂😆😂😆🙊

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.