Scale RC Forum General News & Discussion Scale RC News RC4WD Over/Under Drive Transfer Case For The TF2 & Gelande II

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Sysop
    • Topics 120
    • Replies 1569
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Finally, something that’s been on my wish list for some time, a transfer case from RC4WD that will overdrive your front axle on a TF2 or Gelande II or for that matter anything else you can fit it in.

Specifications:
    1.47 / 1 Gearing
    .8 Mod Gears
    Hardened Steel Gears
    Cast Casing
    Wide Gears
    Has same mounting as our popular Hammer Transfer Case
    Output Shaft OD: 0.19in / 5.0mm
    Total Weight: 6.21oz / 176g

Full details here.

As I understand it this slots straight into a TF2, for the Gelande II you also require a new mount and battery tray unless you want to fabricate your own.

Z-S1899-5Z-S1899-6Z-S1899-1

Why would I want to overdrive my front axles I hear you cry?  Well you may not if you want to stay scale, or you don’t ever drive competitively.

However with the locked axles found on trucks such at the Trail Finder II and Gelande II and indeed models from Axial and others, rotating the front axle a little faster than the rear improves the ability of your truck in a number of areas.

Firstly your steering will improve, the front will push on less when attempting to make those tight turns.  Secondly torque twist will be reduced and you’ll find your rig pulling itself over obstacles more easily and less inclined to lift its front wheels and roll over backwards.  Thirdly on descents you’ll find the under rotating rear wheels acting a little like a dig, helping prevent front roll overs.

But, but won’t this break my drivetrain I also hear you cry?  If you spend the vast majority of your time driving on loose surfaces it really should not be an issue.  If however you intend running some super sticky tyres on a super sticky surface then the additional strain on the drivetrain may eventually cause a problem.

Retrocosm On YouTube   Instagram   Website   Twitter   Facebook JSScale Team Driver

GrasshopperGrasshopper
    • Topics 30
    • Replies 641
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Thank you for the explanation. I was literally just going to ask that and you’ve answered my question and more.

I noticed they are also selling new ‘low profile’ transfer case brackets for these too – although they don’t look particularly low profile to me, prob 5mm difference, if that. I suppose every little helps!

Axial SCX10 Dingo D90    RC4WD TF2 Hilux     RC4WD G2 D90

Sysop
    • Topics 120
    • Replies 1569
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I think anything has to be better than the standard skids, the original TF2 one for example is known in our comp group as a built in land anchor.

Retrocosm On YouTube   Instagram   Website   Twitter   Facebook JSScale Team Driver

toyolientoyolien
    • Topics 80
    • Replies 581
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Doea anyone know if this will work with the rc4wd R4 scale transmission?

Sysop
    • Topics 120
    • Replies 1569
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I have to assume it would, if it can slot into a TF2 without modification it must put the input shaft in the same place to marry up with the output from the standard transmission?

toyolientoyolien
    • Topics 80
    • Replies 581
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Thats what i would have thought too. I was thinking about using my gcm transmission in another project and getting an R4 and this new transfer box for the Hilux I’m building now…

• Topics 36
    • Replies 643
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

That and the high clearance front shafts will make a decent difference to its ability.

MarkusMarkus
    • Topics 0
    • Replies 5
    • Looking For Mud

Thanks a lot for the explanation in understandable words. 👍🏻 it sounds like it would make trailing a lot easier with my TF2 Chevy. It pushes most of the time over the front axle

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.