Scale RC Forum Forum Members’ Builds Forum’s Finest Builds RC4WD Chevy K5 Blazer Build

This topic contains 151 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by Retrocosm 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 152 total)
  • Author
    Al murray
    Al murray
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Yep I used chrome sticky backed platic film in mines, works a treat, easy to get on ebay too.. I just did mines straight onto the lexan but I like that idea of using evergreen/plastic strip..

Al..

Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Cheers guys, do you see a black rubber strip in the middle of the chrome?

Charlie

Retrocosm On YouTube   Instagram   Website   Twitter   Facebook JSScale Team Driver

mark
    mark
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★
    Retrocosm wrote:
    Cheers guys, do you see a black rubber strip in the middle of the chrome?

Charlie

Yes

Al murray
    Al murray
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

that black strip on the chrome like the ones posted above isnt on them all, most seem to have plain chrome strip if fitted at all.

The American dealerships in the past often offer a wide variety of aftermarket finishes for their vehicles so its not unusual to see a wide variety of the factory add-ons on them..

if you look at the RC4WD body theres no chrome on the body sides and then compare it to the Vaterra one you will see it only has the thick lower chrome strip between the wheel arches..you will also note a few differences in grille and headlight layouts between the K5’s..

I also note the door handles are different on this kit to ones Ive seen on others so theres huge room for customisation.

I reccomend having a good look at image searches of the K5 and just decide from there.. Google K5 Blazer photo search

My next ones going back to that orange and white.. love that!!

Al..

Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Yes I’ve had a good look around, this appears to most closely resemble the late 70’s model.

I think the chrome strip might be a bit beyond my skills set but I’ll definitely do a colour strip.

Retrocosm On YouTube   Instagram   Website   Twitter   Facebook JSScale Team Driver

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★
    Retrocosm wrote:
    I think the chrome strip might be a bit beyond my skills set but I’ll definitely do a colour strip.

Hey you could just paint the body as usual, then mask the silver portions off and hose it down with something like Tamiya TS-30 Silver Leaf. I’d do the black line in the middle with a permanent marker. Being a bit OCD I’d probably mask that off too, or you could just run the marker along a ruler?

Neil
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I just bit the bullet as well. Think they must have got the shipping wrong? $6.00!!!

mark
    mark
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

:jawdrop: $6 to ship. I’ve got one on the way red and white with camper here I come.

Al murray
    Al murray
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

i just went through the buying and shipping process and was quoted $75 to ship in 5-10 days.. a bit steep..

Im awaiting a reply to see if theres a cheaper option, I dont mind waiting a bit

Al.. (yep, typical Scotsman trying to save cash again 😆 )

Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★
    Fourth Protocol wrote:
    Retrocosm wrote:

Hey you could just paint the body as usual, then mask the silver portions off and hose it down with something like Tamiya TS-30 Silver Leaf. I’d do the black line in the middle with a permanent marker. Being a bit OCD I’d probably mask that off too, or you could just run the marker along a ruler?

That sounds doable!

Charlie

Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★
    Dready wrote:
    I just bit the bullet as well. Think they must have got the shipping wrong? $6.00!!!

I wondered about that, it was so cheap I opted for the express service, still at only $26.00!

Charlie

Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★
    Al murray wrote:
    i just went through the buying and shipping process and was quoted $75 to ship in 5-10 days.. a bit steep..

Im awaiting a reply to see if theres a cheaper option, I dont mind waiting a bit

Al.. (yep, typical Scotsman trying to save cash again 😆 )

I think they must have got the shipping charges wrong on the early orders! I believe it’s out of stock already.

Charlie

Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

In anticipation of the arrival of the body set I though I’d do a bit of work on the chassis. I noticed on the 1:1s that the shock absorbers are stubby little ones angled back from the axle and attached directly to the chassis rails.

Front:-

frontshock.jpg

Rear:-

rearshock.jpg

The TF2 shocks are obviously way too long. I swapped the shorter front shocks on to the back and then had a hunt around for the shortest shocks I had.

This turned out to be the rears on my Sand Scorcher so I harvested them and tried out a few set ups.

Having previously modified my Cruiser from 4 link to leaf springs I had some brackets that attached to the top of the front axle allowing me to lower the point at which the shocks attached.

For now I’ve used holes that were already present in the chassis rails to attach the shocks but I might drill some new ones for the back to increase the angle.

This is of course all speculative as I don’t know what the ride height will be like until the body arrives but I do know I want it a bit lower than the examples on the RC4WD site.

Anyway some pictures of how it currently looks.

p1000643-4.jpg

p1000647-4.jpg

p1000650-4.jpg

Cheers, Charlie

Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Minor update.

Went ahead and drilled some more holes further back to locate the rear shocks and added some shock boots.

Charlie

p1000654.jpg

p1000656.jpg

Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Mmmm, looking again it seems the later model in the 80’s had the rear shock angling backwards. On the 70s model the kit is based on I think it angled forward.

Charlie

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 152 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.