Scale RC Forum General News & Discussion Scale Crawler Groups & Events RC shows this summer for those in the South East

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    GrasshopperGrasshopper
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

There’s two RC shows fairly locally to me that I look forward to every year:

Wings and Wheels at North Weald Airfield in Essex, 23rd and 24th June, website

This is fairly huge for an RC show with tonnes of vendors and quite a variety of RC fun to be had – it is primarily about the flying with incredible prop planes, jets, heli’s and drones etc. but there is also a Tamiya Trucking display, a huge paddling pool type affair with boats and subs, a big marquee with grizzled old sailors and their matchstick made scale boats (some incredible detail on these), a tank and military section and last year there was a stall with radio control full-size Daleks and R2-D2’s.. There’s not been any scale 4×4 stuff down there as yet but if a few of us take our trucks I’m sure there’d be loads of interest. A great day out all in all.

Hobbyking Live UK 2018 at Elmsett Airfield in Suffolk, 8th and 9th Sep, website (link not great, I think there’s a farcebook page with more info)

This a much smaller affair but it’s a great atmosphere. Again, very plane-, heli- and drone-centric but there was actually a small area with a few scale 4×4’s last time it was held at Elmsett. There was a cool track for buggy’s and trophy trucks too. Elmsett is actually a main warehouse for Hobbyking so stuff can be bought there direct or ordered for collection prior to arrival. The best thing about this small show was that they actually put on a completely free hog roast last time – go up as many times as you like and pig-out to your hearts content! If you got there early enough on the first day there were free bags of Hobbyking stuff, stickers, key fobs, brochures etc. too.

If anyone is interested, post up and we’ll see if we can put some faces to names (or avatars!)

Axial SCX10 Dingo D90    RC4WD TF2 Hilux     RC4WD G2 D90

damohickdamohick
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I might see if I can make it along to one of these, i’m In Norfolk so not a million miles away.

colin dcolin d
    • Ready To Trail
    • ★★

I am planning on going to wings & wheels.

Some of the flying displays are awesome. Mainly go to

see the Tamiya trucking display, & have a chat with the drivers.

Plenty of bargains about from the vendors. Also some good stuff for sale in the

bring & buy marquee. Definitely worth going.

GrasshopperGrasshopper
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Two weeks away now..

Wings and Wheels at North Weald Airfield in Essex, 23rd and 24th June, website

I’m taking my three along, although after a recent quarry run the scx10 is missing a rear driveshaft, the TF2 has some electrical gremlins and the G2 broke a few cosmetic bits including both door cards, steering wheel and snorkel top in a particularly optimistic descent..

Hopefully get them sorted this weekend in readiness!

GrasshopperGrasshopper
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Woohoo! This weekend!

I’m heading up on Sunday as I’ve got family duties tomorrow. Can’t wait, will spend most of the time squinting at the sky watching all manner of jets, prop planes and heli’s zoom about, then a light smattering of hugely overpriced, low quality junk food and then a saunter around the stalls to look at items I could get online for a fraction of the price. Joyous times ahead!

Seriously though, it is a great day out and well worth it for some unadulterated RC fun and hijinks

Sysop
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Sounds as though you should have a cracking day out.  Hopefully with a bit more preparation and forethought I can make it along next year.  If you can, try to grab some pictures to share.

Retrocosm On YouTube   Instagram   Website   Twitter   Facebook JSScale Team Driver

GrasshopperGrasshopper
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Yes indeed will do, I will be wearing a ScaleRC t-shirt I got printed last week too 🙂

Sysop
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Good man!

Retrocosm On YouTube   Instagram   Website   Twitter   Facebook JSScale Team Driver

• Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Going to be at Wings & Wheels tomorrow – gonna miss you Grasshopper!

Will try and get some pictures too…

GrasshopperGrasshopper
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Ah dammit, would have been great to catch up! No spoilers please (haha just joking)

• Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Loads of wings, not a lot of wheels (unless you count the 18 wheelers!)

Really impressive flying and the truck/boat displays were decent, disappointing tank display (only 2 large scale panzers) and no scalers to speak of.

Lots of people and loads of secondhand kit.

Enjoy tomorrow!

GrasshopperGrasshopper
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Haha, yes it was most definitely more WINGS than (wheels), but still a great day out. Not a single scaler anywhere and only one TRX4 in the vendors market (with a £100 mark up!)

I’ve got some pics which I’ll upload later, not great ones to be fair though – I’ve got so many of tiny black specks in a massive blue sky; they looked great through the mark 1 eyeball but not so good through the old iphone.

GrasshopperGrasshopper
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Veni Vidi Vici.

I promised some poor quality pics so here’s what I got:

Loads like that… immense blue sky with barely discernible specks in. For those speck lovers out there.

A little boy furiously standing up to an impertinent R2 unit.

A stealthy Dalek sneaking up on an unsuspecting soldier. Luckily he was only collecting for charity.

Some G4 Landies tucked away.

This cheeky little frigate shot smoke from it’s guns.

Some incredible scale models (of boats) if you like that sort of thing.

And then the rest were from the Tamiya Trucking bit which was awesome to see:

Fun was had, skin was burnt, beer was consumed, England won at some ball game popular at the moment. Happy days

Sysop
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Well done to Gav, our ScaleRC roving reporter!

I spoke with a fella at the Beds Scale RC meet on Sunday, namely Mark, he also attended and reported that there wasn’t a crawler in sight which seems a shame.

If boats, lorries and planes erm, float your boat it looks like you’re well catered for however.

GrasshopperGrasshopper
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Yeah I know, all it would take though is a small group of locals with trucks and some rocks and wood etc. and I bet we could have a ScaleRC stall and obstacle course going on – there was plenty of space.. Hmm, something to think about for next year?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.