Scale RC Forum Forum Members’ Builds Off-Road builds Range Rover Classic

This topic contains 104 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by Davy Crockett 1 day, 18 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 105 total)
  • Author
    Davy Crockett
    Davy Crockett
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

If anyone wants to sell a set of lettering I’d be interested (sorry for the hijack!)

Geoff
    Geoff
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Thanks fella, unfortunately I used the black as well and also have the silver spare. I’ll probably order some more at some point. I hope yours stick on better than mine did!

PM sent

Geoff in London    

RCWTF OFFICIAL REDCAT GEN 7 DRIVER 

1977bnc
    1977bnc
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

If anyone wants to sell a set of lettering I’d be interested (sorry for the hijack!)

Ive got a silver metal set for sale if you want to PM me. They include the side bonnet badges as well as front and back.

Instagram @scalerc77

Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

The CCHand Rostyle wheels have arrived from JSScale.  I’ve opted for these as I wanted to add wheel weights plus I have never got on particularly well with gluing tyres.

I made a final decision on using the MST tyres that came with my CMX and assembly went very smoothly.  They are still a touch wide but otherwise I think they look just right diameter wise at 90mm.

The offset on these wheels however is quite a bit less than the 3d printed ones I was using.  Subsequently I think they are now a little too far into the arches.  In these pictures I’m using 6mm hexes and the retaining nuts have hardly any purchase on the axle stubs.  Reluctantly therefore and at yet more cost I’ve ordered the slightly wider axle cases which will hopefully allow me to line the wheels up perfectly and secure them safely.

P1100143P1100148P1100137P1100130

1977bnc
    1977bnc
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Looks awesome mate! Really fancy a set of those MST as a spare set for mine!

Instagram @scalerc77

Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Looks awesome mate! Really fancy a set of those MST as a spare set for mine!

Thanks chap, they are a nice tyre, glad I had them in the parts box.

I’ve done some more work on the interior.  It’s a sort of mash up between the JSScale interior and my own styrene work.  The dash doesn’t match the period I’m going for, it has square vents as opposed to round and four dials in the centre console but it will do.  The door cards are fine, although ideally I need some more Tuscan Blue to do the metal portions.

I’ve had to lower the floor to accomodate the seats, they still sit a little high, but this is with the floor flush with the sills as in a 1:1.  I might look at modifying them a little.  Having said all that I’m not looking for a perfect interior, just something that looks ok from the outside in.  The paint I’ve used for the trim and seats is Tamiya Desert Yellow.  I painted the dash with a mixture of Tamiya rubber black and flat black.

P1100159P1100164

Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

The seats were definitely sitting too high.  When you look at a 1:1 you can see that the top of the steering wheel is roughy level with or even slightly higher than the top of the seat backs.

I decided therefore to cut out some floor wells in which to locate the seats, this has the added bonus of securing them more firmly and I was able to angle them back slightly.  I’m happy with the height now, I think this will also help me to fit in a 1:8 scale driver, assuming I can find one.

P1100167

Davy Crockett
    Davy Crockett
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I know what you mean about the seats, I printed the Armchair(?) seats and just couldn’t get the height or look right. Not had a lot of free time so purchased and interior from eBay, which has just landed!

Works on the interior have made a huge difference and looking really good. I think the blue and mustard have that 70’s period look. Vaguely remember bad coloured vinyl and worse body colours!

Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Thanks Davy, I’m not sure what to do about the rear seat yet, I believe JSSCale have a file you can download to print one out but I don’t think it has the rear details on it, just the cushion area so I may look at something custom, possibly with a bit of Milliput.

Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

The 172mm axle casings arrived from Shapeways within 3 days of me ordering them.  A cautionary tale, I selected the cheapest delivery option and was predicted a delivery date at the end of August, beginning of September.  Amusingly there was an expedited production and shipping method which would have guaranteed the three days I actually had to wait, for the additional princely sum of £105.00.

Anyway, I swapped over the parts from the 164mm housings and now with the CCHand Rostyle wheels I think the track is just right, shown here with 6mm hexes I may swap them for 5mm ones.

P1100592P1100583P1100600

As I get closer to knowing the final weight of the vehicle I’ve had a play with the springs.  These pictures show how it sits with green rated Axial springs.  I think it’s about right, I’m expecting the front to sink a tad further once the battery, ESC and receiver are under the bonnet.

The interior is still coming together, I need to get the transmission tunnel done.  I’ve also found a driver of suitable stature.  I’ve pinched Snake Plissken from my Cruiser body.  He’s a Neca figure and stands at around 8″.  I had to cut out a hole in the roof brace to get his head to fit but I think he looks roughly the correct scale.

P1100565

P1100594P1100586P1100600

Alex
    Alex
    • Looking For Mud

Woah, what a build! Looks amazing. Snake Plissken is a lovely touch!

1977bnc
    1977bnc
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Looks immense buddy!

Instagram @scalerc77

Davy Crockett
    Davy Crockett
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Absolutely stunning! Your attention to detail is incredible and skills are not of this earth! 😀 😀 😀

Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Woah, what a build! Looks amazing. Snake Plissken is a lovely touch!

Thanks chap 🙂

Looks immense buddy!

Cheers, thank you 🙂

Absolutely stunning! Your attention to detail is incredible and skills are not of this earth! 😀 😀 😀

Wow, thank you, I think the pictures flatter it somewhat but much appreciated 🙂

I have been trying to decide what to do about the rear seat.  I know JSScale supply a file you can download to print one out but I wanted to make something that matched my custom wheel arches and also looked as similar as possible as the source model.

Then I had a lightbulb moment and remembered I hadn’t used the rear seat that came with my 4Runner kit.  I dug it out, it looked like a good donor, not wide enough but something to work with.

So I chopped it in half and widened it with some styrene and then built the back and base up and added a few details.  It works pretty well.  As this is the build where nothing goes right I did initially chop away too much of the seats to accomodate the intrusion by the wheel arches.  Having realised the seat needed to sit further forward and higher up I was left with some gaps.  Hopefully some strategically placed scale items on the rear seats will mask my incompetence.

P1100619

I noticed on the source vehicle that there are rubber curtain/covers hanging on the sides on the boot area so I used some thin rubber sheet and cut some out.  I also used it to make a mat to cover the floor.

P1100623

Davy Crockett
    Davy Crockett
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Nice progress and good work with the donor seat!

I tried to download the JS Scale seat but the link has expired. Had a quick search for the file and alternatives but no luck 🙁

Might print some bits for ‘stuff’ in the back instead

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 105 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.