Scale RC Forum Forum Members’ Builds Off-Road builds Range Rover Classic

This topic contains 133 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by Retrocosm 2 weeks, 5 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 134 total)
  • Author
    Pete Attryde
    Pete Attryde
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I’m going to try these:- https://rcbitz.com/wheels-tyres/tyres-on-off-road/off-road/1-55-tyre/rc4wd-falken-wildpeak-a-t3w-1-55-scale-tires-z-t0169-narrow-scale-tyre-tf2-g2/ apiv9do6c__68219.1539985207

They’re also narrower so could be just right, if they stretch onto the rims ok.

They should stretch fine, I put a set on some 1.9 GCM slot mags, they did get a bit larger in diameter though.

Pete's Scale Fab Shop - Facebook  Instagram

Grasshopper
    Grasshopper
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I love how ‘anorak-y’ this thread is getting! 😀

Axial SCX10 Dingo D90    RC4WD TF2 Hilux     RC4WD G2 D90

Davy Crockett
    Davy Crockett
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I love how ‘anorak-y’ this thread is getting! 😀

I don’t!! I’m going to get done if I choose wrong tyres!!! 😀 😀

Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I’m thinking of upgrading my profile pic.

images-3

Retrocosm On YouTube   Instagram   Website   Twitter   Facebook JSScale Team Driver

Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Don’t ya just hate it when you order some new tyres and then realise you’ve already got some suitable ones!?  Found these MST tyres that came with the CMX I used for my Pajero.  They were too big for that but almost perfect for the Range Rover, perhaps a tad too wide.

P1090207P1090209P1090205P1090202

Retrocosm On YouTube   Instagram   Website   Twitter   Facebook JSScale Team Driver

Davy Crockett
    Davy Crockett
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Hope you don’t mind and not hijacking your thread but thought id share my RR on ascender chassis, scale doctors on crappy plastic wheels to try for size……

Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Ride height and tyre size look good on that Davy.

Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

The 1.55 Falken Wildpeaks arrived, another option that works quite well.

P1090215P1090216

I also started experimenting with the interior.  The C-Max shock mounts protrude slightly into the bed, however I believe the rear seat will obscure these perfectly.  I was still scratching my chin wondering how to do with interior wheel arches when I noticed that JSScale are working on a 3d printed interior.

Mmmm, whether to wait and see what it’s like or whether to press on with something custom.  I certainly think I’ll take the dash if sold separately.

P1090211

48361652_2345347645535441_5971884332661342208_n

I also noticed that Martin over at RCModelex has already released a chassis for this body.  I do like the idea of getting another body and doing a beaten up, slightly pimped build on one of these chassis.

_vyr_1331IMG_1892

He has also done a roof rack here:- http://www.rcmodelex.com/www-rcmodelex-com/eshop/29-1-Roof-Rack-Frame/0/5/1328-MEX-Roof-Rack-Range-Rover-Classic

Pete Attryde
    Pete Attryde
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

The wild peaks do look nice.

I too am umming and ahhing about waiting on the interior being released as I had planned to 3d print one my self, i think the deciding factor for me will be the cost of said interior once it is released.

Pete's Scale Fab Shop - Facebook  Instagram

Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

The wild peaks do look nice. I too am umming and ahhing about waiting on the interior being released as I had planned to 3d print one my self, i think the deciding factor for me will be the cost of said interior once it is released.

Yes, it will be interesting to see what’s included and at what price.

Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I’ve sprayed some paint, not particularly successfully if I’m honest but I think I’ve rescued it to a useable level.

I’d like to blame the paint but I know it’s more likely my own ineptitude. Up until now I’ve only ever used Halfords’ rattle cans and have reached a reasonable level of proficiency with them. However in order to spray this RRC in the original Tuscan Blue that I wanted I had to get some paint from a company calling themselves Monofil.

I’ve no doubt it’s good paint in the right hands but I had trouble getting a finish I was happy with. After building up the layers I attempted a wet coat to get some semblance of a gloss finish but to no avail. A completely matt finish, even up to the point of applying it so heavily it was on the border of dripping.

Not to worry I thought, I’ll hit it with some lacquer which I also built up and then attempted a wet coat, nope, still a completely flat finish.

Left it for a day and then being the Christmas Holidays with no chance to pop to the shops I headed for the garage to see what was lurking and found some Maguires Ultimate Compund that I’d bought to remove some bird hit stains from my wife’s car.

It was either this or wet sanding so I gave the compound a go. It has worked, with a great deal of intensive rubbing. It’s not the finish I’d hoped for but it’ll pass as a well used and a bit faded old Classic.

I also painted the wheels with Tamiya Flat Aluminium and fitted all of the 1.55 Falkens. The radius arms have also arrived from Canada so I’ll shall fit those shortly and start doing some more detailing and probably more polishing.

P1090222P1090221P1090219P1090217

Davy Crockett
    Davy Crockett
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I’m too a user of the Halfords rattle cans and had quite good results, despite my ham-fisted incompetence!

The ones from the range aren’t too bad either although limited colour choice. And check the paint colour on the tin, 17yr old shop assistant doesn’t always put them in the right slot!

From your pics I think it looks a decent result and perhaps you’re selling yourself short!!! Made a real change with some colour and I really like those wheels!

Hopefully get chance to get some colour on mine later….

jonny191
    jonny191
    • Trailing And Scaling
    • ★★★★

Looks pretty good to me (those old rangie’s weren’t the shiniest things anyway) but as a painter by trade there could be a few problems that I’ve encountered that result in a matt finish : One would be the obvious and that would be that the paint was mislabelled and is matt or satin finish. Two is the temperature that your spraying in being to cold. Three the paint itself being too cold. Four the drying environment being too cold. Five if your spraying 2k paints and not mixing the correct ratio of paint to activator (probably doesn’t apply here). And if your really unlucky a combination of all the above 🙂

Hope this helps

Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I’m too a user of the Halfords rattle cans and had quite good results, despite my ham-fisted incompetence! The ones from the range aren’t too bad either although limited colour choice. And check the paint colour on the tin, 17yr old shop assistant doesn’t always put them in the right slot! From your pics I think it looks a decent result and perhaps you’re selling yourself short!!! Made a real change with some colour and I really like those wheels! Hopefully get chance to get some colour on mine later….

Cheers fella, I think it’s just that the last two jobs I did were better and I feel like I’ve dropped down a notch or two with this one, but as you say it’s not awful and the compound has definitely helped.

Looks pretty good to me (those old rangie’s weren’t the shiniest things anyway) but as a painter by trade there could be a few problems that I’ve encountered that result in a matt finish : One would be the obvious and that would be that the paint was mislabelled and is matt or satin finish. Two is the temperature that your spraying in being to cold. Three the paint itself being too cold. Four the drying environment being too cold. Five if your spraying 2k paints and not mixing the correct ratio of paint to activator (probably doesn’t apply here). And if your really unlucky a combination of all the above 🙂 Hope this helps

Thanks chap, I think the temperature thing may be the culprit, although it was pretty mild for the time of year and I warmed the paint in a bowl of warm water before spraying it was probably still not ideal.  One other thing, the dispersal on these cans was a lot wider than those you get from Halfords so it may be that overspray was dulling sections that I thought were okay.  Oh and I think perhaps I should have sanded the primer a little smoother.

Live and learn as they say!

toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I really like that colour, it looks fab! What are your plans for the interior?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 134 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.