This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Fourth Protocol 3 weeks, 2 days ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I’ve wanted to build a raft for ages. Because quick to do, and fun to play with.

There’s a metric ton of inspiration for rafts if you look for it. The Camel ad captures the mood well. But the raft isn’t quite what I had in mind.

I like this one too, but still want to finish the landing craft so building more boats makes no sense.

There’s this one of a Discovery straddling two inflatables. I was going to go with this because the round inflatable shape is easy to pull off with pool noodles. However…

…this is closer to what I had in mind. A makeshift raft cobbled together out of necessity. Maybe improved on a little later because it was useful.

And so mine started like this:

Tried it out in the stream behind my house.

Really stable. Floats well and with 5 noodles the raft floats on the water rather than in it, even with a ~3kg Series 1 on it.

Added some decking…

Rub rails or side fenders would look weird on a raft so tires.

Construction done, pretty much. Proof that I’ve worked my way through 8 Chinka JKs (the tires are the Goodyear Wrangler spare wheels).

Started playing with configurations. My first test in the stream used 5 noodles in parallel. Here’s a setup with six in two pontoons, which I used for load testing.

That’s an 8kg kettlebell (about 17 lb). The 6 noodles handled that with ease. Sinking point is at around 12kg (about 26 lb). The kettlebell started putting ivisble strain onto the wood, but a 12kg truck splits the load equally onto each pontoon so should still work. Barely.

The 3 x 2 setup isn’t nearly as stable in the water as 5 noodles next to each other, even if you perfectly centre the truck on the raft. Oh and using the tub because the stream isn’t deep enough for the 2 x 3 pontoons.

Anyway that’s it. A raft. Should probably work out how to secure trucks to it to avoid any inadvertent dunkings. Not going to weather it, but going to leave it outside. I suspect nature will do a better job than I can.

mark
    mark
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I’d like it better with a pic of your truck sinking. One of these is on my to do list. Lacking a place to use one though.

jonny191
    jonny191
    • Trailing And Scaling
    • ★★★★

Cool, Now to fit a little outboard motor 😉

Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I love that, I remember building a balsa wood speedboat about 35 years ago.  I’d very much like to make something water based again, you’re always inspiring with new ideas.

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I’d like it better with a pic of your truck sinking. One of these is on my to do list. Lacking a place to use one though.

I prefer floaters. Addlestone has water. So does Hatfield. And that little pond at Oxshott?

Cool, Now to fit a little outboard motor 😉

Thought about that too but want to try a pully system first. Have a specific video in mind I want to make.

I love that, I remember building a balsa wood speedboat about 35 years ago. I’d very much like to make something water based again, you’re always inspiring with new ideas.

Thank you. That’s because I like to try different things. And is why I have so very many unfinished things 😬

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.