This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Fourth Protocol 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I’ve wanted to build a raft for ages. Because quick to do, and fun to play with.

There’s a metric ton of inspiration for rafts if you look for it. The Camel ad captures the mood well. But the raft isn’t quite what I had in mind.

I like this one too, but still want to finish the landing craft so building more boats makes no sense.

There’s this one of a Discovery straddling two inflatables. I was going to go with this because the round inflatable shape is easy to pull off with pool noodles. However…

…this is closer to what I had in mind. A makeshift raft cobbled together out of necessity. Maybe improved on a little later because it was useful.

And so mine started like this:

Tried it out in the stream behind my house.

Really stable. Floats well and with 5 noodles the raft floats on the water rather than in it, even with a ~3kg Series 1 on it.

Added some decking…

Rub rails or side fenders would look weird on a raft so tires.

Construction done, pretty much. Proof that I’ve worked my way through 8 Chinka JKs (the tires are the Goodyear Wrangler spare wheels).

Started playing with configurations. My first test in the stream used 5 noodles in parallel. Here’s a setup with six in two pontoons, which I used for load testing.

That’s an 8kg kettlebell (about 17 lb). The 6 noodles handled that with ease. Sinking point is at around 12kg (about 26 lb). The kettlebell started putting ivisble strain onto the wood, but a 12kg truck splits the load equally onto each pontoon so should still work. Barely.

The 3 x 2 setup isn’t nearly as stable in the water as 5 noodles next to each other, even if you perfectly centre the truck on the raft. Oh and using the tub because the stream isn’t deep enough for the 2 x 3 pontoons.

Anyway that’s it. A raft. Should probably work out how to secure trucks to it to avoid any inadvertent dunkings. Not going to weather it, but going to leave it outside. I suspect nature will do a better job than I can.

mark
    mark
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I’d like it better with a pic of your truck sinking. One of these is on my to do list. Lacking a place to use one though.

jonny191
    jonny191
    • Trailing And Scaling
    • ★★★★

Cool, Now to fit a little outboard motor 😉

Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I love that, I remember building a balsa wood speedboat about 35 years ago.  I’d very much like to make something water based again, you’re always inspiring with new ideas.

Retrocosm On YouTube   Instagram   Website   Twitter   Facebook JSScale Team Driver

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I’d like it better with a pic of your truck sinking. One of these is on my to do list. Lacking a place to use one though.

I prefer floaters. Addlestone has water. So does Hatfield. And that little pond at Oxshott?

Cool, Now to fit a little outboard motor 😉

Thought about that too but want to try a pully system first. Have a specific video in mind I want to make.

I love that, I remember building a balsa wood speedboat about 35 years ago. I’d very much like to make something water based again, you’re always inspiring with new ideas.

Thank you. That’s because I like to try different things. And is why I have so very many unfinished things 😬

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.