Scale RC Forum Technical Helping Hand The Bodyshop painting lexan help

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Davy Crockett 1 week, 5 days ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Davy Crockett
    Davy Crockett
    • Crawler Pro

I’m painting a lexan shell and could do with some advice please

Painted a fair few shells lexan and ABS but not been very successful with 2 tone schemes

Ive masked the shell and sprayed back bit white, main colour is darker. How long should I let the white cure/set before I do the darker colour? Should I mask the white before I spray the darker?

Any help gratefully received 🙂

Al murray
    Al murray
    • Crawler Pro

If your painting lexan on the inside I would always spray dark to light whenever possible..  If you want to be really detailed do your moulded window surrounds, trims and door handles first.

as your example mask and paint your dark colours first and give it a day or two to dry. if your lighter colours not going to bleed through theres no need to mask your dark colour, just spay over it..

If your doing a hard body then its always advantageous to do dark over light on the outside

hope this helps

Al..

Davy Crockett
    Davy Crockett
    • Crawler Pro

Thanks for the advice…
    Body masked up and sprayed, left the paint to dry between coats and removed masking with baited breath…..
    Really pleased how it turned out… apart from a minor bit of over spray 🙁 sure it won’t be noticed covered in mud!

Davy Crockett
    Davy Crockett
    • Crawler Pro

Al murray
    Al murray
    • Crawler Pro

looking good, whats that colour? if your tempted or wanted to do the white side panels I can highly reccomend using adhesive vinyl sheet cut to fit.. i did that on mines and it worked brilliant.. hard wearing too and takes all the hassle out of having to previously mask off etc.. I made a paper template first and applied it in 3 sections.. (front wing, door and rear panel)..

Al..

bonnet2

Davy Crockett
    Davy Crockett
    • Crawler Pro

Thanks Al 🙂

Its ford roman bronze and was my 2nd choice, originally I was going for an orange copper but didn’t have any in stock.

Its surprising, looks very dark but almost a rusty bronze in the light…. Smokey and the bandit police car colour!

Nice tip for the vinyl 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.