This topic contains 68 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Fourth Protocol 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 69 total)
  • Author
    toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Work of art! Wish i could do hinges like those.

Geoff
    Geoff
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

looking fantastic. ::wow ::thumb::

I just go green with envy, every time I see this truck. ::drool ::cry

Geoff in London    

RCWTF OFFICIAL REDCAT GEN 7 DRIVER 

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★
    neilus wrote:
    Work of art! Wish i could do hinges like those.
    Geoff wrote:
    looking fantastic. ::wow ::thumb::
    I just go green with envy, every time I see this truck. ::drool ::cry

Thanks :blush: It’s hard to reply to comments like yours with something helpful that doesn’t sound trite or like a humble brag (which I dislike intensely), so forgive me – this truck’s actually pretty easy to make, and not all that good.

It’s easy because it’s all just right angles, so if you can make a box you can make this cab, the bumper and the bed.

Pick something with right angles, like my FMTV, the Oshkosh HEMTT, a Unimog 401, 1948 Bedford MWD, Kübelwagen, Pinzgauer, Volvo C303… you get the idea. Keep it simple.

This build is also a bit rubbish because I didn’t put all that much effort into getting everything sized correctly. The girder-type support beams beneath the bed are about twice as high as they should be. The interior (primarily the seats) are 1:7 scale, while the rest of it is 1:11 scale.

There are two tricks I use that seem to impress people. The first is that I refuse to build anything for which I cannot source blueprints, like these:

oshkosh-m977-hemtt-03.jpg

People spot it a mile away when you haven’t nailed proportions, like, exactly ::wow ::yikes

The second is that I’m willing to do a thing, throw it away, and redo it over and over until it’s right. Those hinges, the little mount points and the door handles took two days. These running lights in the next pic took ages and are nowhere near done. It takes lots, and lots and lots and lots of time.

Rc_Oshkosh_Fmtv_Cab_15.jpg

You put in what you get out, I suppose ::thumb:: So give it a go already :cheers:

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Had windows in there earlier, but made a mess with the paint so they’re being re-done. Wipers are cut out too and will go in as soon as the windshield is in. Lights are also going in, and then I can glue the cab to the cab floor.

Rc_Oshkosh_Fmtv_Paint_05.jpg

Next Sunday will be a month since it had it’s shakedown run. Let’s see how far I get…

grubbybuz
    grubbybuz
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Looks incredible from here :worthy: very nicely done ::cool keep it up sir

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★
    grubbybuz wrote:
    Looks incredible from here :worthy: very nicely done ::cool keep it up sir

::thumb:: It’s growing on me ::cool

Cab detail is done. Here’s the wipers before I painted them.

Rc_Oshkosh_Fmtv_Paint_06.jpg

Windows are also back in, the little round mirrors are on, and all rear view mirrors are painted.

Rc_Oshkosh_Fmtv_Cab_16.jpg

Rc_Oshkosh_Fmtv_Cab_17.jpg

Rc_Oshkosh_Fmtv_Cab_18.jpg

Need to shorten some of these LED wires, and lengthen some others. Lots of soldering coming my way :yikes: Still need to work out where the light controller goes – it’s going to be another Tamiya TLU-01 because they have space for 16 LEDs.

Rc_Oshkosh_Fmtv_Lights_01.jpg

And then the bed.

jonny191
    jonny191
    • Trailing And Scaling
    • ★★★★

Looks :censored: fantastic! I think I know what I want in exchange for that plastic ;-) :blush:

It would look the biz with them militants (in the same colour as the body) and some mil spec tires on it ::thumb::

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★
    jonny191 wrote:
    Looks :censored: fantastic! I think I know what I want in exchange for that plastic ;-) :blush:

It would look the biz with them militants (in the same colour as the body) and some mil spec tires on it ::thumb::

Militants would indeed look awesome on there. Problem is I used half of those bolts on the V8 in the Ford F5 ::cry Hoping Martin has spares. Liking the Growlers though – they’re not too far off the stock tread (see 1st photo in 1st post). Will probably get some Miltants anyway and see what they look like. I’ve a suspicion good…

4WheelRC
    • Trailing And Scaling
    • ★★★★

Mike, that cab is looking awesome. Lovely amount of detail ;popcorn; ::thumb::

grubbybuz
    grubbybuz
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Ow banged my chin on the floor :jawdrop: laying on the awesome sauce with this one mr ::cool

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★
    4WheelRC wrote:
    Mike, that cab is looking awesome. Lovely amount of detail ;popcorn; ::thumb::

Thank you. I haven’t been feeling it on this build until around post #49. Really liking it now :-) It’ll be at Addlestone on Sunday.

grubbybuz wrote:
    Ow banged my chin on the floor :jawdrop: laying on the awesome sauce with this one mr ::cool

Sorry ::eek ;-) I think there are some lessons in this build. It was pretty sloppy because I don’t have a working truck, so rushed this one. And when I did the details on the cab it transformed into something that deserved more effort than it got.

Anyways, paint is almost done. Bed needs at least another coat, but almost there. After that it’s lights, and final assembly.

Rc_Oshkosh_Fmtv_Paint_07.jpg

Rc_Oshkosh_Fmtv_Paint_08.jpg

Hope I get it all done for Sunday. Only have two more evenings because Saturday is Comic Con ::cool

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

What an absolute corker! I hereby forbid you from running this in competition. It’s too good to spoil and I want it one piece when you give it to me ::thumb::

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★
    Retrocosm wrote:
    What an absolute corker! I hereby forbid you from running this in competition. It’s too good to spoil and I want it one piece when you give it to me ::thumb::

Ha ha thanks ::thumb:: I tend not to compete, but just follow along behind the competitors so will happily skip around obstacles the truck won’t make. I did promise to lay out a course at Addlestone on Sunday though, so really should enter and compete proper like.

Would also need to do something to the Oshkosh, which is in it’s underpants at the moment :wow: ::yikes

Rc_Oshkosh_Fmtv_Detail_06.jpg

And sadly have to stop giving my trucks away. First I gave away the two Unimog 401’s (the first time Mark got upset with me ;) ), then the spare Toyota Hilux hard body, the Jeep Chief (unfinished, to be fair), and finally the Ford F15a CMP, which has made its way to Tasmania, Australia.

The upshot is that I have zero usable trucks left, besides the Oshkosh. Even the River Raider restoration isn’t complete yet… ::doh::

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Pulled the Oshkosh apart once more because lights. It’s a rats nest in there and I have yet to find a home for the light controller.

Rc_Oshkosh_Fmtv_Lights_02.jpg

But the lights work ::thumb:: They look a lot oranger in front, and redder at back. The photos make them look really harsh.

Rc_Oshkosh_Fmtv_Lights_03.jpg

Rc_Oshkosh_Fmtv_Lights_04.jpg

Need to extend the light wires from the running lights above the windshield, and as mentioned find a home for the light controller, and then it’s final assembly time!!

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Got the cab running lights wired up and tested (they look amazing ::cool), touched up paint all over the place, and cleaned up the wiring. And as expensive as it is, this is why I like Tamiya’s TLU-01 — you can plug 16 LEDs into it (only using 12 on this one).

Rc_Oshkosh_Fmtv_Cab_19.jpg

Would have finished it tonight if it wasn’t for the filler where the cab meets the floor. Need to give it 24h so will get it finished for a photo shoot tomorrow night. And Addlestone with the LSTR on Sunday. But first, Comic Con tomorrow. Tricia Helfer willl be there :blush:

Rc_Oshkosh_Fmtv_Cab_20.jpg

This is post #60. Fortuitous as page 3 is now reserved for photos of the completed build :-)

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 69 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.