This topic contains 68 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Fourth Protocol 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 69 total)
  • Author
    Geoff
    Geoff
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

It looks good in action, the fact is making an exact scale replica, Of a scale truck

Is not always the bes way to go.

With the knowledge you have, of the courses you go to maybe it’s time to build

Your own designer truck.

Geoff in London    

RCWTF OFFICIAL REDCAT GEN 7 DRIVER 

4WheelRC
    • Trailing And Scaling
    • ★★★★

Good to see you are slowly moving your batteries to the front with every new build ;-)

BTW, clamp-like 100% drag brakes are a really bad idea as you’ll forever be tipping over when you try to stop on steep descents. I flaunted with 100% once and sure the rig could hold itself still on sill slopes, but the transition from moving to stationary was way too sudden (and thats with Tekin ESCs). IMHO best to have a much milder drag brake (25% ish) and hold it on slopes using reverse throttle (an unspring throttle stick makes this simples ::thumb:: ).

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★
    Geoff wrote:
    It looks good in action, the fact is making an exact scale replica, Of a scale truck

Is not always the bes way to go.

With the knowledge you have, of the courses you go to maybe it’s time to build

Your own designer truck.

I know what my ideal truck looks like – it’d be the Unimog Concept from 2011. I dislike the looks, but it has good approach and departure angles, and the cab is really low so has a good centre of gravity. Problem with the Skeleton J2 chassis is that the motor is exactly where the driver sits.

UnimogConcept.jpg

4WheelRC wrote:
    Good to see you are slowly moving your batteries to the front with every new build ;-)

BTW, clamp-like 100% drag brakes are a really bad idea as you’ll forever be tipping over when you try to stop on steep descents. I flaunted with 100% once and sure the rig could hold itself still on sill slopes, but the transition from moving to stationary was way too sudden (and thats with Tekin ESCs). IMHO best to have a much milder drag brake (25% ish) and hold it on slopes using reverse throttle (an unspring throttle stick makes this simples ::thumb:: ).

Yeah, I have it at 50% now (mine doesn’t go lower). Forgot to set it on Sunday though ::doh:: You missed a good day out!

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

So the rather good idea of using square steel tube under the bed to add weight didn’t work out because of the cross-beams in the bed. I have another plan to add weight, however. For now the bed height has been fixed, and rear lights are done.

Rc_Oshkosh_Fmtv_Bed_05.jpg

Rc_Oshkosh_Fmtv_Bed_06.jpg

The bed needs more cross beams, the tailgate needs cleaning up, and it needs tow hooks and a hitch.

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Got the bed mounted properly at last, and also added some (but not all) of the remaining cross beams under the bed. Oh and I switched back to the 1.55 Growlers – much smaller than the 1.7 Boggers, but looks a lot more realistic now.

Rc_Oshkosh_Fmtv_Bed_07.jpg

Also got most of the snorkel done.

Rc_Oshkosh_Fmtv_Snorkel_01.jpg

Rc_Oshkosh_Fmtv_Snorkel_02.jpg

And the paint arrived, but I forgot to order primer ::doh::

Rc_Oshkosh_Fmtv_Paint_01.jpg

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Got some more detail done, and getting closer to paint. Love this first picture. Kindof reminds me of a giraffe, which I’ve always admired for being the only animal that can keep a lookout for itself while doing a number 2 behind a bush.

Rc_Oshkosh_Fmtv_Detail_01.jpg

Rc_Oshkosh_Fmtv_05.jpg

Rc_Oshkosh_Fmtv_Detail_02.jpg

Rc_Oshkosh_Fmtv_Detail_03.jpg

It’s significantly heavier now than it was at the LSTR on Sunday. Surprisingly so, which is why I mention it.

grubbybuz
    grubbybuz
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Cough best yoda voice Yes envy the giraffe you must…. lol

Awesome work sir ::cool

Geoff
    Geoff
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I will PM you my address, so you can send it to me when it’s finished. ;-)

Looking better, every I see it. ::drool

Geoff in London    

RCWTF OFFICIAL REDCAT GEN 7 DRIVER 

mark
    mark
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★
    Geoff wrote:

Knowing him he’s got a box ready to post it ::eek

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★
    grubbybuz wrote:
    Cough best yoda voice Yes envy the giraffe you must…. lol

Awesome work sir ::cool

Thanks. And… what do astro droids like to do on road trips?
    Take an R2-Detour :-)

Geoff wrote:

Thanks. Mark says I should stop giving my trucks away ::rolleye

mark wrote:
    Geoff wrote:

Knowing him he’s got a box ready to post it ::eek

Thanks. Geoff says I should give my trucks away ::rolleye

::lolz ::thumb::

Progressed to primer at long last. Front bumper. It’s taken an age because I had to do some open-heart surgery there to a. get it as wide as the steps and b. strengthen it to not come apart at the seams like a teenager after a gentle collision with a tiny rock.

Rc_Oshkosh_Fmtv_Paint_02.jpg

This… thing also needs more work. It’s missing storage boxes on the other (spare wheel) side.

Rc_Oshkosh_Fmtv_Detail_05.jpg

And finally. I’ve made a drivers’ seat, but need to do the rest of the seats and shelves on the inside. I suspect the cab will require a drawn-out paint process because the interior needs paint before I can glue the cab to the cab floor, and the dash needs paint before it can be glued in.

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Got some paint on the bumper, and primer on the cab. Looking a bit wonky because neither the cab nor it’s floor are nailed down, so it’s leaning forwards a bit.

Rc_Oshkosh_Fmtv_Paint_03.jpg

Dash could be better (couldn’t everything, always ;-)), but that’s about the effort I’m willing to spend on it.

Rc_Oshkosh_Fmtv_Paint_04.jpg

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Cut the doors out today, and stuck them back in.

Rc_Oshkosh_Fmtv_Cab_10.jpg

Also did the grill. Decided to stick to the bars on the 1:1 rather than go with the (easier) mesh. This is from the inside.

Rc_Oshkosh_Fmtv_Cab_11.jpg

Got the seats in and painted. A Willy with legs and longer arms is on order. Those eyebrows on the cab will get running lights and windscreen wipers.

Rc_Oshkosh_Fmtv_Cab_12.jpg

Here’s what it looks like from the outside. It’s getting pretty heavy.

Rc_Oshkosh_Fmtv_Cab_13.jpg

Rc_Oshkosh_Fmtv_06.jpg

toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★
    Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★
    neilus wrote:
    Is that Alec Guinness?

It is indeed.

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Slowly approaching the end with the cab. Door hinges are done, it has door handles, hatch handles, antenna mounts, and all those little armour mount points. Oh and the Oshkosh insignia on the front.

Rc_Oshkosh_Fmtv_Cab_14.jpg

Left to do on the cab are wipers, running lights, windows and rear-view mirrors. And paint ::cool

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 69 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.