This topic contains 68 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Fourth Protocol 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 69 total)
  • Author
    Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Back in January or February when I started the Ford F5 I aquired an airbrush and compressor. 6 weeks ago I started a new build (the Ford F15a CMP) with the intention of using it to learn how to air brush. I ran out of time (it was my only working comp truck, which I needed ready for the UK G6 last weekend), so didn’t get to try the airbrush.

And so I need a new build to test the airbrush – enter the Oshkosh FMTV ::cool

Fmtv_Reference_01.jpg

The armour plate look allows me to get away with thicker styrene, so I can abuse it more. Being a military build means I can paint it in winter camo to hide the inevitable white scratch marks the body will accumulate. And it’s a cab-over, which I’m becoming a huge fan of for their handling and climbing abilities.

The running gear. I have two GCM Racing Skeleton J2s from which I combined the best bits to make a new one for the Ford CMP. What’s left has been assembled into this, which will sit beneath the Oshkosh:

SkeletonJ2_01.jpg

This one was a starter kit which doesn’t come with the radio tray. However GCM Racing is awesome, and a radio tray is on its way to London.

The Oshkosh will be of the M1081 LVAD (low-velocity air-drop) variety (yes, it’s C-130 transportable). Mine will be 220mm wide, so almost exactly 1:11 scale. It’s going to get a 275mm wheelbase, which is the same as the China JK body’s (a truck bed makes it really easy to change wheelbase to any alternative fact you choose to dream up).

Rc_Oshkosh_Fmtv_Cab_02.jpg

It’s intended to be a class 1 truck.

toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Looks great. Nice chassis too…

What compound are the Growlers? Are they 1.55’s?

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★
    neilus wrote:
    Looks great. Nice chassis too…

What compound are the Growlers? Are they 1.55’s?

Thanks! No idea what compound they are, but not quite as soft as RC4WD Compass tyres. And yes, they’re 1.55 with Crawler Innovation Lil’ Nova Dual Stage 1.55” Standard Inner / Medium Outer foams.

People rave about them, but I’ve never actually run them even though I’ve had them for about a year now.

4WheelRC
    • Trailing And Scaling
    • ★★★★

Another build to watch with interest ;popcorn; I just hope you don’t bleed out on this one ::pray

I’d like to open a book on how long it will be until you build a C-130 to air-drop this from. You know it makes sense! :-)

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★
    4WheelRC wrote:
    I’d like to open a book on how long it will be until you build a C-130 to air-drop this from. You know it makes sense! :-)

Thought I’d finish the landing craft before starting on a plane :-)

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Made a start on that crazy bumper.

Rc_Oshkosh_Fmtv_Bumper_01.jpg

Geoff
    Geoff
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Looking good. ::thumb:: This a great looking Truck.

1000a563623_zpsinu6ontj.jpg

Geoff in London    

RCWTF OFFICIAL REDCAT GEN 7 DRIVER 

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Looking quite superb already and what a great choice of build! ;popcorn;

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★
    Geoff wrote:
    Looking good. ::thumb:: This a great looking Truck.
    Retrocosm wrote:
    Looking quite superb already and what a great choice of build! ;popcorn;

Thank you both, and yes, love it too ::thumb:: It’s got a really confusing pedigree. The Oshkosh FMTV is based on the Stewart & Stevenson M1083, which in turn is based on the 12M18 developed by Steyr-Daimler-Puch in Austria.

Steyr, sadly, was broken up and no longer exists ::cry They made some amazing machinery (Pinzgauer and Haflinger, amongst others).

Getting the fenders on because they double as body mounts, and are where the cab and the bumper will attach.

Rc_Oshkosh_Fmtv_Cab_03.jpg

You just know someone’s defrosting the ice box when they’re doing single-picture updates on a Saturday ::rolleye

jonny191
    jonny191
    • Trailing And Scaling
    • ★★★★

It’s coming along nicely (also watched your vid on SBG, your fast) but if you keep doing these fancy builds I’m gonna have to put your name in my death note :-)

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★
    jonny191 wrote:
    It’s coming along nicely (also watched your vid on SBG, your fast) but if you keep doing these fancy builds I’m gonna have to put your name in my death note :-)

Someone’s watching too much Manga ;-)

jonny191
    jonny191
    • Trailing And Scaling
    • ★★★★
    Fourth Protocol wrote:
    jonny191 wrote:

Someone’s watching too much Manga ;-)

No, just seen your t-shirt ::cool

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Worked out how I’m going to get that bumper onto the truck. There’s going to be a sliiiiight approach angle issue with this one.

Rc_Oshkosh_Fmtv_Cab_04.jpg

Rc_Oshkosh_Fmtv_Cab_05.jpg

Dimensions are correct though, if my reference drawing is to be believed. The Growlers were 10mm too short, and the TSL Boggers 4mm too tall but I think perfect, height-wise.

And yes, the cab looks like a minion out of Ninjago ::rolleye

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

…in fact it looks like Samukai from Ninjago.

Samukai.jpg

Got the front bumper mounted, so now it’s about adding detail to and into the cab.

Rc_Oshkosh_Fmtv_Cab_06.jpg

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

The grill wasted a lot of time. First one was too small, on the second I forgot to round out the inside corners, and the third take is waiting for me to decide on slats like the 1:1 has, or mesh.

Grill01.jpg

Here’s the truck with the grill attached.

Rc_Oshkosh_Fmtv_Cab_07.jpg

Rc_Oshkosh_Fmtv_Cab_08.jpg

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 69 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.