This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by MarkB 2 weeks, 3 days ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    MarkB
    • Looking For Mud

hi everyone, I’m new to the forum and the RC scale hobby, I’ve been in and out of racing 1/10 Rc buggies since I was a child but I’m looking at getting a 1/10 scale crawler/trail truck and was looking for some advise. Firstly I was wondering if there was any clubs or like minded people near me? (I’m from Southampton) and secondly some general advise on kits and electronics. I think I’m going to go for an Axial SCX II UMG kit but was hoping for some advise as to what electrics to put in it?, i.e. ESC, motor and servo, brushed or brushless? All advice and help would be very much appreciated:)

thanks

Mark

Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Hi Mark,

Welcome to the forum. There are a lot of choices out there for electronics to run in your new truck. My current favourite setup is a 35T brushed motor controlled with a Hobbywing Quicrun 1080 ESC. In terms of the motor the GoolRC ones are surprisingly good if you’re on a budget. If you want to spend a little more you could look at Holmes Hobbies or Tekin.

The Quicrun 1080 is an excellent ESC for the money (usually around £35, sometimes cheaper), and waterproof out of the box which is useful. There’s an even cheaper model with fewer features, the 1060 which is also pretty good.

Personally I use Savox servos, but there are some PowerHD models which are also popular and usually cheaper. I haven’t as yet tried a brushless setup but others with experience may be able to help.

Charlie

Retrocosm On YouTube   Instagram   Website   Twitter   Facebook JSScale Team Driver

MarkB
    • Looking For Mud

Hi Charlie, thanks for your reply, I have been looking at the hobbywing 1080 so it’s good to know that you use one and are happy with it, also looked at Tekin motors, in particular the hand wound 30T, any thoughts on that? I have always used savox servos in my buggies and have always been very happy with them, would the 1272sg be suitable for a crawler? It has lots of torque and is waterproof so looked a good option?

Can I ask what people run battery wise, I will definitely go Lipo, it’s just a matter of 2s or 3s and hard case or soft?

thanks

Mark

Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

My own personal favourite from Savox is the SW-0241MG. It’s waterproof and you can run 7.4v into it from the 1080 (check your receiver can handle it.)

The hand wound Tekins are very nice motors, I’ve never had any issues with mine. I originally ran 2s Lipos but have now switched to 3s as an easy route to a little more wheel speed when needed.

I use Turnigy soft packs and again have had no issues. You only really need a hard pack if you think there’s a possibility of them getting damaged during use.

Retrocosm On YouTube   Instagram   Website   Twitter   Facebook JSScale Team Driver

MarkB
    • Looking For Mud

Thanks Charlie, that’s very helpful:)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.