Scale RC Forum Forum Members’ Builds Off-Road builds New beginnings for my Gelande

This topic contains 76 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by Grasshopper 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 77 total)
  • Author
    Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Looks really good chap, very well done.  The front number plate looks a bit small to me?

Grasshopper
    Grasshopper
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Looks really good chap, very well done. The front number plate looks a bit small to me?

Ooh, always a nitpicker! Haha, yeah it’s more a vanity plate anyway, as it doesn’t match up with the rear plate. It was an old decal from when I actually believed all this stuff was in 1/10th scale…

And Neil, I was only joking, I know you’ve got a build brewing and this is a strictly ‘no-spend’ build at the moment until I get the basics finished with what I’ve got. Some kind of basic roll bar is definitely on the list of later additions though.

Now, back to them bloody windows…

Axial SCX10 Dingo    RC4WD TF2 Hilux     RC4WD G2 D90     WPL C14

toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Yeah i know you were joking. And it does look great. You done a fab job. I’ve subscribed to see what you do next 😉

Grasshopper
    Grasshopper
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

So, I’ve recently been made aware of a cultural thing that obviously passed me by.. Anyone else heard of the thing where by someone holds their hand by their side and puts their thumb and first finger together to make a circle? Apparently if you witness this then you’ve been ‘got’ and the person making the gesture gets to punch your arm, hard.

Yes I know, not the most intellectual pursuit but apparently it has been a thing since the 90’s both here and across the Atlantic..

Here’s my new driver figure:

Ha, GOT you! And if I didn’t, I have now! This little man owes you a punch. I’ll trust you to dispense self-justice.

Aaaanyway, this geezer is apparently from the Walking Dead, he only appealed to me as he was £9.99 delivered as opposed the usual £30 for these figures. Bargain. Plus he has a nice over-and-under 12 bore. Bonus.

Unfortunately, the articulation of his limbs isn’t the best:

Anything other than the default stance makes him look like he’s forty-second in line for the only portaloo at the festival..

Ooh, get him, he’s got a right attitude.

Jeez, he just flew at me having a right hissy-fit, these actors eh? Some surgery will quiet him down.

‘Honest squire, I thought she was a burglar in the bathroom..’

Too soon? Or just really poor taste. I apologise.

He won’t even look at me now.

There we go, interior done. Fits like a glove.

He still won’t look at me.

If Robert De Niro and OJ Simpson had a spliced-DNA clone made…

Ah, yes. Some actual useful info for you. This Chinese D90 body was woefully inferior to the two I’ve had previously – the body was pretty badly warped when I got it, the hardware was a crap selection of tiny useless Phillips head screws with no washers (as opposed to the nice hex head bolts and washers I had with the other two bodies) and the black sprue is a horrible, brittle plastic that snaps as soon as you look at it. I’ve had to replace the wing mirrors with some off my old SCX D90 which are a far more bendy and pliable plastic.

toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

This has to be the best pic posted on here for a long time. Made me spit out my tea!:

Do you make those number plates yourself?

Grasshopper
    Grasshopper
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Haha, excellent, I’m glad I amused at least one person! And sorry to anyone else who finds my shtick a bit tiring. I like to try and entertain a little to make up for the shortcomings of my builds 😀

Yes on the number plates – I’m ganging some stuff up now for a little run on gloss laminated self-adhesive vinyl so if you have a few plates you need, PM me the content and size. To finish I usually just stick them to a bit of plastic packaging for rigidity and CA (or double-side tape) them to the trucks. The print quality isn’t as pin sharp as a desktop or small-format printer as we use 3.2m x 50m rolls on our printers and they are set up for super-wide format print, (printed at 600dpi) but it’s certainly good enough for my, admittedly, quite low standards.

Geoff
    Geoff
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Well sat in the Landy, he looks good.! 0 a Craz

Geoff in London    

RCWTF OFFICIAL REDCAT GEN 7 DRIVER 

1 user thanked author for this post.
    raven62
    raven62
    • Trailing And Scaling
    • ★★★★

I‘m amused too, but my vocabulary is not good enough. And I won’t tiring you and the other readers with  every second post just as a single-word-answer like „wow“ or „funny“.

But I learn every Day when I reading posts here. Today, for example, such little unknown words like „bonkers“ and „tiring“.

I like this little Forum and his Members 🙂

Regards

Ralf

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Yep, great stuff, I for one very much enjoy your banter and the pictures are hilarious.

Grasshopper
    Grasshopper
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Well, after a load of home and work issues scuppered progress on this, I finally managed to get a few hours in on the weekend. Many attempts at splicing electrical cable to get a nice uniform radius to use as window rubbers paid off eventually, although gluing them on was a slow and laborious process. I’m quite happy with the finished result though:

I used an original cut-down side window for the rear and some acetate sheet for the curved windows – it all came together nicely considering how long I procrastinated over what direction I would take with this. Surprisingly the windows weren’t a million miles off what size they should be (it was all a bit ad hoc when I originally decided to try and use a Persil box for the cab back! I never thought it would work as well as it did.) I found an eerily similar 1:1 truck for comparison:

Many attempts were made at the side windows (!) there wasn’t a lot of space in there with the internal bracing I did, so they had to be spot on and were different each side.

A dark wash and a little dry brushing should see the body as complete as I can make, then it’s just some minor interior work and mounting the winch to finish it. One day I may learn to braze and get a roll bar done..

I’ve learnt a lot (of what NOT to do) with this build and consider it a prototype for possibly doing another improved one in future. Thanks for looking

M and M
    • Trailing And Scaling
    • ★★★★

Very impressed with this, especially pic 4, rear shot.

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

The window rubbers work a treat, great stuff.

toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Looks like a work of art to me. Really good job !!

Grasshopper
    Grasshopper
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Thanks guys, it’s a mess up-close and the angles and sizes are all off but at a quick glance it will pass muster. Definitely the best thing I’ve ever built but that’s not saying a lot.

I got an hour or so free  this weekend to get down the local spinney and have a drive – three pretty bad tumbles didn’t do any damage at all but then it started making a grinding noise and I picked it up and realised one of the shocks had self-destructed. I tried to bodge it back together, to limp it home but only succeeded in poking out one of the curved windows (that took me so long to do!!).

Oh well, I had sheer ‘minutes’ of fun.

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Just read this start to finish. I lolled. Nice build, and ace stories 😎

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 77 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.