Scale RC Forum Forum Members’ Builds Off-Road builds New beginnings for my Gelande

This topic contains 76 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by Grasshopper 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 77 total)
  • Author
    Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Looking good fella, the bumper is definitely too big, the phrase ‘with wings’ keeps popping in to my head.

Grasshopper
    Grasshopper
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Looking good fella, the bumper is definitely too big, the phrase ‘with wings’ keeps popping in to my head.

Hahaha, thanks for passing that on, now I’ve got the old ‘woooooOOOOAAAGHH Bodyfoormmm, bodyform for yoooouuuu…’ advert tune in my head. Also have a hankering for some skydiving..? And drinking WKD blue..? I’ve taken that too far, haven’t I.

I really wanted to like that bumper but it is way too big. What I really want is something like these below:

I’m aiming for a lightly modded farm vehicle/winch challenge truck look. I may have found something. It is little more than a winch platform with a stinger rather than a full on bumper. I don’t plan on doing too much bumping so will report back when it arrives.

Eventually I want a full exo cage over the cab too, as long as funds allow.

Axial SCX10 Dingo    RC4WD TF2 Hilux     RC4WD G2 D90     WPL C14

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Roller skating women with poodles.  Enough already 😉

Don’t CCHand do a frame guard and winch mount?  Hideously expensive however if I remember correctly.

Grasshopper
    Grasshopper
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Roller skating women with poodles.

I’ve spent too much time on Imgur. I wanted to come back with the ‘that’s my fetish’ meme and subvert this thread into depravity.

Don’t CCHand do a frame guard and winch mount? Hideously expensive however if I remember correctly.

Ah, if only ‘expensive’ wasn’t a problem; hideously expensive even more so! This is a low-budget farm build, one boy and his dad type thing (I tell myself by way of justification for my cheapness)

Suitably I have sourced some more cheap tat from our Oriental cousins. If that doesn’t work I may resort to using plastic drinking straws, pipe cleaners, cereal boxes and sticky backed plastic a la Bluepeter. (I jest)            (or do I?)               (yeah.. probably)

colin d
    colin d
    • Ready To Trail
    • ★★

Suitably I have sourced some more cheap tat from our Oriental cousins. If that doesn’t work I may resort to using plastic drinking straws, pipe cleaners, cereal boxes and sticky backed plastic a la Bluepeter. (I jest) (or do I?) (yeah.. probably)

Here’s one I made earlier   Springs to mind

Grasshopper
    Grasshopper
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Here’s one I made earlier Springs to mind

Annnd, here’s one I made earlier:

I’m gonna need a bigger mounting bracket but the winch fits nicely in Thunderbird 2. Although I may not need the winch with the whole of International Rescue on my front bumper. And to think, it’s only marginally bigger than the Team Raffee one above..

Tune in next week when a one tenth scale elephant poos in the studio and Driver Figure No.1 abseils down the BT broadband hub.

(I may have some actual progress on this build one day.)

*edit: That’s not my photo, Google gave it to me freely. I lay no claim to it nor take any responsibility for it. We cool? we cool.

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Hopefully you’ll have this finished for Christmas.

bluepeter_422

Grasshopper
    Grasshopper
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Hopefully you’ll have this finished for Christmas.

Only if the Bring and Buy stall and the homemade lemonade stand hit their targets. Which reminds me, I must go and crack the whip with those lazy primary school children. They tried to revolt when I denied them lemonade on the hottest day of the year. I told them they were already revolting (badum bom tsssh).

Aanyway, I have primed everything and bought the paints so we are getting there.. It’s going to be Ford Radiant Red with black details (not sure if the roof will go black or just stay red).

After umm’ing and ah’ing in Halfords for ages I decided on matt black instead of gloss for the grille and arches etc. – Not sure if I’ve made the right decision yet.

TL;DR: Blah blah blah, photos to follow

Grasshopper
    Grasshopper
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

First bit of colour went on last night, teaser:

Not a great example of it as the lighting is really bad in the man cave. I’m well happy, I usually have a ‘mare trying to get the right colour in my head but this is spot on – not too dark (burgundy) and not too bright (orangey) which were both things I wanted to avoid.

The new bumper is a nice addition, just waiting on the winch to doggy-paddle over from China (seriously, two months delivery??).

I’ve reversed out the wheels so that they don’t foul on the links at full turn, which means I’m going to have to paint them black again like they were originally (doh.) The black and red colour scheme is starting to look good though.

This chassis is the one I use for my D90 van too, the original plan was to get some 1:9 plastic landy wheels to put the mud slingers on but I can’t find four in stock anywhere – Modelsport have two left.. No good to anyone!

So to use that body with these tyres I needed to do some body surgery

Thinking of getting some SDI arches or at worst case, some more SCX10 ones to cut down.

A little sanding tonight and then the next coat of colour. I’ll try to get some pics in daylight. Thanks for looking!

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

That’s a very nice red, you have chosen wisely.  RCModelex usually has some good Landy wheels in at a reasonable price.  Which winch did you go for, shirley you can get something more quickly?

Grasshopper
    Grasshopper
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

That’s a very nice red, you have chosen wisely. RCModelex usually has some good Landy wheels in at a reasonable price. Which winch did you go for, shirley you can get something more quickly?

Shirley probably could have got something quicker but she went down the cheap route again of buying Chinese knock offs. Silly girl. Under £20 for a ‘Warn’ winch and remote control on the ‘bay, it’ll look the part if nothing else!

I did look at the RCModelex landy wheels and they would have been favourite but £50 for four doesn’t sound as good as £11 for four plastic ones, seeing as they wouldn’t really be used in anger, more to just suit the blue body. Now I’ve chopped the arches out of that and ordered some SDI arches I’ll just keep the wheels and tyres I’ve got to use with both bodies. Unfortunately funds are dictating what I can do at the moment, trying to save for a deposit whilst renting (near London), and having a toddler is difficult *violins play*. RC is right at the back of priorities (according to my missus).

I’ll have some more pics later – it’s all painted. Not a great job when looking up close, all the areas I’ve filled stand out like sore thumbs and I got a few particles and hairs in the finish. Still, although I have a streak of pedantry I am also philosophically acceptant of failure 🙂

Geoff
    Geoff
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

The Plastic wheels are ok , if you don’t intend to use it on rocky runs. as they break easily if you land to hard on them.

I like the Red Paint. ! 0 athup

Geoff in London    

RCWTF OFFICIAL REDCAT GEN 7 DRIVER 

Grasshopper
    Grasshopper
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

The Plastic wheels are ok , if you don’t intend to use it on rocky runs. as they break easily if you land to hard on them. I like the Red Paint. ! 0 athup

Cheers Geoff, good to know. I’ll try and get some if Modelsport ever get a full set back in stock!

I’m really happy with the colour, it’s exactly what I had in my mind’s eye. More pics later!

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Not wishing to cause you any irritation but I have one of those knock off winches you could have had, they are crap but as you say do look the part, though be aware they’re the same size as the large RC4WD Warn winch, not the mini one.

Grasshopper
    Grasshopper
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I’ll never learn my lesson. Cheap things no good, good things no cheap. Bah.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 77 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.