Scale RC Forum Forum Members’ Builds Off-Road builds New beginnings for my Gelande

This topic contains 76 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by Grasshopper 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 77 total)
  • Author
    mark
    mark
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

That’s coming along nicely. I’ve wondered how the front needs to be altered to make it correct. If I build another D90 I’ll know where to look for reference pics.

Grasshopper
    Grasshopper
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Cheers Mark, I’m just planning on getting it as close as I can with what I’m given – no way could I do it proper justice without some 3D printed parts. I did try to go that route originally too, but failed sourcing what I needed. Bah. Harumph.

Changing the subject slightly, I obtained some Zap Goo.. Which I guess is the same as shoo goo? (shue? shoe? shu?) Which originally was a shoe glue? Or a glue for shoes? So with shoo goo that’s shoe glue, and zap goo that’s shoe glue too, just like shoo goo? I found myself in some kind of Dr. Seussian hell.   Anyway..

I was inspired by Bangle’s D90 build regarding the bonnet and grille area, as she was the first I’ve seen that was bothered by it. I grew up in the eighties so that style looks so much more natural to me, I thought I’ll have to give it a go.

I actually managed to park up near old and new style Defenders at Wings and Wheels the other week:

It’s good to get 1:1 reference when all you’ve been working from is these:

although that truck is the bomb, or peng in today’s parlance, I’m led to believe.

I think I might open a window. That goo has a strong aroma.

Axial SCX10 Dingo    RC4WD TF2 Hilux     RC4WD G2 D90     WPL C14

Grasshopper
    Grasshopper
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

After a brief stay in the Priory for my Goo addiction issues I got back on this. I was getting nowhere with shaping the bonnet so after a little snifter of Goo I set about hacking it off

The brace is just temporary – I glued it up before taking the bonnet off because the shell is so wonky I wanted to make sure it goes back correctly. I’ve shaped the bonnet but still need to glue a strip to the front to give it the slight overhang

I’ve also copped a bit off the bottom of the grille area so it is almost flush with the lights – without doing this the grille would sit up too high

As you can see through the grille, I decided to extend my slowly growing skills in to making a radiator

The two strips are a brace that goes in front of the rad a la this one:

After shaving off the rivets on the sides of the bed (Defenders don’t actually have these) I was left with these

Which I preceded to use to create a similar bottom hinge on the rear door to the top one, from this:

to this:

It’s a small thing but I’m quite proud of it! It was very fiddly.

The last real tricky part that I’ve been putting off is the curved roof part. I had various ideas to bodge this up but seeing how surprisingly well the rest of it has gone I thought I’d best put the time in and bespoke make it. Tools of the trade below including 10mm and 3mm Foamex and some mind-lubricant for a hot evening in the man-cave

And here we are, finished

No. Much careful sanding, inspection, sanding, inspection, sanding, coughing, inspection, sanding etc. to come..

This is really taking shape now, I’m as dumbfounded as you.

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Great progress on this, it’s really coming together fella, loving all the details.  And that roof looks fine when I take my glasses off.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Grasshopper
    Grasshopper
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Ah yes, the old 8-bit roof for true retro feels.

It does indeed look fine when in a darkened room, facing the other way with your eyes closed. I shall endeavour to improve it slightly though, so it doesn’t bring shame on my family and cause my ancestors turmoil.

I may have purchased a slight impulse buy – I’ve been looking at changing up the front bumper for a winch one. Most of what I’d seen was the best part of £60-100 and then I came across this on AsiaTees for £25 delivered:

I have no idea what it’s going to be like though and don’t think I’ve seen it elsewhere.. Oh well, worth a punt. Anyone got any info on it?

Manufacturer info:

Team Raffee Co. RC4WD Gelande II D90/D110 Metal Front Bumper w/ Towing Hooks For D90 D110 TRX4 Defender
    Item Number TRC/302379

Grasshopper
    Grasshopper
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Taking shape

Still a lot to do though. Cheers

mark
    mark
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

This is turning out to be an awesome build. That cab back is very impressive.

Grasshopper
    Grasshopper
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

This has gone much better than I ever expected it to BUT there are some details that don’t look right – the back window is the wrong size, it looks far too wide (although is that because the whole body is too wide?); and the roof is a lot shallower on the pick up’s so my one is way too high; and for all the messing about I’ve done with the bonnet it doesn’t look much better than it did originally! But never mind, I shall carry on regardless.

I’ve started the first round of filling – I’m so close to getting a coat of primer on this bad boy!

Another little fly in the ointment is that the new tyres rub on the links at full lock so I’ll either have to limit the (already not fantastic) steering OR reverse out the wheels/ use spacers – which I’m not too happy with as they tuck nicely under the arches currently.

Pete Attryde
    Pete Attryde
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Looks pretty good from here 🙂

I did similar with the bonnet/grill on the 100″ I built a couple of years ago. I seem to recall removing a lot of material from the front of the bonnet and not needing to add any at all. On a 1:1 the grill surround is a little proud of the front edge of the bonnet even on the none airconditioned versions.

100 Hybrid (25)100 Hybrid (33)

With regards to the wheel arch flairs they are too deep top to bottom in the middle section and the wrong shape on these bodies and (I think) look better with some material removed to make the opening slightly taller and squarer..

Pete's Scale Fab Shop - Facebook  Instagram

Grasshopper
    Grasshopper
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Wow, that bonnet looks so much better than mine! Great job. Is that the orange one you’ve got that cool photo of looking over a valley?

I don’t think I’ve ever seen that build on here.

You’re spot on with the arches too but the tyres tuck nicely in there on mine and I was surprised I managed to shave them as nicely as I did anyway, so I’ll leave those as is.

Thanks for the pics, it’s great to see different ways of tackling the issue – if I do this again I’ll prob try your way of doing the bonnet as it does look more realistic. And I prob would do another Defender variant too, for £30 those Chinese D90 shells provide a great starting point to have some choppy gluey fun!

Geoff
    Geoff
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I really like this, good work. it’s going to look Great ! 0 athup

Geoff in London    

RCWTF OFFICIAL REDCAT GEN 7 DRIVER 

Grasshopper
    Grasshopper
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Many thanks Geoff, I think you were probably looking at Pete’s though.. haha 😀

Pete Attryde
    Pete Attryde
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Yep, that’s the one. Build is on here but the photo’s got photobucketed and have not got round to reuploadloading them yet.

Pete's Scale Fab Shop - Facebook  Instagram

Grasshopper
    Grasshopper
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

So the ‘blind-buy’ bumper I got for this project turned up..

I think it looks a bit large and over the top for this build – it stated it was suitable for the TRX4 and Gelande but I’m thinking it would fit a TRX4 much better (are they slightly bigger than the Chinese Defender bodies?)

I’ll hold off the decision until I’m further along with paint but I reckon I will be selling this bumper on.

Anyway, got a little primer down on the more scruffy bits to see where I am (before the can spluttered into lifelessness)

More filling, sanding, priming (ad nauseam) to come..

raven62
    raven62
    • Trailing And Scaling
    • ★★★★

Cooool workbench and bodywork.

Waiting for more pics of the tiny little details….

Regards

Ralf

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 77 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.