Scale RC Forum Forum Members’ Builds Off-Road builds New beginnings for my Gelande

This topic contains 76 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by Grasshopper 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 77 total)
  • Author
    Grasshopper
    Grasshopper
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I wanted a new project to dawdle and procrastinate over (as is my way) and after a recent shake down with my trucks I decided my G2 needs some love.

Both my G2 and TF2 are Class 1 (I believe) as they are fairly scale and stock, and they struggle with a lot of stuff my SCX10 just breezes over – in the G2’s case it seems the stock tyres, although very scale looking, are too skinny and tall and struggle on loose material on climbs and also are particularly useless at side-hilling (the poor CoG of the D90 shell doesn’t help either). I want to make it more of a Class 2 crawler so stock tyres have got to go and that CoG needs sorting.

I’ve just ordered some 1.9 Rock Crusher X/T’s, wheel weights and also a new Chinese D90 shell to attempt a full round cab-back pick-up. I desperately wanted the Team Raffee pick up body and almost clicked the button at 70 odd quid but then they tried to fleece me for an additional £50 for delivery and that firmly put it out of reach (I really couldn’t justify well over £100 for a plastic body, no matter how nice!)

I’m planning on loosely copying the red/black style of my old HPI lexan Defender pick-up shell from my first SCX10 for nostalgia reasons, although I have been known to do absurd U-turns on colour decisions (generally at the last moment, standing in Halfords staring at spray cans like some kind of CFC addict) This poor desktop wallpaper I made a long time ago is the only pic I can find of it on my computer at work:

I’m also getting a front window guard from SARGE which I will use for this. Alongside the ambitious (for me!) pick-up conversion I will also attempt to cut the nose off and have it more flush with the headlights as per a non-air conditioned Defender (early-mid nineties?) and also see if I can sort the bonnet front out too which is pretty poor on the Chinese Defender bodies. I’m not much of a modeller but desperately want to change this and improve my skills. Any advice greatly appreciated.

I’m putting this out there before actually getting everything, basically to make myself keep to these ideals – I’m hoping that the fact this is a ‘spare’ body, in the sense that I can still use my current body for the G2, will mean I won’t force myself to get this done too quickly and not the quality that I’m aiming for.

Sorry for the rambling intro, I hope the eventual build transcends this initial guff  🙂

Axial SCX10 Dingo    RC4WD TF2 Hilux     RC4WD G2 D90     WPL C14

mark
    mark
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Those Land Rovers have a tendency to fall over 😁

IMG_4631

The Team Raffee bodies are nice. There’s one on eBay that’s going cheap at the moment, just in case https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F302767975442

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

It’s good to see you embarking on another build, looking forward to seeing this come together.

Grasshopper
    Grasshopper
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Cheers guys, I’m looking forward to getting some packages this week, been a long time since I’ve had a proper project. I have cleared the garage out this weekend in anticipation so I actually have somewhere to tinker. Also went through a lot of stacked boxes and found tools and spares I’d forgotten I owned – I’ve not tinkered properly since moving house in Oct!

Dang it, I would have definitely bid on that Team Raffee body, although I imagine it will rise above the £45 it’s currently on – the roll cage alone is worth that probably. Oh well, the Chinese body will give me a chance to hone my rusty modelling ‘skills’  🙂

Grasshopper
    Grasshopper
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Woohoo! Three packages turned up first thing this morning, big thanks to SARGE for the D90 window guard, very well packaged and all present and correct; big thanks to Martin @ RCBitz for my order and extra decals(!); and big thanks to (indecipherable characters) for my D90 body!

The game is afoot!

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Ooooh yes, packages of RC stuff arriving, it really shouldn’t be as exciting as it it.  Commence!

Grasshopper
    Grasshopper
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I’ve recently got my man-cave all set up in the new garage, so with all my tools and implements close to hand, I set about some fairly drastic body surgery.

Fear not, I wasn’t in a nihilistic spiral of self-abuse and masochistic mutilation, I was just butchering a cheap Defender shell innit.

Set about leveling the front grille area like this one:

Not sure how I’m going to tackle the bonnet yet so nothing’s glued.

I have a couple of ideas of how to bodge up construct the roof and back panel.. It’ll be fine. *eye twitches maniacally*

Josh
    Josh
    • Ready To Trail
    • ★★

I had a rather drastic change to get rid of the wrongly shaped bonnet and nasty grill in my 110 pick up I built and went down the route of turning it into a series 3 109 (I shouldn’t be allowed a Dremel). its still a slow work in progress as I use the trucks as I build them. it started life as an RC4WD 110 kit. I made a rear bed and front from styrene to the best of my ability. still haven’t finished the conversion of the rear end to the series 3 style.

DSC_0112DSC_0113DSC_0114DSC_0124

it took a small amount of abuse at the G6 last month and I lost the centre bar on the window surround and I’m still working on the right headlight

I lost the centre bar after the roll over mark got a photo of

DSC_0337DSC_0339

Grasshopper
    Grasshopper
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Hi Josh, that’s a cool looking Landy, nice tube work too.

I see from Mark’s pic that Chell is not much of a driver.. It must be all the cake 😀 (one for the Portal fans and I’m not talking hubs!)

I’m impressed after all that work that you took it to the notoriously tough G6 – that’s claimed quite a few victims I hear

Josh
    Josh
    • Ready To Trail
    • ★★

I like to use my trucks, and see just how far they’ll go, don’t think I missed to many courses with it either. It got muddy and took almost an hour to clean it all off the chassis and axles. The G6 claimed the tube work on my scx10.2 lc70 truggy with a big roll over.

Grasshopper
    Grasshopper
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Made some progress on the rear:

I have a left-field solution to the rounded back issue.. possibly.

It appears that a standard Persil liquitab type box is the exact right size and has near as dammit compound curves too

It’s quite bendy plastic though so I’ll brace it with some styrene. Just hoping the paint will adhere to it… I also found out that a Berrocca packet will possibly make the curve of the roof just leaving the end corners which I’ll stick some Foamex in to blocks and sand down to shape. A bit of filler and lots of shoe goo later.. who knows? It’s all good fun!

Grasshopper
    Grasshopper
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Not strictly an update to the truck but I needed a better work surface for my new work bench so knocked something up at work on aluminium composite with an anti graffiti gloss laminate:

Doubles as my ‘scale garage’ for pics

So much better than the rubbish chip board underneath. I could have gone to town with the design, adding loads of logos and pics but I just wanted it done and dusted.

Geoff
    Geoff
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

That looks great, very professional.    Thumbs_Up_Hand_Sign_Emoji

Geoff in London    

RCWTF OFFICIAL REDCAT GEN 7 DRIVER 

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

That works really well Gav, nice one and good progress on the 90, I like your recycling approach!

Grasshopper
    Grasshopper
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Cheers guys, I’ve done more in the last two weeks than I’ve done for months, so nice to have a good space to work in.

The back is taking shape now, I’m really happy with it – just slightly worried how it’ll take the paint.. I’m using five completely different types of plastic.

I’ve braced up the cab back with styrene to make it more rigid which has also given me a nice recess to locate the windows in. I’m using a racing-style seat back from Don Jarr and doing away with the passenger seat. I’ve had to chop off the seat and re-mount it slightly forward and around 6mm lower so it doesn’t foul on the back of the cab. This will also mean my driver isn’t lost in the roof like Bishop is in my blue D90. Here’s some pics – back isn’t glued in yet as I’m trying to iron out issues before they become issues if you see what I mean – not the way I usually work!

This definitely the most chopping and gluing I’ve ever done on a body, I’m loving it! So nice to not rush myself either. Cheers

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 77 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.