Scale RC Forum Forum Members’ Builds Off-Road builds My Take on the SSD Trail King

This topic contains 25 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Pete Attryde 4 days, 20 hours ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Yep, that works, looks superb.  Did you notice that SSD has released an overdrive gear set for the axles?

Retrocosm On YouTube   Instagram   Website   Twitter   Facebook JSScale Team Driver

toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Yep, that works, looks superb. Did you notice that SSD has released an overdrive gear set for the axles?

Yes i did spot that. I’m using the Boom Racing one in the front for now.

Life has been a bit hectic to say the least these last few weeks so toy trucks have had to be put to one side. However, I’m back on this build now.

With the UK Nats in 7 days time I’ve had to change plans a little on this build to get it finished. I was going to build a front bumper to incorporate some headlight mounts and a fairlead, but with time against me I decided to build up a simple bumper just for now, and come back later to do my original idea.

As usual I started by making a brace to hold the parts together while they are brazed. Here’s the two bumper mounts, cross piece and the upright already notched.

And all brazed up. I’ll tidy up the mounting tabs before paint.

Here’s how I mounted the battery under the interior bench seat. It fits just under the bench and is held in by the bench and the angle on the chassis rails behind it. The side brace lifts of at one end to allow me to slide the battery out from the side.

And, lastly for tonight, the metal work is now etched primed and ready for the top coat in a couple of days.

Thanks for looking.

damohick
    damohick
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Looking good Neil … look forward to seeing this next week!

toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Thanks Damo. I’m looking forward to a weekend of dusty dry trails…

Finished up the rather simple interior. The base was a Tamiya Hilux interior that I added a 3d printed Power Wagon dash to. I had to cut a little out for the transmission but nothing too bad. It’ll do.

And, it’s all finished apart from the body. The color will be revealed before the weekend… hopefully.

I had an idea to store the box spanner and SSD hub tool in the cooler.

That’s all for now.

Grasshopper
    Grasshopper
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Looks proper tidy, love the cooler stash idea. Looking forward to seeing the colour

Axial SCX10 Dingo D90    RC4WD TF2 Hilux     RC4WD G2 D90

Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Love it, so clean and well thought out as always. I also really like the ‘toolbox’ idea and am looking forward to seeing the body on there. I shall be really interested to know how it performs.

Retrocosm On YouTube   Instagram   Website   Twitter   Facebook JSScale Team Driver

toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Looks proper tidy, love the cooler stash idea. Looking forward to seeing the colour

Thank you. Colour all done!

Love it, so clean and well thought out as always. I also really like the ‘toolbox’ idea and am looking forward to seeing the body on there. I shall be really interested to know how it performs.

Thanks. I have already driven it without the body, and i must say it performs amazing. No torque twist and super stable. I don’t think it’ll need much tweaking, but I’ll see how it does this weekend.

All done, for this weekend anyway. I had a look in my cupboard of spray paints to see what I could come up with. Decided on Black and Gun Metal. I’m really pleased with the result.

Need to name this fella, but he seems pretty happy in there.

I’d still like to add some lights, and maybe a servo winch, but that’ll be after the UK Nationals this weekend.

Thanks for following along. Trail pics to follow…

Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

It’s an absolute stunner on every level. I love the stance on it and the colour choice, really mean and moody, gorgeous.

Grasshopper
    Grasshopper
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Didn’t realise it was two-tone until the third from last pic, looks great. Very understated colour choice for you, I was expecting metallic orange or something!

Best of luck in the Nat’s, hope the weather stays clement for you all. Take as many pics as you can, I’ll have to live it vicariously as usual 🙂

Axial SCX10 Dingo D90    RC4WD TF2 Hilux     RC4WD G2 D90

MarkB
    • Looking For Mud

That’s looks fantastic, love the two tone paint, perfect for that truck

Pete Attryde
    Pete Attryde
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Looks even better in the flesh, sadly didn’t get to see it in action.

I am also hugely impressed with the thought that has gone into the SSD chassis and running gear.

Pete's Scale Fab Shop - Facebook  Instagram

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.