Scale RC Forum Forum Members’ Builds Off-Road builds My Take on the SSD Trail King

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    toyolientoyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I’m quite excited to finally get this kit. I’ve been backwards and forwards for a while now between this and the Element Enduro. The main reasons for not going with the Enduro were the flexy plastic and the transmission. I know there are hard options, and had these have been included in the builders kit, I may have gone with it. Although it’s great that the transmission has overdrive, I was just a little disappointed that it hadn’t got a forward mounted motor. But, for a Version 1, it does look a great truck.

So, that brings me to the Trail King. When SSD first announced their kit I must admit I was a little disappointed. I (wrongly) thought it was just an SCX10II. However looking into the kit further I realised there was a lot more to it than that. The re-designed off set Pro44 axles, the all new scale transmission, which has a super low forward mounted motor, Aluminium C Hubs, Knuckles and Panhard Mount, Titanium links with Metal Balls, All alloy shocks, and more. The fact that it’s also compatible with a lot of SCX10ii stuff is also a bonus.

So, here it is. The box is a little understated, and doesn’t really do the contents justice.

All the contents are really well packaged, and labelled.

Everything that is designed to go together do so very ‘snuggly’. So far I’ve only assembled the axles and transmission, and there isn’t any movement anywhere. No slop in the axles or transmission…

One thing I did notice in the manual is during assembly of the rear axle it says to use m3x6 bolts to hold the bearing caps on. This is incorrect as there are no m3x6 in the bag. And, if you use one it touches the axle. So, you use the m3x5’s that are included.

Here are the assembled axles. I also added some scale hardware I had spare. I had heard that there were some complaints regarding the nylon axle tubes not having much material for the bolts, or that it was easy to strip them. But, I can confirm that the quality of the plastic is superb. If you’ve assembled plastic kits before then you should be fine. If you are ham-fisted then you may have issues, as you would with any other plastic parts.

And lastly for tonight, the completed scale transmission. All I can say about this is that it is a work of art! I’ve had a few GCM transmissions that are amazing to put together and this is no exception. The final result is a ‘super’ smooth transmission with a much lower motor than with the RC4WD or GCM transmission. I’m really impressed!

Thanks for looking, and more coming soon.

Sysop
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Fantastic, so glad you’re putting one of these together, SSD stuff never fails to impress.  Great pictures as always, is that a 16T motor?

Retrocosm On YouTube   Instagram   Website   Twitter   Facebook JSScale Team Driver

toyolientoyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Fantastic, so glad you’re putting one of these together, SSD stuff never fails to impress. Great pictures as always, is that a 16T motor?

Thank you. I’m really quite excited about this one. But it is going to be another Hilux I think…

Yes, is a 16t. Not tried it yet. Only ever had 35t’s so it’ll be interesting.

toyolientoyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Here’s a quick comparison between the GCM and the SSD scale transmissions. The SSD houses the motor much lower:

Pete AttrydePete Attryde
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Fantastic, so glad you’re putting one of these together, SSD stuff never fails to impress. Great pictures as always, is that a 16T motor?

Thank you. I’m really quite excited about this one. But it is going to be another Hilux I think… Yes, is a 16t. Not tried it yet. Only ever had 35t’s so it’ll be interesting.

As it’s a 5 slot motor instead of the more usual 3 slot it will be super smooth at low speed and give about the same wheel speed as a 35t.

Is the transmission housing plastic? does look like a nice option, especially with the motor beeing that bit lower.

Pete's Scale Fab Shop - Facebook  Instagram

toyolientoyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I’m happy with 35t on 3s, which is the reason i chose the 16t. I’m hoping for good things.

The housing is plastic, but it’s a tough plastic. It went together nice and easy.

Little more progress this afternoon. Although the shock came assembled I like to take them apart, add some Associated Slime and put them back together. These are the nicest shocks I’ve ever built. Super smooth, and the tolerances are superb. They are the only shocks I’ve built where the lower spring retainer (which is alloy) is a tight fit over the rod end. Another thing that has been well thought about.

And as a roller.

I’m still not 100% sure on a body, but it will more than likely be a cab with a cage back. I really like the look of these, and I do like a bit of steel work here and there…

So, as usual a Hilux cab is on stand by.

Thanks for looking.

Sysop
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

That is quite a difference on the motor height, should make real difference on performance.  I’m a sucker for a good shock absorber, glad to read SSD have spent some time on them.  I love your wheel/tyre combo as well.

Retrocosm On YouTube   Instagram   Website   Twitter   Facebook JSScale Team Driver

Pete AttrydePete Attryde
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I’m happy with 35t on 3s, which is the reason i chose the 16t. I’m hoping for good things. The housing is plastic, but it’s a tough plastic.

I think you will be happy.

The gearbox being plastic is no bad thing as it will potentially make it cheaper to buy on it’s own.

I must admit that I had kind of dismissed this as another SCX-10II clone, so far I am impressed with the details and though that appears to have been put into it.

Pete's Scale Fab Shop - Facebook  Instagram

toyolientoyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

That is quite a difference on the motor height, should make real difference on performance. I’m a sucker for a good shock absorber, glad to read SSD have spent some time on them. I love your wheel/tyre combo as well.

I’m hoping so. This kit is such a pleasure to put together. It’s how all kits should be. Nothing is compromised and everything has been thought about. And, everything fits tight.

I think you will be happy. The gearbox being plastic is no bad thing as it will potentially make it cheaper to buy on it’s own. I must admit that I had kind of dismissed this as another SCX-10II clone, so far I am impressed with the details and though that appears to have been put into it.

Thanks Pete. I also had discounted this kit when i first saw it. But the more i looked at it the more new things i saw. Plus, i really do like the backwards compatibility with more SCX10 II stuff. For the kind of build i like doing it’s perfect.

toyolientoyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I haven’t had much time over the last several days but I have decided on a body. More on that at the end.

The body I’m going with is quite a bit narrower than the kit sliders which presented me with a choice to make. Either cut up the kit sliders to fit or make my own. I decided to get the saw out.

And here’s my choice. It probably comes as no surprise but it’s a Power Wagon.

This truck is going to be a good performing trail truck. I’ve always like the look of this Power Wagon so I’m going to do my own take on this. Different color, slightly different cage but I’m hoping for a very similar stance. We’ll see.

Sysop
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Ok, that’s it, I’m excited.

toyolientoyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Small Update: We have a roller!

I wanted a simple interior in the cab. I already have a few Tamiya drivers and a couple of spare Hilux interiors so I wanted to try to use one of those. I have looked at all the 3d printed interior options from RCNerds on Shapeways, and while they look amazing, it was going to cost way too much. Then I spotted a guy selling a Power Wagon dash on Shapeways at a very reasonable price. So, I grabbed one and decided to mate it to the Hilux interior.

Difficult to see from this pic, but it fits the Power Wagon cab perfectly.

And here it is installed in the chassis leaving just enough room for the electrics.

I want to run the battery down low on the right hand slider, so I only have the space on the left hand slider for all the electrics. The Siderwinder 4 I’m using took up a large amount of space, so I had to come up with another mounting option for the receiver. Using some 2mm black styrene, I came up with this option.

I then added a smaller electrical box under the received to tidy up all the wiring.

The ESC and battery are a nice snug fit under the bench seat.

I was very lucky to win a Reefs RC Triple 5 Servo on Instagram. I’ve always used Hitec 7955’s and 7950’s. But this is next level. It’s so well made, and amazingly quiet. Really looking forward to trying it out.

And, finally a roller.

After a quick little test in my garage I can happily say that there is next to no torque twist and it climbed up the same angle as my TRX4 on my crudely made test board. But, it is so quite and smooth. Next up will be my favorite part; the metal work. I’m going for a low down simple rear cage with a spare tire carrier and cooler mount etc, and a nice front bumper that will incorporate two headlight mounts. More on that next time.

Thanks for looking.

Sysop
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I was right to be excited, that is as sweet as a nut.  I like your solution for the interior and I probably wasn’t paying attention but did you make the inner fenders?

toyolientoyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Thank you. Unfortunately I can’t take credit for the fenders. They are by xtra speed and are for the scx10ii that I just chopped up to suit the Power Wagon body.

toyolientoyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

The last two evenings, I’ve been working on the cage. I don’t want an elaborate heavy cage, so it will be a nice low simple one. As the Trail King (and SCX10ii) chassis tapers out just behind the cab it makes it awkward to braze the two mounts onto the bottom of the cage. So, to get round this, and make sure that the mounts sit flush against the chassis sides, I cut a piece of alloy square bar the same width and tapered the ends to match the chassis. I then bolted the two mounts on and brazed them into place. This way they match perfectly the chassis profile.

Here you can see the angle that the mounts need to be at.

And all finished off.

On to the main cage. The rear hoop was straight forward with two 90 degree bends. As with all the parts I make I draw them out on paper first and mark where the bends need to be. Then I can match up as I go to ensure everything fits perfectly.

The black washer in the pic is the same diameter as the bearing I use to bend the tubes around. This allows me to place the washer on the paper where the bends will be and mark the centre of the bends on each piece.

I then do the first bend, and check on the drawing that it matches. Then I mark it on my bender to make sure the next one matches exactly.

Final check on the drawing before brazing.

And here we are. Two evenings work!

More coming soon…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.