Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Bill
      • Scale Off Road Pro
      • ★★★★★★

I love the one this page.

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/rc4wd-trail-finder-2/369327-rc4wd-trail-finder-2-picture-archive-2.html

I’ve got some micro odds and sods still, I’ll dig em out might be something of use to you ;)

sparks1337
        • Trailing And Scaling
        • ★★★★

Cheers, let me know what you find :)

Yeh I just love Noob’s one. His build thread convinced me that I needed a TF2 – I had been lookng at Wraiths up till then. Man has he got some skills with plastic! Between his rig and your old one, I don’t think there’s much left to be done with beige :D

Bill
          • Scale Off Road Pro
          • ★★★★★★

If non of this is any use I can delete the post for you afterwards.

Wheels and tyres first.
          1 full set of RC4WD metal wheels nuts.
          3 sets of mini Z rims that fit directly the custom tyres (2 sets of pictured on the right).
          2 sets of the above mentioned tyres (got 2 as they are hard to get).
          To suite those tyres I removed the bead on a stock set of micro wheels (got two done, 2 to go) which you can see pictured on right next to bag, so a dab of glue and they will fit straight on, an are really scale.
          1 full set of micro crawler wheels and tyres
          1 full set of trekker tyres (wheels are the ones I started adapting)
          1 full set of wheels tyres from the 1/24th kit.
          A single super swamper
          a micro servo
          file-147.jpg

1 complete hilux interior with 3 sets of mirrors!
          file-145.jpg

1 complete jeep kit (which am just showing cause its here)
          file-146.jpg

2 trekker shells (good for bashing) made to look like honcho’s
          can be seen in first picture

Hope thats a help in some way

sparks1337
            • Trailing And Scaling
            • ★★★★

Hmmm. I might be interested in those wheels n tyres with the beadlocks removed – if you’d be willing to remove the other two – how did you do it? Also would cut’n’shut stock tyres fit them?

Also looking at that floorpan / interior. Might be a tad small though as mine is supposedly 1/20 not 1/24. What’s the length/width / wheelbase on that floorpan?

Sorry, 20 questions lol!

… and no need to remove the post after, other peeps reading might be interested too B)

Bill
              • Scale Off Road Pro
              • ★★★★★★

BeADLOCKS WERE EASY, TAKE OFF THE RING AND BIN. USE SCISSORS TO REMOVE THE CHROME LIP WITH THE SCREW HOLES IN. THEN I POPPED THEM IN A DRILL AND FILED THE SMOOTH.
              They just slot into the tyres shown which are solid alll the way through. They would then be glued.
              The guy that produces the tyres is in the states and does them in batches but can’t remember his ebay name.
              The RC4WD metal wheel nuts finish the job off too rather than that black plastic one.

The interior white boxy bit is 59mm wide at the top of the door cards. Obviously theres seats, dash, steering wheel etc.

Bill
                • Scale Off Road Pro
                • ★★★★★★

sorry had caps on

sparks1337
                  • Trailing And Scaling
                  • ★★★★

ah, shame. That interior is gonna be way too small for me – mines 73mm across inside at the doortops. The metal nuts would be nice but I’m using the wheel widener kit so they’re no good to me either.

I have a set of four super swampers waiting to go on so I’d like to take that for a spare if I may. I’ll pass on the other wheels tho ta, I plan to run this and not sure about solid tyres – on balance they might even be a tad too small with the 1/20 body. The stockers are 1″ dia – 20 inch rims in 1:1 which isn’t too far-fetched.

Give me a pm if you can be bothered with shifting the single tyre – understtand if not and thanks for the offer. No worries about caps – it’s a bit difficult to tell on here when you’re typing!

Bill
                    • Scale Off Road Pro
                    • ★★★★★★

No worries mate. Yeh I can pop that spare over to you. Pm me your address bud and ill get it in the post.

sparks1337
                      • Trailing And Scaling
                      • ★★★★

My spare tyre arrived during the week, thanks Bill :)

Progress is slow. I’ve played around with the links and got the suspension working as it should. Installed the rear leds and detailed the bed:

P1010220.jpg
                      P1010224.jpg

Servo has also gone in. I swapped the stocker for an old hitec – owning an early mini-t has given me an aversion to losi servos :angry: The hitec lost its mounting ears in a front-ender years ago. Glad I’ve found a use for it :P

I’m waiting for more bits to turn up to arrive so decided to make some seats:
                      P1010225.jpg
                      P1010226.jpg

And test fitted:
                      P1010231.jpg

The trekkies fit pretty well although the guy is slightly on the large side. They’ve had to lose their feet, but considering where the transmission sits I’ve been surprised at how much of an interior I can fit in there.

Once the electronics are installed I can crack on with a dash, tunnel cover and doorcards. I need to find some nice flexible clear plastic for the windows. The lexan sheet I have is too thick to make the windscreen curve.

sparks1337
                        • Trailing And Scaling
                        • ★★★★

I’ve been making a dash while waiting for the electronics to arrive:

P1010241.jpg
                        P1010242.jpg
                        P1010243.jpg

I think I’m slowly getting better at this styrene lark. Still a bit wonky but it doesn’t notice much. I used some brass bushings from an old walkman and an off-cut of resistor wire to make the vents. The column stalks are made from a bit of paper-clip and the wheel rim is an o-ring :)

I’ve got scaled down dinkyrc yota dash stickers to go on the dials and facia, and a perspex cover to go over the dials.

Also been making a dish drainer, um I mean roofrack. Not sure about this yet …
                        P1010244.jpg

Bill
                          • Scale Off Road Pro
                          • ★★★★★★

Great work!!

Have you decided on a paint scheme now then?

sparks1337
                            • Trailing And Scaling
                            • ★★★★

Cheers bill :) I still feel like a learner tho :S

Yep, after much prevaricating its gonna be tamiya blue with a tamiya racing white (slightly off-white) topper, I think with yellow & red stripes around the waist line, from the door handles back.

I wanted a stock colour – I hovered over a metallic blue for a bit but decided it needed something fairly drab to make it less toy-like. The stripes should give it just enough of a lift and the colours stick it firmly back in the early eighties :)

sparks1337
                              • Trailing And Scaling
                              • ★★★★

I worked out why I didn’t like the roofrack – it was too big (and messy)!

After much whittling I’m a lot happier with it. Part of the plastic coating split so I repaired the section with heatshrink. Once it’s sanded and painted it shouldn’t notice:

P1010248.jpg

sparks1337
                                • Trailing And Scaling
                                • ★★★★

It’s been a while since the last update. I’ve been waiting for bits to arrive. All the electronics are here, somehow got to squeeze this lot in. I would have really liked to put a micro winch in, to pay homage to the Nikko donor, but there just isn’t any room:

P1010253.jpg

I was looking around to replace the stock NiMh and liked the integral plug on these. They are intended for the blade micro heli. I was hoping to go for a single cell lipo that I could just clip in under the bed for easy battery changing.

Unfortunately 1S barely gets it moving never mind climb anything, so I’ve had to scrap that idea! I’ll now be running two of them in parallel, with a box in the back to hide them. I lashed up a test rig and 2S gives it plenty of power and the esc seems to have reasonable low speed control.

Progress has been slow, but I’ve more or less completed the underbody / interior.

P1010272.jpg

Added a transmission tunnel and door cards, wired the front lights in, added the rear bumper mounts and tabs for the body to clip over. I’m struggling to design a spare wheel carrier for the rear bumper atm.

P1010273.jpg

It looks a total mess! I’m hoping a bit of sanding and filling will help.

I couldn’t resist splashing out on some Hot Racing bling for the chassis too. A bit shiny, but it adds some welcome weight and strength to the axles. I’ll leave it for now but it may end up painted black.

P1010268.jpg

The rear lockouts are particularly nice as they clean up the look of the axle and no more unnecessary dogbones and cups. Also picked up an Atomic BB motor to add some extra kick. Apparently these things run really hot so I’ll be keeping an eye on it.

I also forked out on some BWD ally wideners and brass barrel nuts. The CrawlerX plastic ones didn’t really fill me with confidence. I didn’t realise the BWD wideners still require the stock plastic hexes. They’re also a few mm wider than the CrawlerX ones, so I won’t be using them. I’ve kept CrawlerX wideners with the brass nuts – the sleeves are slightly too long so I’m using a washer until I can find the courage to attack them with my dremel :huh:

This is how it sits atm:

P1010280.jpg

P1010262.jpg

P1010281.jpg

I’ve de-stickered the body and started filling and sanding. Added quarterlights and removed the bumperlet things from the rear corners. Everything is nearly ready for a shot of primer. I also couldn’t resist detailing the grille. Doesn’t bear up too well under close scrutiny, hence the RUF plate :P

Bill
                                  • Scale Off Road Pro
                                  • ★★★★★★

Looks 1/10th tbh really smart, just noticed your nice axles too. Great work! B)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.