Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    • Trailing And Scaling
    • ★★★★

Can you see what it is yet? Sorry for the crappy pic. I hoovered this up from the bay for £11 – sold as not working and badly advertised, with a pic worse than mine :silly:

IMG_20120907_161650.jpg

• Scaling Like A Pro
    • ★★★★★

that winch is just soo scale lo, whats the rest of the detail like?

• Trailing And Scaling
    • ★★★★

Lol yeh the winch has been ditched along with everything else. The bodyshell is pretty good underneath all the chrome.

I have been having bad thoughts about a ‘mini me’ for my TF2 ever since seeing Bill’s micros. 1/20th seemed to be the way to go, but the Aoshima kits are pretty expensive.

I lucked on this a couple of months ago after trawling for anything 1/20th. It was an obvious donor but after a bit of googling I started feeling guilty, as it seems 1980s Nikko stuff is kind of collectible. I found this french site, which filled in a lot of gaps left by the ebay ad and convinced me to bid:

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=http://nikkoevolution.fr/voitures_et_pieces/467/Nikko-Miami-4WD-Winch.html&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dnikko%2Bmiami%2Bwinch%26hl%3Den%26rls%3Dcom.microsoft:en-gb:IE-SearchBox%26prmd%3Dimvns&sa=X&ei=2xVBUOCrG6mX1AXwjIDwBg&ved=0CDUQ7gEwAw

• Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

All this talk talk of micro’s is making me jealous! another one to add to the list! :whistle:

• Scaling Like A Pro
    • ★★★★★

if your keeping the shell only, do you want to post the chassis to me :D

• Trailing And Scaling
    • ★★★★

I wasted no time getting the shell off. The fault was apparently just a missing ariel. I have plenty of spares but haven’t bothered to check.

IMG_20120907_203020.jpg

Good points:
    -It’s a pretty good moulding
    -The chrome parts and windows were mounted on clips and melted over plastic pegs. A bit of careful saving with a knife and the parts all clip on and off.
    -The bed topper is based on a real one. I guessed it was pure matchbox fantasy from the shape, but minus the chrome vents it is pretty accurate, as seen lurking in the background here:

83Truck001.jpg

Bad points:
    No interior
    windows are transparent, but so heavily smoked they may as well not be. This might be a good point if I can’t manage an interior :)
    Front and rear lights are all moulded in orange

• Trailing And Scaling
    • ★★★★

I think tony has winch envy :P I kinda like the box art so not really looking to get rid of the rest of it, sorry.

It’s been sat on the shelf while I looked around at micros and pondered dimensons. I needn’t have worried. This arrived from the states – an smc blade 4.5in extendable chassis, just the ticket:

P1010184.jpg

And this turned up from Tony on friday, after two days sat in the gpo collection office. Thanks mate, its perfect :)

P1010186.jpg

Once I got the axles mounted to the Blade chassis I realised the super soft leaf springs and massive amounts of lift from the stock mounting (12″ scale equivalent :blink: ) means the axles are going to wrap like crazy under power. It needs the lift to clear the arches so I think a set of lower links is in order :unsure:

• Scaling Like A Pro
    • ★★★★★

thats the problem with these, because they’re so light, they wrap, i tryed running it with no springs fornt and rear but it wouldnt have none of it, just out of interest whats the price of 1 of them chassis???

• Trailing And Scaling
    • ★★★★

I ordered other stuff at the same time but I think it worked out about thirty quid – and then I got stung for another £14 international handling fee. Stuff from the states always looks cheap, but by the time its posted I seem to end up paying the dollar amount in pounds, sometimes a bit more.

Anyway they’re here: CrawlerX.net

Hopefully the lower links will sort it, just waiting for some 2mm rod to show up. A more scale solution would be to deal with the mounts. I looked at flipping the ones that come with it – this would bring the axle much closer to the leafs but introduces issues with the steering links and reduced lock so I left well alone.

The losi axles are really kind of pants for a scaler but they seem to be the only thing out there. I got all excited when I came across the nano qlo but its a moa. I also found a few old threads about forthcoming micro axles from RC4WD but its all two years old and it seems they were never released :(

more pics soon, the styrene butcher strikes again ;)

• Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

RC4wd do have a pair of Micro axles :-

front

rear

Pete.

• Trailing And Scaling
    • ★★★★

Damn! Dunno how I missed those, thanks Pete. Looks like they’d need custom mounts fabbing – there’s no spare screw holes or anything. Bet they look the danglies fitted tho.

I’ll stick with the Losis for now but I sense a future project brewing …

• Trailing And Scaling
    • ★★★★

Been busy this week. They let me loose on the styrene. As you can see, I’m only allowed to play with rubber scissors :blink: Sensitive types should probably look away now.

P1010199.jpg

Also installed lower links to control the axles It seems to have stiffened the suspension up particularly at the front. Think it needs some tweaking.

P1010210.jpg

Meet the family. I found these two in poundland. They are still blissfully unaware of the brutal dismemberment about to befall them. Lights and front inner wings also added.

P1010208.jpg

The underbody might be butt ugly but it fits pretty well. It’s um, organic nature won’t really notice.

P1010216.jpg
    P1010214.jpg
    P1010219.jpg

I’ve finally discovered the grid on my cutting mat so hoping the interior will look a little neater. Can’t go much further now till the electrics arrive. I’ve got an idea for a 300mah lipo under the bed which I’m hoping will work out. The rest of the electronics should fit under the bonnet now that the styrene has given me a place to mount the servo.

• Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Mate thats gonna look wicked when B) B)

• Trailing And Scaling
    • ★★★★

Thx Bill. Seeing your 3rd one started me looking seriously at these, and then possibly the only molding ever produced of the 81-83 Yota in 1/20 pretty much fell in my lap :)

It was intended to be replica of my TF2, either by removing the topper from this or building a 1/10th copy of it for the TF2. I think I’ve finally settled on a scheme for the TF2 which I can’t replicate on this, so i’m open for suggestions. I have a bit of a thing for toppers so didn’t consider removing it too seriously :)

I’m undecided on whether to go for a colour-coded or off-white top. I’m also wondering whether to go for a beater look to make it less toy-like, something like this:
    tintremoveddriverside.jpg

… or a show-stopper as suggested by the amount of lift and oversized wheel/tyres:
    PICT0005.jpg

Obviously these are different style toppers – the first is a Trailblazer, the second is a Trekker, but you get the idea.

I could always paint it white all over, add a nacelle to the roof and put USS ENTERPRISE down the side I suppose :silly:

• Trailing And Scaling
    • ★★★★

What I definitely would like is a set of Gear Head 8Trax wheels for it. RPP Hobby seem to be the only supplier and they’re out of stock, so if anyone has a spare set gimme a shout.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.