Scale RC Forum Forum Members’ Builds Forum’s Finest Builds M548 tracked cargo truck

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 131 total)
  • Author
    Grasshopper
    • Topics 32
    • Replies 663
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Stunning work, not much else to say.. Just stunning.

Axial SCX10 Dingo D90    RC4WD TF2 Hilux     RC4WD G2 D90

ScaleAddict
    • Topics 6
    • Replies 389
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Stunning work, not much else to say.. Just stunning.

Thanks,I’m trying my best in this build. Just wait for the suspension part 🙂

One more update:

First, the cutoff swich

And then, the handles(?) to help enter the cab

Some creative liberty to make them work with the door handles

Also…painted the last 5 road wheels

Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Topics 120
    • Replies 1582
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Wow, wow and thrice wow, this is bloody epic.

Retrocosm On YouTube   Instagram   Website   Twitter   Facebook

1 user thanked author for this post.
    ScaleAddict
    • Topics 6
    • Replies 389
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

While i wait for my m548 to return from the seamstress I’m doing other stuff. One of those are taking care of the tracks. Stock, look too clean and being all black,don’t seem scale. So i tried to weather them to look metallic and worn

this is the first one, used a rust red, and 2 different grays

because the red was too “red” for rust, on the second track applied a bit of dark brown and seems better

Stock and weathered:

ScaleAddict
    • Topics 6
    • Replies 389
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

My attempt at a canvas for the bed

About the random wiring and unused holes,the hooks don’t have even spacing between them so i add a couple more holes for keep them even spaced. The eyelets are 3m and had to modify the plier to that small size. The canvas it’s not green but i’ve seen them this color on some photos.

There’s also a tarp for the hatch in the roof

ScaleAddict
    • Topics 6
    • Replies 389
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

The m548 uses torsion bars as suspension system with additional shocks on the first and last wheel

Not a m548 but you get the idea

On a m113

the traction bars rely on long rods that are fixed in one end and can twist to provide suspension. Many small cars still use that as rear axle.

After some research and failed attempts, decided to replicate the 1:1 as good as I could

Prototype:

https://youtu.be/74heCE7kXm8

These pieces are where the axles and springs are mounted

The photos are a bit confusing but the 8x 4mm rods are the pivots for each wheel and the wires are spring steel, later switched to a kind of spring blade

The advantages of this system are that can be easily adjusted in stiffness and ride height

Unfortunately, the first wheel on each side cannot be included on this system because the motors were in the way. The solution was putting a shock on the outside. Don’t look out of place as the 1:1 has one too

An funny feature it’s that, by the design of system,with torsion bars next to each other, wheels are slightly offset from one side to another. Hard to notice but the 1:1 it’s also like this

Grasshopper
    • Topics 32
    • Replies 663
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

All good stuff happening here, the canvas topper is particularly great.

Fascinating about the offset wheels, is that the same on all tracked vehicles? Kudos to your research and ability to follow it through!

Axial SCX10 Dingo D90    RC4WD TF2 Hilux     RC4WD G2 D90

ScaleAddict
    • Topics 6
    • Replies 389
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

All good stuff happening here, the canvas topper is particularly great. Fascinating about the offset wheels, is that the same on all tracked vehicles? Kudos to your research and ability to follow it through!

Thank you. The suspension was the biggest “wall” I’ve hit in this project

About the offset wheels,don’t know about the others  but in this platform it’s this way. We’re talking in a great number of vehicles because this platform it’s shared between models like the m113, m577, m730…

Don’t know what’s the exact offset on the real ones but in mine it’s 8 or 9mm,hardly noticeable

ScaleAddict
    • Topics 6
    • Replies 389
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

more:

The suspension arms. The real ones are a kind of dogbone so have to do them similar.

They are steel bar with one washer welded at each end to add that 3d look and help to round the ends. Machined a bit on the center to make it thinner. Then, filed all the edges to look a cast piece. On the holes at the ends, will be a axle for the wheel and on the other, the suspension pivot

In the end, they’ll be almost invisible. Half-hidden by the wheels and the tracks

Doesn’t show much…

ScaleAddict
    • Topics 6
    • Replies 389
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

4 arms in place

4 wheels in place

Only 4 wheels per side in that photo. The first pair of road wheels have a different suspension setup than the other ones. Settled on a simple design. A pivot bolted to the chassis where the arm rotates(ball bearings) and a shock. The 1:1 also has a shock on the first arm, assisting the torsion bar, so this it’s not unrealistic

Mock-up:

Not happy with this shock so I’ve made my one:

It’s an axial one, gone from 93mm to 62mm,53mm compressed and 71mm extended. Shorter shaft and a “cap” hidding it to look more scale. On the next post, I’ll show them mounted and a video of it working

ScaleAddict
    • Topics 6
    • Replies 389
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

More small stuff :

The rope handles exist on the 1:1 not sure on ,the fire extinguisher but seemed a nice touch

mark
    • Topics 50
    • Replies 1611
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Amazing build.

ScaleAddict
    • Topics 6
    • Replies 389
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

The bodywork is almost complete and it’s time to do the “glass”. 1mm lexan for the straight ones and for the corners, used a heat gun to “bent” the lexan into a round shape

ScaleAddict
    • Topics 6
    • Replies 389
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Related:</p>

Did an experiment of “3d cheating”  the rubber for the windows:

It’s rubber,alright:

taped to the window frame:

ScaleAddict
    • Topics 6
    • Replies 389
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

more small stuff:

Take a aluminium welding rod

Hammer it a couple times, bit a filing and sanding and voila:

what it could be?

This is my first try with 1.5mm spring wire on the suspension:

https://youtu.be/6bv256W4Y2E

Seems good but the steel don’t return to the original position. A retired machinist gave me today a couple meters of spring steel in rectangular profile instead of wire. Gonna try that out

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 131 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.