Scale RC Forum Forum Members’ Builds Forum’s Finest Builds Large Russian Truck (MAZ 535)

This topic contains 199 replies, has 34 voices, and was last updated by Pete Attryde 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 200 total)
  • Author
    Pete Attryde
    Pete Attryde
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

So besides building little turks, I have recently being playing a PC game called ‘Spintires’ which involves hauling logs around fictional bits of Siberia in various old Russian trucks. Playing this game has led to the inspiration for my next big build, a MAZ 535 8×8.

For reference this is what the MAZ looks like

maz-535-v-03_zpszdjknhs3.jpg

Oh and this is going to be a big truck when it’s done as I am looking at building it at around 1:9.5 to 1:9 scale. I have settled on this size for a couple of reasons, one so looks right with other rigs and two because of the drivetrain being a little unconventional. Now the unconventional thing about this truck and its successors are that they have full independent suspension rather than solid axles.

Whilst looking for suitable donor running gear I acquired an Axial EXO in a trade. A quick bit of maths and a measure of the EXO track width and I had a plan. Next I acquired a second chassis from a mate for a good price so now I had 4 ‘axles’ 2 steering and 2 non steering, a scale to work too :laugh:

Being a wimp, I have commissioned Dready to build the cab, as I didn’t fancy taking on all those louvers ;)

Today I laid out the ‘axles’ to get a feel for how big this is going to be :wow:

20160108_142830_zpslviwhuad.jpg

20160108_142847_zps6zoxj1y2.jpg

Wheels will be 2.2 and the tires will be Mickey Thompson 2.2 Baja Claw TTC’s as they are the largest 2.2’s I can find with a fairly scale tread. They will be a little undersized 😆 (12mm to be exact).

Not sure how fast this will progress, as I want to get both the Unimog’s up and running first.

Pete's Scale Fab Shop - Facebook  Instagram

Bill
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Jeeeezzzzz this is going to be mighty!!!!!

Awesome mate, look forward to this one!!

Tim_
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Wow! Maybe get some Mini wheels off EBay, even those might still be too small for the size of that ;)

I can’t wait to see this one, I bet it’ll be great off road too!

Neil
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Finished ;)

10517551_865269170164004_5820583859885129437_n_zps0ukiavih.jpg

not really I built this for a friend 18 months ago,
    Petes will be the 2 headlamp model and be slightly bigger.

Styrene has been ordered and i’ll get cracking next week.

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

It’s a monster :ohmy: Looks awesome though :woohoo:

outback
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Cant wait to see this ::thumpsup:: it was on my next project list ,what drive train you going for ?

steve

Pete Attryde
    Pete Attryde
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★
    outback wrote:
    Cant wait to see this ::thumpsup:: it was on my next project list ,what drive train you going for ?

steve

Steve, probably going to go for a Tamiya 3-speed (cheap and can have the gears upgraded with metal ones.) and then 3 custom made transfer cases, two 1:1 and a single one with some gear reduction and a PTO for the winch, and obviously the EXO ‘axles’

outback
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Steve, probably going to go for a Tamiya 3-speed (cheap and can have the gears upgraded with metal ones.) and then 3 custom made transfer cases, two 1:1 and a single one with some gear reduction and a PTO for the winch, and obviously the EXO ‘axles’[/quote]

Sounds good , cant wait to see your pto winch (wonder where that idea came from 😆 )

Steve

Scoobysport
    • Scaling Like A Pro
    • ★★★★★

i was begining to wonder what the EXO axles where going to be for Pete. ::thumpsup:: ::thumpsup:: ::thumpsup:: ::thumpsup:: i like it :jawdrop:

Al murray
    Al murray
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

huge amount of space inside that cab area to hide things too.. looks like an interesting project

Al..

Pete Attryde
    Pete Attryde
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★
    Scoobysport wrote:
    i was begining to wonder what the EXO axles where going to be for Pete. ::thumpsup:: ::thumpsup:: ::thumpsup:: ::thumpsup:: i like it :jawdrop:

Yeah, well there had to be a use for EXO axles that was better than the EXO :blink: .

Al murray wrote:
    huge amount of space inside that cab area to hide things too.. looks like an interesting project

Al..

Yep loads of room, although the engine (a fairly large V12 diesel lives in the back of the cab). Might have to put a sound module in this one.

This diagram shows how the 1:1 works, (sorry for the colors but I didn’t draw it)

maz-537_17_zpsq7isr8wg.jpg

As you can see the inputs for the axle pairs face each other and have a seperate t/box for each pair and a 3rd t/box from the 3 speed gearbox to drive the inputs to the axle t/boxes.

So, I am intending to use a Tamiya 3 speed and then make the three t/boxes myself. The 2 axle ones will be of a 1:1 ratio, and the center one will have some gear reduction (not decided how much yet) and if I can figure how to make it work correctly a PTO to drive a large winch. The diffs in the EXO axles can be flipped, which takes care of the direction of rotation being wrong in 2 of the axles, which should add up to a pretty good replica of the 1:1 drivetrain.

Tim_
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

The transfer box with the ratio reduction that sits between the Tamiya three speed and the two axle 1:1 transfer boxes could be one of the selectable transfer box types (ie 2wd and 4wd) and use the take off of one of them for the PTO winch.

You may have to make the transfer box “upside down” so you actually drive the 2wd output (and going to 4wd ensues the PTO) and swap the ratios over but it could be done.

Do you want the PTO to work with the wheels or be completely separate or switchable?

Pete Attryde
    Pete Attryde
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★
    Tim_ wrote:
    The transfer box with the ratio reduction that sits between the Tamiya three speed and the two axle 1:1 transfer boxes could be one of the selectable transfer box types (ie 2wd and 4wd) and use the take off of one of them for the PTO winch.

You may have to make the transfer box “upside down” so you actually drive the 2wd output (and going to 4wd ensues the PTO) and swap the ratios over but it could be done.

Do you want the PTO to work with the wheels or be completely separate or switchable?

That’s kind of the plan Tim, The take off on the 1:1 comes off the top of the centre transfer case, so I think I will make a way to disengage the winch drive at the winch end (will act as a freespool) and leave the drive shaft spinning all the time, then come up with a system that allows the main drive to the axles to be disengaged and locked (kind of like a dig but locking all 4 axles) so that none of the wheels can turn for recovery of others, or disengaged and allow the axles to free wheel (to aid self recovery). If I can get this to work it will also allow drive assisted winching (as long as I can get the gearing of the winch right)

outback
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Pete take a look at my scamel explorer thread , that had a pto on it using a dig and home made dissconnect section , its currently burrried in the shed awaiting house move ::doh::

Steve

Pete Attryde
    Pete Attryde
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★
    outback wrote:
    Pete take a look at my scamel explorer thread , that had a pto on it using a dig and home made dissconnect section , its currently burrried in the shed awaiting house move ::doh::

Steve

Will do Steve, I thought I remembered you doing similar.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 200 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.