Scale RC Forum Forum Members’ Builds Forum’s Finest Builds Landrover Defender Autobiography

This topic contains 47 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by Tim_ 10 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 48 total)
  • Author

Tim_
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Thanks everyone! :cheers:

Tim_
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★
    Al murray wrote:
    love it Tim, what colour did you use in the end? looks close to the one I did but a lot better finished.. only difference is I went for the burgandy rear door than the black on yours.. this is gonna look great

Al..

Thanks Al! The 1:1 is Santorini black and Firenze red, I wanted to get them made but Halfords have stopped their in shop service and you have to order from a central place now. I was looking at £150ish to get the paint made, which I was rather upset about, so I decided to trawl through the Tamiya range and look at painted hard bodies. I settled for TS14 (black), TS39 (red) and TS82 (rubber) in the end.

Tim_
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Another update. Apologies for anyone still using dial up internet ::yikes

I cracked on with the exterior, interior and final assembly including hunting for the right parts to match the 1:1. I’ve had single items come from as far as the states and China but I wanted it to be right.

I’ve taken pictures of where it’s at right now, hope you enjoy! lol

IMG_4526.jpg

IMG_4529.jpg

IMG_4527.jpg

IMG_4530.jpg

Yes I went for a cream interior as that matches the first red Autobiography I saw, which was the original inspiration for this build.

IMG_4533.jpg

IMG_4536.jpg

IMG_4538.jpg

IMG_4539.jpg

IMG_4542.jpg

IMG_4537.jpg

IMG_4543.jpg

IMG_4548.jpg

IMG_4551.jpg

IMG_4556.jpg

IMG_4557.jpg

IMG_4560.jpg

IMG_4564.jpg

IMG_4566.jpg

IMG_4567.jpg

IMG_4569.jpg

The angel eye lights don’t show up very well but I’ve gone for blue ones, main headlights are white.

IMG_4571.jpg

IMG_4573.jpg

IMG_4574.jpg

IMG_4575.jpg

IMG_4578.jpg

IMG_4579.jpg

IMG_4581.jpg

I’m really chuffed with how well this has come out, even if it has taken a year to get there with lots of extra details being added. This build hasn’t just sat on a shelf either, I’ve got a woodsman trailer for it and it’s been out and about on a bit of a garden course I’ve put together with some old wood that wasn’t doing much. It’s had a number of packs out through it now and it’s been great, no issues so far. I keep thinking about putting some CVD’s in it but then what’s a Defender with steering lock? I’m also looking to buy an exhaust for it and detail parts for under the bonnet have been arriving but I’ll probably tackle that lot over the winter. I’m hoping to get some photos out in the snow with it too.

And after all that, I think the next build will be an off the shelf kit!

Al murray
    Al murray
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

now that is rather smart.. came out excellent.. for a Land Rover :silly: :-)

Al..

Dam
    Dam
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

That looks killer Tim ::cool

Maybe it needs to be put in the forums finest ::eek

tuk183
    • Looking For Mud

WOW!!!! that’s some tidy workmanship.

I bet you’re very pleased it looks great

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

That is a beauty, superbly executed and I really like the colour scheme. ::thumb::

Tim_
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Thanks everyone! I’ve enjoyed driving this kit around – so much so I’ve not taken many pictures – and I’ve got an idea for another Defender or two… or three… now ::eek

If anything changes I’ll update the thread, but I’m now content with where this has finished up ::cool

Thanks again everyone ::thumb::

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Man I dislike Land Rovers ::rolleye However :-) One of the gripes I have with the Defender is that they stuck the Discovery dash in it. The Defender is a box, for crying out loud, so whoever thought a curved dash would work in there was smoking underpants or something.

And thus – love seeing the old square dashboard in there ::thumb:: :cheers: The other details I like are the ride height, the skid plate in front and that insanely epic paint job :worthy:

I’d actually build me one like this ::eek

Tim_
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Thanks very much!

Have you seen the slate grey colour that was also offered? It would make a perfect alternative ;-)

6d667167c0d22424187a3d1fa2c4a444.jpg

mark
    mark
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

This is a stunning example of a d90. It really sticks out from the crowd of all the others.

Pete Attryde
    Pete Attryde
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★
    mark wrote:
    This is a stunning example of a d90. It really sticks out from the crowd of all the others.

Which is quite some praise coming from you ::lolz

It is indeed a very fine example of a D90 and as such I shall hearby move it to a new section ::thumb::

Pete's Scale Fab Shop - Facebook  Instagram

grubbybuz
    grubbybuz
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Wowzers er yeah well deserved ::cool Thats a very posh looking Land Rover,superbly executed Tim ::cool
    It doesn’t really look like its going to be doing much off-roading though ::yikes

Tim_
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★
    Pete Attryde wrote:
    mark wrote:

Which is quite some praise coming from you ::lolz

It is indeed a very fine example of a D90 and as such I shall hearby move it to a new section ::thumb::

Whoop whoop ::cool Thanks very much!

Tim_
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★
    grubbybuz wrote:
    Wowzers er yeah well deserved ::cool Thats a very posh looking Land Rover,superbly executed Tim ::cool
    It doesn’t really look like its going to be doing much off-roading though ::yikes

It already has a scratched set of links and tyres that have picked up something smellier than mud ::yikes

It might not be getting a massive amount of off road bashing but it’s already far removed from a shelf queen.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.