Scale RC Forum Forum Members’ Builds Forum’s Finest Builds Landrover Defender Autobiography

This topic contains 47 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by Tim_ 10 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)
  • Author

Tim_
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I hate Defenders, but there’s always an exception to the rule isn’t there? I’ve worked on the Defender in a capacity that kept it being built for longer and I was involved in the run out models that were produced. When a Tower Hobbies sale on the RC4WD kit came up about 20 months ago I seized the opportunity to build something I’d both worked on and something that caught my eye enough to become the exception to the rule.

I first saw the Autobiography under the lamps of the inspection bay having just been hand polished ready for a car show, the Autobiography hadn’t been revealed yet but there it was and to me, it was the best looking Defender this side of a Bowler I’d ever seen. The car was in Santorini Black and Firenze Red and that to me was the exception to the rule.

So here is what I am aiming for;

IMG_0289.jpg

IMG_0290.jpg

IMG_0291.jpg

IMG_0292.jpg

IMG_0293.jpg

IMG_0294.jpg

IMG_0295.jpg

And this is what I started with

IMG_7997.jpg

Stay tuned for more soon! ::thumb::

Pete Attryde
    Pete Attryde
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Good to see you building again Tim. Looks a nice choice for inspiration if a little to shiney for me.

Pete's Scale Fab Shop - Facebook  Instagram

Tim_
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Thanks Pete ::cool And yes, I’m very much aware this is a long way from where a lot of Defenders are so it’ll be interesting to see how divided people get over the style of this.

Tim_
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

A small update just to show how the build started. I know we’ve all seen these kits built before so these pictures just prove I managed it. They also show the RC4WD punisher super scale propshafts and CCHand mud flaps.

You’ll notice as the build progresses from here I keep changing things and that’s because I keep seeing areas where I can add more and more detail. I started this just over a year ago straight after the Unimog build thinking it would be nice to do a straight forward kit build and well, due to the extra details, that never happened.

Anyway. On to the pictures!

IMG_7999.jpg

IMG_7998.jpg

IMG_8001.jpg

IMG_8002.jpg

IMG_8004.jpg

IMG_8005.jpg

IMG_8007.jpg

IMG_8008.jpg

IMG_8017.jpg

IMG_8018.jpg

IMG_8020.jpg

Thanks for looking. More again soon!

Geoff
    Geoff
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

A Great start, nice to see a new Land Rover Build. ::thumb:: :popanddrink

Geoff in London    

RCWTF OFFICIAL REDCAT GEN 7 DRIVER 

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Cool start indeed. Are you going to lower the body to match your reference pictures?

igbandy
    igbandy
    • Scaling Like A Pro
    • ★★★★★

Nice idea, at least you aren’t going for a Kahn kit on it. I personally loathe the Kahn Rovers :censored:

Al murray
    Al murray
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Im in the same boat when it comes to landys.. usually travelling in one at least 2-3 times a week as my boss is a huge landy perv..

However I did get the job of painting up a chinese body for a mate recently and guess which scheme I picked?

hopefully these will show up but a little dark (no more Photobucket account) https://www.facebook.com/alan.murray.7393/posts/2213091952040780

Pete Attryde
    Pete Attryde
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★
    Al murray wrote:
    Im in the same boat when it comes to landys.. usually travelling in one at least 2-3 times a week as my boss is a huge landy perv..

However I did get the job of painting up a chinese body for a mate recently and guess which scheme I picked?

hopefully these will show up but a little dark (no more Photobucket account) https://www.facebook.com/alan.murray.7393/posts/2213091952040780

The link doesn’t appear to be working Al.

Pete's Scale Fab Shop - Facebook  Instagram

Tim_
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★
    igbandy wrote:
    Nice idea, at least you aren’t going for a Kahn kit on it. I personally loathe the Kahn Rovers :censored:

They’re terrible looking cars in my opinion, I just look at the, and think “why?!”.

Tim_
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I’d been over to the states for a holiday last year and bought a load of RC4WD bits which I’ve used in this build. Unfortunately you can’t get the wheels in 1.55 size else I’d have lowered the body further, so I’ve lowered it as far as it will go on the suspension. If I go lower I’ll get the wheels catching on the body and there’s isn’t much steering lock on these anyway so I’ve had to compromise on this aspect. You’ll see as the build goes on how it works out and it’s not too bad.

One of the things I swapped was the rear bumper, I wanted a trailer to go with this and SVO can do different bumpers on the 1:1’s so this is what I decided to go for

IMG_8111.jpg

IMG_8110.jpg

IMG_8112.jpg

IMG_8113.jpg

I love the detail on this bumper but I found the mud flaps a bit of a pig to re-mount. Seemed to be a common theme with buying bits for this kit that then never fitted without needing some kind of modification.

Thanks again and more on the way!

Tim_
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

This update is largely around the electrics and some of the big body changes. I decided to stick with what I knew from the Unimog build because it’s not broken and therefore I’m not fixing it, so to speak.

I’ve gone with the same ESC and servo; Axial AE-5 waterproof and Savox 20kg waterproof, 3S battery power, Castle BEC & Spektrum RX in a balloon, but no additional channels on this build. I was determined to hide as much of the wiring as possible so even the power feed to the front headlights was put in from the outset. I also painted and fitted inner wheel arches.

IMG_3544.jpg

IMG_3546.jpg

You can see from this one how I’ve squirrelled it all away;

IMG_3547.jpg

Then came the body changes. And I admit I did check the cost of a new body shell first, but I committed to doing an opening bonnet and fitting the power bulge that’s on the later Defenders. This is what I cut away

IMG_3550.jpg

Better shot of the wheels, I like these a lot on a scale build. Ignore the mud flap, it was only temporary fitted while I figured out what needed trimming on the flap to work with the side steps. This is also the cable side, so I was quite happy it was hidden at this point.

IMG_3549.jpg

This is trial fitting the CCHand bonnet to work out where the hinges need to be

IMG_3553.jpg

And how tidy the under bonnet area is going to be, also checking nothing is going to be in the way of the bonnet mechanism.

IMG_3551.jpg

And back together again

IMG_3554.jpg

More soon!

Dam
    Dam
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

It’s so nice to see a truck being built, very nice. ;popcorn;

Grasshopper
    Grasshopper
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I’m just seeing blank spaces where the photos should be…?? Anyone else?

Every other thread/post displays the pics fine and I’m just viewing on a standard PC so no phone/tablet incompatibility issues. Very strange. :confused:

Axial SCX10 Dingo    RC4WD TF2 Hilux     RC4WD G2 D90     WPL C14

Tim_
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Err, working fine from an iPhone and iPad here.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.