Scale RC Forum Forum Members’ Builds Off-Road builds Just my Dad's Gelande 2 D90

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    toyolien
      • Scale Off Road Pro
      • ★★★★★★

Since the early days of comp crawling, I’ve always attended comps with my dad. We built identical Newbright Jeep JK’s back in 2012 and since he’s just finished a Tamiya Knight Hauler I suggested he should get rid of his SCX10, and get a D90. So that’s what he did.

He did all the work on the chassis, axles and transmission and then handed it over to me for a little body modification and a drop of steel work.

So, this won’t really be a ‘build thread’ per se, more of a plethora of photos showing what I’ve been up to. I’ll probably just end the build with a few shots once he’s completed the painting etc. Again, we’re hoping to get this ready, as well as my Flatbed Hilux, for the G6 in May.

He decided that he wanted a flat back truck cab. Not a fan of the usual rounded cab windows, so I got my razor saw out. Excuse the first set of pics. I only had my phone in the garage that night…

I used a strip of the left over roof as a brace for the cab back as it perfectly matched the profile.

Made up a simple rear cage. Not sure on battery placement yet, but it’ll probably go in the rear bed behind the roll cage.

And, tonight I finished off the front part of the cage and the roof supports.

That’s all for now folks. More coming soon…

Yuuta83
        • Hitting The Trail
        • ★★★

Now thats some super clean body and tube work right they… wish I had a son, that would build me a super sweet D90

Current Rig ~ Rc4wd G2 FJ40 Cruiser
        1/10 Scale Garage

M and M
          • Scaling Like A Pro
          • ★★★★★

Stunning matal work, as always. The positioning of the bends…amazing! I’d love to know how you do that, it would save my scrap box growing at an alarming rate. Any tips?

toyolien
            • Scale Off Road Pro
            • ★★★★★★

Now thats some super clean body and tube work right they… wish I had a son, that would build me a super sweet D90

Thank you. My dad’s done loads for me over the years, so I was happy to help. Plus, it’s a lot of fun.

Stunning matal work, as always. The positioning of the bends…amazing! I’d love to know how you do that, it would save my scrap box growing at an alarming rate. Any tips?

Thanks, much appreciated. I don’t really have an answer to your question. The one thing I still can’t get my head around is marking where to bend and getting them to come out right. I do still mark the bends but now do one, and then constantly re-measure and check again and again. Although I’ve got a lot better, I still do end up with some scrap pieces. Then throw into the mix multiple bends and angled bends etc, it gets me scratching my head a lot.

It doesn’t help that I seem to be a perfectionist. If something is 1mm out, then I look at that as 10mm in 1:1 scale, and that just won’t do!

In terms of getting tight bends, I’ve started using something like a file (see below) to force the tube tight against the bearing as i’m bending it. I also use a bearing that’s exactly the same height as the tube with a washer on to try to stop the tube from ‘squashing’ as it bends. I have posted some pics of my benders on my Flatbed Hilux thread if you want to see those.

(https://scalerc.org.uk/forum/topic/just-a-tf2-hilux-flatbed/#post-96252)

Here’s what I mean about the file.

Hope that helps a bit.

M and M
              • Scaling Like A Pro
              • ★★★★★

Thanks for the reply,and insight into your methods. I must make a bender similar to yours, but I keep saying I may not do any more, then I do! Maybe to be fair and not hijack this fascinating build I should start another thread, I have so many questions on this suject, and so many people may have input. Yes, thats what I’ll do.

toyolien
                • Scale Off Road Pro
                • ★★★★★★

Thanks for the reply,and insight into your methods. I must make a bender similar to yours, but I keep saying I may not do any more, then I do! Maybe to be fair and not hijack this fascinating build I should start another thread, I have so many questions on this suject, and so many people may have input. Yes, thats what I’ll do.

Definitely start a thread with all your questions. I’ll happily help where i can. ?

toyolien
                  • Scale Off Road Pro
                  • ★★★★★★

Managed to get a little more done on the D90. I brazed on a spare wheel mount to the roll cage, then added a battery/tool box in front of it. I Added some diamond plate styrene on the lid. I’m unsure whether to hinge it or hold the lid on with magnets, or some other method yet.

And, I also fab’d up some simple sliders this evening. Pretty happy with how they turned out.

That’s where i’m up to for now…

toyolien
                    • Scale Off Road Pro
                    • ★★★★★★

Only a small update on the D90. I had a PM asking what I use to hold the pieces to be brazed in the right place. Well, the answer is; what ever I can find. Sometimes I’ll mount one piece in the vice and the other piece in some mole grips held in place using a welders right angle magnet, and some times (like below) I’ll make something out of wood to hold the pieces in the right place. It really all depends on the size, shape and where they are to be brazed. I hope that helps.

The only update on this at the moment is that I’ve finally finished the cage work.

Thanks for looking. I’ll be moving on to finishing off the body work, and then the paint in the next couple of weeks.

jimbo_wa
                      • Scale Off Road Pro
                      • ★★★★★★

Probably best to give up work now and just make cages/scale garages until you’re a millionaire!

They are Works. Of. Art.

Keep the photos coming!

Grasshopper
                        • Scale Off Road Pro
                        • ★★★★★★

Love that cage work and also the hints and tips on how you accomplish it, not that I have the bare necessary skills or tools but it’s very interesting!

Axial SCX10 Dingo D90    RC4WD TF2 Hilux     RC4WD G2 D90    Element Enduro D90

toyolien
                          • Scale Off Road Pro
                          • ★★★★★★

Probably best to give up work now and just make cages/scale garages until you’re a millionaire! They are Works. Of. Art. Keep the photos coming!

Thank you very much. I do enjoy it more than my job I think but the problem is I’m a perfectionist (there, I said it), so I don’t think I’d make much money at it. But it would be nice to do it all day, I think. Maybe I should do the lottery… Imagine a scale building workshop, on the grounds of a scale course and out door diorama. Mmmhhh…

Love that cage work and also the hints and tips on how you accomplish it, not that I have the bare necessary skills or tools but it’s very interesting!

Thank you. These two builds I’m working on are really pushing me to the ends of my ability in terms of metal work. I have the upmost admiration for people that build complex full size roll cages!!

toyolien
                            • Scale Off Road Pro
                            • ★★★★★★

Bodywork done. Metal work done. Electrics done. Wheels and tires done. Battery box done (bar the catch). It runs, and it works well. Just a couple more little jobs to finish then comes the paint.

Here it is.

Thanks for taking a look.

Pete
                              • Scale Off Road Pro
                              • ★★★★★★

Very very nice. The cage looks fantastic. I shall look forward to seeing it in paint.

Pete's Scale Fab Shop - Facebook  Instagram

Sysop
                              Retrocosm
                                • Scale Off Road Pro
                                • ★★★★★★

It looks fantastic now, with a lick of paint it’s going to be gorgeous.  I do envy you chaps with your metalwork skills!

Retrocosm On YouTube   Instagram   Website   Twitter   Facebook

toyolien
                                  • Scale Off Road Pro
                                  • ★★★★★★

Very very nice. The cage looks fantastic. I shall look forward to seeing it in paint.

Thanks very much Pete. Almost finished the painting now. Pics coming.

It looks fantastic now, with a lick of paint it’s going to be gorgeous. I do envy you chaps with your metalwork skills!

Thank you. Metal work has to be my favorite part of a build.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.