Scale RC Forum Forum Members’ Builds Forum’s Finest Builds Just a TF2 Hilux Flatbed

This topic contains 83 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by toyolien 6 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 84 total)
  • Author
    Grasshopper
    Grasshopper
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Top notch bending and benders

Axial SCX10 Dingo    RC4WD TF2 Hilux     RC4WD G2 D90     WPL C14

mark
    mark
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Thanks. Wow, I made a bender but it’s terrible compared to those.

toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Thanks Mark. They work ok. My trouble is trying to accurately calculate exactly where to mark for the bends. Most of the time it just ends up measuring by eye!

mark
    mark
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Lady Luck and spare metal for me. I have days of brilliance and it all works or I go back to B&Q

toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Body work is not really my thing, but I thought I’d better have a go at filling in the 2 bolts holes in the cab that the rear bed attaches to. So, I decided to use a few pieces of rc4wd plastic and a steel punch to punch a few circles out. I MEK’d these into place and set about sanding and filing. I’m not too happy with the results, but I think I’ll get away with it once it’s painted. We’ll see though…

Next up was to start the rear flatbed. I have been thinking about how I wanted it to look for a few weeks now, and although I have an idea in my mind, it may deviate as I progress. I started by fixing the rear hoop mount to the chassis.

All my previous metal work I’ve done as I went along. But, this time, I thought I would be a little more prepared and actually draw out the shape I wanted first. This made making the bends in the correct place much, much easier. I used a washer the same size as the bearing to mark out exactly where I needed to line up the bends on my bender, and it worked out great.

The next part was the rear part of the bed. This involved plenty of head scratching as the bends and notches were kind of compounded.

This is where I’m up to with it now. The main part is done. I now need to add the rear mounts, and then the detailed tube work etc… Apologies for so many pics. I do seem to get carried away with the camera.

Grasshopper
    Grasshopper
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Metal work is amazing as usual. Great work on the body too, especially those weird air vent things behind the door handles. The wheel tyre combo looks great on there too. Damn you 😀

Axial SCX10 Dingo    RC4WD TF2 Hilux     RC4WD G2 D90     WPL C14

toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Metal work is amazing as usual. Great work on the body too, especially those weird air vent things behind the door handles. The wheel tyre combo looks great on there too. Damn you ?

Thank you Mr. Hopper. I’m not that pleaed with the hole filling but I think trying to do it again will only make it worse. These wheels are borrowed from by blue Hilux but they are lovely.

Al murray
    Al murray
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Metal work is amazing as usual. Great work on the body too, especially those weird air vent things behind the door handles. The wheel tyre combo looks great on there too. Damn you ?

Thank you Mr. Hopper. I’m not that pleaed with the hole filling but I think trying to do it again will only make it worse. These wheels are borrowed from by blue Hilux but they are lovely.

toyolien, have you tried plastic welding in the holes? you should be able to get better adhesion and be able to build it up easier for sanding back?

Al..

toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I kind of did that with the rc4wd abs. Melted a piece in some mek and bodged it in. But i found cutting a perfect circle gave a neater finish. Especially on the trickier upper hole.

M and M
    • Trailing And Scaling
    • ★★★★

Impeccable tube work, as always, very impressed! That tip on positioning the bends…thats what I needed, been bugging me for months, so obvious when someone else shows you. It should save me loads of waste, thankyou. If I could ask, my supply of straight tube has disappeared, any suppliers you know of ? All I can find at the moment sell either coiled or very long lengths.

toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Thanks very much. Glad i can be of some help. The guy i usually use for tube is on ebay but he doesn’t always have it in stock. So this ebay number: 253136715957

He has some at the moment .

Pete Attryde
    Pete Attryde
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Impeccable tube work, as always, very impressed! That tip on positioning the bends…thats what I needed, been bugging me for months, so obvious when someone else shows you. It should save me loads of waste, thankyou. If I could ask, my supply of straight tube has disappeared, any suppliers you know of ? All I can find at the moment sell either coiled or very long lengths.

I use Airlink Compressors for my tube, it’s Bundy Tube (Steel with coating) it only comes in 3.3m lengths I usually use 3/16″ tube , Click Me

Pete's Scale Fab Shop - Facebook  Instagram

toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I made a little bit more progress on the flatbed this evening. It’s now at a stage where I’m beginning to see how it will actually look. I’m pretty pleased. I still need to add the mounts for the bed floor/base, and maybe some sort of bumper to house the rear lights, but that may be a separate piece that fixes to the chassis rather than the flatbed.

I’m undecided whether to add 2 stays/supports from the top corners of the roll bar to the top of the bed sides. I may have a look at that next week. I need to address my garage/wife time balance for the next few days…

Also, I am completely undecided on a colour for the body. Any thoughts?

Anyway, here’s a few more pics of where I am up to now.

Thanks for looking.

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Absolutely stunning work again chap!  I love the stance on this.  I think it would look equally good with or without the additional supports.  It’s not crying out for them, on the other hand if you were to imagine it 1:1 it would probably need them for sufficient rigidity.

toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Absolutely stunning work again chap! I love the stance on this. I think it would look equally good with or without the additional supports. It’s not crying out for them, on the other hand if you were to imagine it 1:1 it would probably need them for sufficient rigidity.

Thank you. That’s my thinking too. I’ll leave it without the supports for now until I’ve got more done, and then decide.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 84 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.