Scale RC Forum Forum Members’ Builds Off-Road builds Just a Power Wagon for some Fun!

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Retrocosm 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

As much as I love my 2 Hilux builds, I miss a really capable truck. So, when Axial announced their builders kit, I decided to build up a Class 2 truck. The premise of this build is 1) Capable, and 2) Simple.

Having looked at a lot of build threads on forums and Instagram I decided to go for a Proline Power Wagon body. I think I’m going to paint it inside and out, but more on that later in the build.

I went with some SSD Pro44 axles, and I have a spare GCM scale transmission so decided to use that for 2 reasons. 1) to keep things low so I can get a simple interior in, and 2) to get overdrive to the front axle.

Here’s how the truck looks loosely assembled.

So, I set to work on a simple rear cage.

That’s where I’m up to so far. Next up will probably be some sort of simple front bumper. I’m going to add a fairlead just in case I want to add a servo winch at a later date.

M and M
    • Scaling Like A Pro
    • ★★★★★

Loving the concept and great metal work as always! RC nerds have excellent quality interior stuff for the Powerwagon

Although polishing the instrument glass IS a bind!

(you can just make it out on the 1500 grade paper)

I just made a simple bench seat with balsa attached to the back of the cab..and a couple of tool boxes to hide the transmission.

Looking forward to more of this.

Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Serious envy here, this is exactly the sort of build I’d envisioned but don’t have the skills to execute. It’s going to be a superb performer as well with that combinations of axles and overdrive via the LRT2.

So looking forward to seeing this come together.

toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Loving the concept and great metal work as always! RC nerds have excellent quality interior stuff for the Powerwagon  Although polishing the instrument glass IS a bind!  (you can just make it out on the 1500 grade paper) I just made a simple bench seat with balsa attached to the back of the cab..and a couple of tool boxes to hide the transmission.  Looking forward to more of this.

Thank you. I have looked at the RCNerd stuff, and as great as it looks, by the time i’d added the stuff i wanted to the basket on Shapeways, it came to nearly £90! So, i’ll probably just fab up a simple interior, as my intention with this truck is on performance. We’ll see when i get to that part i guess.

Serious envy here, this is exactly the sort of build I’d envisioned but don’t have the skills to execute. It’s going to be a superb performer as well with that combinations of axles and overdrive via the LRT2. So looking forward to seeing this come together.

Thanks Charlie. I’m hoping it will perform well. My friend has just bought a TRX4, so as long as it keeps with that i’ll be happy…

toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I’ve spent the last few evenings getting the chassis finished. I installed the GCM Scale Transmission, driveshafts and SSD axle weights. I also stripped and rebuilt the Proline shocks.

I discovered that I needed to modify the lower bar on the cage hoop as at full compression it just fouled the driveshaft. Now, I know that it’ll probably never compress both shocks together, but I just like things to be right, so I chopped it up a little.

I’d decided that the front part of the cab would be mounted with velcro, which was easy enough to do. However, the rear part was causing me a little more of a headache. I didn’t want long posts to the roof as that would probably end up fouling the interior. So, after much deliberation I can up with this.

It works great, is easy to put the body in place and keeps the body tight. The green fuel tubing is just for the mock up. I’ll replace it with black on the final assembly.

And lastly, I’ve made a start on the front bumper. I think I’m going to go for a simple looking stinger with a fairlead just in case I decide to add a servo winch at some point in the future.

Next up will be the final part of the front bumper, once I’ve decided what it’ll be. Thanks for looking.

Davy Crockett
    Davy Crockett
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Incredible Neil!

Your skills are not of this earth! 😀 😀 😀

Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Good enough to eat, or something.  You’ll have no problem beating the TRX-4’s with this, they seem to spend most of their time on their roofs, when the electronics are working.

toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I’ve had a complete change of heart with this build. After driving my TRX4 and being so impressed with how capable it is, I decided to move the Power Wagon on to a TRX4.

For now, the Ford F-100 body is awaiting another TRX4, and with the UK G6 looming I’m using the chassis from the Ford.

The premise of the original Power Wagon build was to be as capable as possible, while still being a great trail truck. As I was under a tight time schedule for the G6, and this was a quick build, the pics move along fairly fast.

First job was to cut some more off the chassis rails to further improve the departure angle.

Trim the body and work out the look I wanted.

Rear chassis trimmed, and shock brace added.

I wanted to avoid using body clips, but the rear was awkward to mount. So, I used some clips, then hid them in a tool box.

I’m not a big fan of heavily weathered trucks, but I wanted this to look like the Cab had been used, but that a new hood and rear bed had been fitted. So I did a small amount of weathering on the cab only (my first attempt, so go easy…)

Playing with some ideas for the naked space on the rear bed. Don’t think the cooler suits this truck.though.

I hate wires showing through the wheel wells so I made some inner fenders using some RC4WD lexan fenders for the 4Runner. Quite a lot of trimming needed, but managed to get them to look quite good.

And here it is, all ready for the G6 this weekend.

I made some hidden sliders using some 8mm Delrin rod. I didn’t want big sliders sticking out, so I’m hoping these will protect the bottom of the body as well as sliding well on the rocks.

And lastly, I added a few rock lights.

That’s all for now. Unfortunately time ran out on me before I could build an interior, so that will be after the G6 now. I’m also going to braze up a more appropriate from bumper (so this can go back on the Ford), as well as adding a servo winch.

A quick test this evening was reassuring. This truck is very capable. More pics to come from the G6.

Thanks for looking, as usual.

M and M
    • Scaling Like A Pro
    • ★★★★★

Loving this..good luck at G6.

Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Looks fantastic fella, good luck at the weekend, it looks like it should go anywhere you point it.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.