Scale RC Forum Forum Members’ Builds Off-Road builds Just a Bobbed Hilux for FUN!

This topic contains 112 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by toyolien 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 113 total)
  • Author
    Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Lovely clean job on the bob, what glue did you use to put it back together?

toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★
    damohick wrote:
    I have to agree … great colour choice

Thanks Damo ::thumb::

Retrocosm wrote:
    Lovely clean job on the bob, what glue did you use to put it back together?

Thank you. I found that i could only get a strong enough bond by gluing the same body material to itself. I didn’t have good results trying to bond styrene to the rc4wd material. So, i used MEK to bond the pieces (after i trimmed them to fit) i cut out of the bed back on to the bed. They gave me the perfect shape also. I bonded the pieces to the bed first and lef over night clamped up, then i slid on the tailgate and again left that over night.
    Also, using the ribbed piece to join the bed allowed me to flow the MEK into all the ridges creating a stronger bond.

Hope that helps.

Here’s a couple of pics i just took to show you.

c6wd4Gh.jpg

c7gjIYE.jpg

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Thanks Neil, that is such a lovely clean job!

toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★
    Retrocosm wrote:
    Thanks Neil, that is such a lovely clean job!

Thank you. ::thumb::

I’ve finally finished painting and detailing the body. Apart from soldering up the lights, and the odd decal i’m calling the body done. I can see the end of the build in sight now. I’m hoping to finish it up next week and take it out for it’s maiden voyage.

Here’s how the final paint job looks. It’s not perfect, but i’m happy.

gAmvqnT.jpg

OjlqALU.jpg

bkqZGO1.jpg

aoKwpAK.jpg

tZ5mCia.jpg

QVEHDf6.jpg

cQgqHRs.jpg

Thanks again for looking.

Grasshopper
    Grasshopper
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Crikey, you won’t lose that in a crowd! Awesome job. I reckon black handles throughout and black runner lines down the side would look cool to tie it all up but that’s just my humble opinion. Like how you’ve painted the joining part between the bed and cab black to make it look like a separate bed (as it should be)

Surprised you haven’t chopped the side windows out so you can see all your hard work inside :-)

How comes it’s not on the chassis too? We want to see it complete!

Axial SCX10 Dingo D90    RC4WD TF2 Hilux     RC4WD G2 D90

toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★
    Grasshopper wrote:
    Crikey, you won’t lose that in a crowd! Awesome job. I reckon black handles throughout and black runner lines down the side would look cool to tie it all up but that’s just my humble opinion. Like how you’ve painted the joining part between the bed and cab black to make it look like a separate bed (as it should be)

Surprised you haven’t chopped the side windows out so you can see all your hard work inside :-)

How comes it’s not on the chassis too? We want to see it complete!

Thank you! I did think about black handles, but felt the chrome added a bit of contrast. I got the idea of painting the joint from one of Bills builds i think. It looks better i’d say.

The side windows will be chopped down tonight. I had toyed with the idea of cutting them as though they were half down, but i’m just going to have them fully open.

I still need to do a few bits to the chassis, so it’ll be fitted soon. ::thumb::

toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Small update:

So, i have spent the spare time i’ve had over the last couple of weeks finishing off wiring the lights, detailing the interior, and fitting the inner wells, and electrics for the final time (hopefully). Now, the lights work, the winch works, the esc is programmed, and everything works fine. I still need to give it a proper run to figure out whether the shocks need any fettling.

Someone asked me where i got the driver. Well, the body is a figure from Kick Ass 2 Series 1, and the head is obviously a Tamiya one. I did have to chop an inch out of his torso to get him to fit correctly, but he’s ok now.

The last decision i need to make is on tires. I have some 1.55 Rock Stompers, some 1.55 Growlers and some 1.9 PBX A/T’s. I’m torn between going with either what will work the best, OR what looks the best. So, hopefully next week i can finally post up some completed pics. It’s been a reasonably long build process, but i have enjoyed every minute and can’t wait to get it dirty!

View of the winch bumper all mounted.

lQzjwwQ.jpg

And, how the finished interior now looks.

3gwnejD.jpg

dAsGyxK.jpg

As always, thanks for looking.

toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I’ve mounted up the 1.55 Growlers and i’m really happy with the look! All that’s left to do now is to fit the scale hubs and it’s ready for action. When i started this build several months ago, i had a reasonable idea of how i wanted it to look. And, i think I’ve stuck to my plans fairly well. I’ve had to change a few things, like the battery location, how the dash is mounted and the rear shock location etc, as i went along, but it’s all come together nicely.

Now it’s time to go and get it dirty! But, before that happens, i thought i’d share a few final photos. (A LOT of photos).

YuTf5YQ.jpg

YRr1eBv.jpg

fz7BhRR.jpg

HqNn3rv.jpg

PgHJgkx.jpg

P6L3jyn.jpg

OZHsKb0.jpg

Au5BrBa.jpg

JqmmpVN.jpg

cvd7JZk.jpg

k75QBXR.jpg

Xz0nilX.jpg

BxoiT6q.jpg

rtb0am0.jpg

tz5KDiW.jpg

I was intending to fit some bright trail lights, but couldn’t decide on a mounting point that looked right, so I’ve just gone simple for now. I may look at adding additional lights, or a light bar in the future.

oH4ZlrU.jpg

wBvGVpX.jpg

27zb5bo.jpg

pNg4sZr.jpg

zINbDQ9.jpg

pFpaNGD.jpg

And that’s it! For now, anyway. This truck is going to be a keeper, and i intend to update this build in the future if and when i make any changes.

Thank you for all the comments, and for taking a look.

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

What a beauty, I like the aggressive stance and the interior is just gorgeous, spot on fella.

Jamie tee
    Jamie tee
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I have to say it’s a very smart looking rig you’ve done a top job :worthy:

toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★
    Retrocosm wrote:
    What a beauty, I like the aggressive stance and the interior is just gorgeous, spot on fella.

Thank you. I think the Growlers really suit it too.

Jamie tee wrote:
    I have to say it’s a very smart looking rig you’ve done a top job :worthy:

Thank you very much.

grubbybuz
    grubbybuz
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Yep cracking job that looks spot on ::thumb:: and yeh diggin the perfect stance too ::cool

toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★
    grubbybuz wrote:
    Yep cracking job that looks spot on ::thumb:: and yeh diggin the perfect stance too ::cool

Thanks grubby. Just need to get it dirty now ::yikes

I thought i’d share a few completed body off shots. I added a JST connector to the Heyok light controller and the LED wiring loom on the body so i can remove the body completely.

iEbNGQn.jpg

GRGLUXr.jpg

SavLJhk.jpg

imNtt0x.jpg

And here’s some comparison shots between the 1.55 Growlers, 1.55 Rock Stompers and 1.9 PBX A/T’s. Not sure which i prefer. Any thoughts???

YQktzZf.jpg

ZWxjRud.jpg

5Jii6tS.jpg

t4RBAq1.jpg

BbMcKqm.jpg

DZZWUCV.jpg

If it stops raining this weekend i’m going to try to take it out for a spin. Pics to follow!!!

toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I’ve not had much time this past week so haven’t been able to run the Hilux yet. I’m desperately trying to finish the last few little jobs before i give it it’s maiden voyage at the Scale Nationals in a weeks time!!! The clock is now well and truly ticking…

So, i’ve sorted out my pull pal thingy, and ropes/straps etc, and they all fit nicely in the storage box in the bed. I’m still waiting for my sand ladders to arrive, so hopefully they’ll be here next week.

jDMkUNv.jpg
    wR1MlnF.jpg

I also switched out the winch hook for a Gear HeadFactor 55 ProLink Winch Shackle Mount. Looks much cleaner i think.

mY08Ppt.jpg
    u2l3mjj.jpg

I tried out the winch in the garage, and discovered a small issue. I ran the winch line underneath the 8mm delrin rod that i used as a chassis brace behind the front bumper. And, for some reason, this caused the winch line to wrap up and come off the spool sometimes. So, i drilled a small hole through the delrin bar, and ran the line through it. That seems to have sorted this issue.

K1ZLZbB.jpg

And lastly, a pic looking through the rear window. No real reason other than this is photo number 200!!!

PNrzpZj.jpg

Thanks for looking as usual, ans i hope to have some photos of it running before the Nationals!

Dam
    Dam
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Neilus, it looks bloody lovely ::cool

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 113 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.