Scale RC Forum Forum Members’ Builds Off-Road builds Just a Bobbed Hilux for FUN!

This topic contains 112 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by toyolien 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 113 total)
  • Author
    toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Tiny update this week.

The panhard set up on this GCM Skeleton has been bugging me. As you can see in the photo above, the angle of the panhard seems too steep. And just as i suspected, when i fitted the servo and steering drag link, i got a fair amount of bump steer. So, i’ve been playing about with angle and lengths etc, and finally, tonight, BINGO! I made a new chassis mount for the panhard bar that mirrors the GCM one, but i made the mounting point 7mm lower. And surprise surprise, no bump steer and only a couple of mm’s of chassis swing/movement at full compression. I know it’s only a small thing, but it’s made me very happy indeed.

I think the original GCM mount would have worked had i have ran 70mm shocks on the front or limited mine, but now it works with the 90mm shocks i want to use.

Here’s the stock GCM set up:
    e8E5tiH.jpg

And, here’s the revised look:
    JVNOG5B.jpg

And here’s the new mount. Just need to paint it black when i start painting parts:
    BsEYWiS.jpg

While i was at it, i countersunk the mounting bolts as the shock was just touching the original button head bolts:
    JMyhfDM.jpg
    4rt6bqL.jpg

And lastly, whilst browsing the other night for a servo winch and winch accessories, i spotted this winch tool from rc4wd. Then i looked again, and thought to myself “Hang on a minute! That’s just a 6 inch nail!”
    DwMzRut.jpg

So i made one. Didn’t turn out too bad so i made a few more. I’m sure they’ll come in handy at some point.

TjOme6l.jpg

That’s all for now.

toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I received my servo winch and wireless controller from Al at Heyok. What a great guy to deal with!

Managed to ‘shoehorn’ it into the front of the GCM Skeleton Chassis. I’ve had to put a slight bend in the steering drag link so that the spool clears it, but other than that it fits great!

b5M8wIQ.jpg
    eJ92bZk.jpg
    OBfNWL2.jpg

And, i’ve just started to think about the interior. I think i’m going to ditch the idea of a bench seat and go for bucket seats instead. Not 100% decided yet though.

BTAChzc.jpg
    uZmCXPt.jpg

I’m waiting of the delivery of the ESC then i can finalise the wiring and get started on the interior!

toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Little bit more progress on the front bumper this evening. Started with some ScalerFab SCX10 front bumper mounts that i had laying around, and them chopped them up a bit:

fhtFvGW.jpg

Then chopped it up some more and added a couple of tube pieces:

8kxGmgD.jpg

And here we are. My first ever tube bumper:

U9wMgDV.jpg
    oR96kJe.jpg
    ZZmsFfl.jpg
    azNH5Jk.jpg
    FC8Ch0Y.jpg

Still got to add the fairlead mount and maybe a small flat topped stinger of some sort, but I’m pretty pleased with how it looks.

mark
    mark
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Love that bumper, so small. Makes a change from the usual offerings ::drool

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

So much cool stuff going on here. Love the fact that you engineered a solution to your panhard link and that bumper looks excellent as does all your metal work!

Glad I’m not the only one who noticed the RC4WD ‘nail’ thing, must be a right money spinner ::rolleye

Charlie

toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★
    mark wrote:
    Love that bumper, so small. Makes a change from the usual offerings ::drool

Thank you Mark. Simple is easier to make too ::thumb::

Retrocosm wrote:
    So much cool stuff going on here. Love the fact that you engineered a solution to your panhard link and that bumper looks excellent as does all your metal work!

Glad I’m not the only one who noticed the RC4WD ‘nail’ thing, must be a right money spinner ::rolleye

Charlie

Thanks very much. The panhard mount bugged me for a while. I just had to sort it out before moving on. OCD i guess…

Little more progress. I decided the bumper was a little plain looking so added a small stinger type thingy. I’m fanatical about things being square and level so i always measure things a few times before chopping.
    veSWZxb.jpg

And here we are. Not too bad.
    9CXhA5R.jpg

8r3g9kD.jpg

NfLuFHW.jpg

The fairlead should be just in the right place for the winch cable to come through in the middle… i think.
    zKWG21K.jpg

And here’s the worst job of the whole build so far. My fingers are now scrap.
    tEkrHlI.jpg

I suppose it was worth it though. Just need to braze it on tomorrow now.
    xML30Qf.jpg

And lastly, i had a PM asking how i get the metal work so clean after brazing. And here’s the answer. A nice wire wheel spinning fast in my pillar drill. Works wonders…
    TaYyHki.jpg

toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Front bumper is finished. Added the fairlead mount.

A93cYMg.jpg
    Lbn8pYJ.jpg

I’m really happy with the approach angle too.

EZ1kEId.jpg
    6GyZs5n.jpg

I think that’s it now for the metal work. Next i need to add oil in the shocks, do a final threadlock check of the chassis fixings, then when my FXR turns up i can fit all the electrics. Then will come the interior. I’m not great at styrene building so i’m hoping i can muddle my way through it and end up with something i’ll be happy with.

Oh How Original
    Oh How Original
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Super nice and clean bumper that, excellent job.
    Do you do commission work?

toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★
    Oh How Original wrote:
    Super nice and clean bumper that, excellent job.
    Do you do commission work?

Thank very much. Commission work? I wish time would allow cause i really enjoy it. But sadly my family life would suffer even more….

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Really, really clean work. So if no commission work, howzabouta afternoon where you teach us mere mortals :-)

Just saying. Your “Just a” isn’t “just a” ::eek ;)

toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★
    Fourth Protocol wrote:
    Really, really clean work. So if no commission work, howzabouta afternoon where you teach us mere mortals :-)

Just saying. Your “Just a” isn’t “just a” ::eek ;)

I see. I’m more than happy to spread what little knowledge i have if it’ll be useful. What would you like to know?

toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

On second thoughts I’ll swap you for some styrene knowledge :hmmm:

toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I haven’t done much on this for a couple of weeks. I’ve been on holiday and it was also my daughters birthday, but i’m back at it now. This is the first time i’ve ever built an interior, so be gentle. I had an idea in my mind of what i want it to look like. I’m not going for an exact 1:1 match, more of what i think the interior would look like if i built a 1:1 version of this. So, i have some Axial seats (which i’m not sure i’m going to use yet), and i wanted a simple centre console with a couple of dials and the gear levers etc…

I did buy a Tamiya Hilux interior that i thought about hacking up. But after installing it i realised its not deep enough. So i really had no choice but to build something myself. So i started with a piece of styrene resting on the GCM transfer case.

lGYsfTw.jpg

but the top retaining bolt was proud so i machined the head down so it now sits flat.

dAvGBkp.jpg
    8tUWu3T.jpg

And here’s the start of my terrible attempt (compared to some styrene wizards on here) at an interior.

HLjqE4z.jpg
    7RYDyRi.jpg
    zIdHcWc.jpg

Finished up the top and added the lid to the box.

tV9Zn1b.jpg

I’m waiting on a pair of Loops RC seats to compare before i build the seat bases. More coming soon.

toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I’ve not had much free time this last few weeks. I’m still working on the interior, but finally, it’s almost finished.

I added a couple of Scalerfab fabtabs to bolt a piece of black plastic to hide the electrics from the underside.

yat3ix8.jpg

Right. I’ve been thinking about the seat mounting for some time now. The problem is that, the two bolts for mounting the interior with are underneath the seat. I had thought about using magnets to hold the seat bases to the interior, and did order some, but then suddenly, in a flash of inspiration I came up with this idea.

Firstly, I made the seat bases with some 8mm square styene box.
    bUvpg3x.jpg
    MWMYLCJ.jpg

The idea is to use a 3 mm steel pin that holds the seat bases to the interior. So firstly I drilled through the outer seat base section.
    5dMMYYB.jpg

Then mounted the seats and added the inner box section, and drilled through that to match. And made the steel pin to hold it all together.
    oUF2DEw.jpg
    AKCdvma.jpg
    x7J0qed.jpg

And there we are. Works great. And when the body is on, the steel pin is against the door cards, so it can’t come out.
    tBQ5uAg.jpg
    EOtMwuo.jpg

I’m hoping to get the interior finished up this week. Then there are a few little odds and ends jobs that I still need to do before I can move onto the paint. I think the painting will take a while as there seems to be a lot of things to paint…

Apologies for all the pics in this build. I’m just enjoying trying to show every detail and my thought process for getting there.

More to come soon…

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Such top drawer craftmanship every step of the way, it is :jawdrop:

Superb stuff, keep it coming.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 113 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.