Scale RC Forum Forum Members’ Builds Off-Road builds Just a Bobbed Hilux for FUN!

This topic contains 112 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by toyolien 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 113 total)
  • Author
    grubbybuz
    grubbybuz
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Super tidy work as per usual sir ::cool :popanddrink

Oh How Original
    Oh How Original
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

What about an opening bonnet, with the battery next to servo?
    No body to remove, no easy mounts to make etc…?
    Just another option.

damohick
    damohick
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Looking good Neil, can I ask what brazing torch you are working with now … the results look fantastic!

toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★
    grubbybuz wrote:
    Super tidy work as per usual sir ::cool :popanddrink

Thank you sir.

Oh How Original wrote:
    What about an opening bonnet, with the battery next to servo?
    No body to remove, no easy mounts to make etc…?
    Just another option.

That’s my last resort, i think. I’m not too sure about that. It would be a fair amount more work. Relocating the grill and dash mounts etc… I’ll look into it.

damohick wrote:
    Looking good Neil, can I ask what brazing torch you are working with now … the results look fantastic!

Thanks Damo. Yes of course, it’s a bernzomatic ts4000.
    Bernzomatic_TS4000T_torch_03.png

But i think the main difference is from switching to MAPP gas from Butane. It burns much hotter which means joints that would have taken me 4 or 5 mintues with Butane, now take 60 seconds!

toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Damo: Forgot to add that am using johnson matthey silver flo 55 rods with their ‘easyflo’ flux. Best i’ve found, to date.

91oBPx9Wq2L._SX425_.jpg

toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I’ve been working on the body mounts. I really want the battery under the body, so i want hidden mounts that are easy to remove. Not to keen on removing 4 bolts every time i want to change the battery!

Here’s the rear. 6mm delrin rod for the body mounts. These will have some small holes in for 2 body clips.
    96ifm06.jpg

IWqIHE6.jpg

Added some pieces i cut out of the body to ensure the front slips on sqaure. I just need to decided on velcro or magnets for the front. Anyone have any preferences???

A310gST.jpg

Next up is the spare wheel mount. I wanted this flat in the bed. Here’s the first two mock ups, that didn’t meet my quality control!!
    XxLP99C.jpg

And here’s the final one.

lyNkRr0.jpg

c5RxnAU.jpg

89zdJhA.jpg

Next up will be to finish the front body mounts and make up the final suspension links.

Thanks for looking.

toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Had a spare hour or so this evening so finished up the sliders.

I like all my joints to be clean and neat.
    JXCvlIF.jpg

And here they are. Nice and simple. I like them.
    yOt8d3f.jpg
    NIrcenG.jpg
    jJKR5vO.jpg

Also mounted up the rear bumper.
    trm5WWe.jpg

I’m quite pleased with the look so far.

Next will be the front bumper. I’ve got several ideas floating around in my head, so i’ll have a play over the next few days and see what happens.

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I LOVE the look ::eek ::drool ::thumb:: It’s crazy clean and simple, and makes a refreshing change from the overloaded Hiluxes (Hiluxi?!?) with everything from dog to hamburgers thrown in the back.

Looks ace!

toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★
    Fourth Protocol wrote:
    I LOVE the look ::eek ::drool ::thumb:: It’s crazy clean and simple, and makes a refreshing change from the overloaded Hiluxes (Hiluxi?!?) with everything from dog to hamburgers thrown in the back.

Looks ace!

Thank you, much appreciated. I’ve looked at loads of Hilux builds and am kind of going for comp worthy but road going too. So nothing crazy with the steel work.

Al murray
    Al murray
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

beautiful tube work there on the cage and sliders.. big fan of that simplistic slider look

Al..

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Superb tube work, this is coming together really nicely. Nice to see the use of a different chassis.

Cheers, Charlie

toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★
    Al murray wrote:
    beautiful tube work there on the cage and sliders.. big fan of that simplistic slider look

Al..

Thanks very much Al. I guess i take far too long on the tubework. I like it to look good, be perfectly square and be strong. It’s all good fun though.

Retrocosm wrote:
    Superb tube work, this is coming together really nicely. Nice to see the use of a different chassis.

Cheers, Charlie

Thanks Charlie. I’m glad to be building again after a long break! And yes, these GCM chassis are brilliant…

After A LOT of thinking and head scratching, and trying a few different designs i’ve come up with a simple way of unclipping the front part of the body. I’ve used the front two original TF2 body mount holes, put a 15mm long allen bolt with a nut, and then added a rubber antenna cap on the end to stop it rattling. This slots nicely into a small bracket brazed on to the sliders. Then the body can be pulled out enough to easily release them.

Hopefully that will do. The steel flat piece just needs to be trimmed off tomorrow.

It still amazes me just how much time goes in to one of these builds. Two evenings just to decide and make these mounts!!!

Jigged up and ready for the silver.
    7lgV1mF.jpg

And here we go. Hopefully the pics are clear enough to see the finished mounts.
    GIJLJzZ.jpg
    42RH7qx.jpg
    luujkiR.jpg

That’s all for now. Thanks for having a nose.

grubbybuz
    grubbybuz
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Ingenious body mount system ::thumb:: I am resigned to four bolts on most of my stuff and yep its kinda tedious ::rolleye
    Ultra clean building it looks like you have an awesome space to work in,i have no such luck but one day ::pray

Keep it coming ::cool

toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★
    grubbybuz wrote:
    Ingenious body mount system ::thumb:: I am resigned to four bolts on most of my stuff and yep its kinda tedious ::rolleye
    Ultra clean building it looks like you have an awesome space to work in,i have no such luck but one day ::pray

Keep it coming ::cool

Thanks very much. My workspace is just a single garage. I have a bench with a pillar drill, bench grinder and vice, but that’s about all. I made a couple of tube benders which i’ve used for the last 5 years and have served me well. So that takes care of the metal work.

toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

That’s the body fitted. It’s a nice snug fit. I need to lengthen the front links a few mm but other than that, i’m happy with the look.

q0eksBy.jpg
    wqLAyBK.jpg
    sS9Ouhs.jpg
    hWuzcon.jpg

I knew as soon as i dropped the body on, early on in the build, that the slipper nut would protrude into the interior. I was hoping that LockedUpRC would have their slipper eliminator kit back in stock, but looking though a box of axial spares i found an original AX10 spur gear shaft that’s pre-slipper. So i’ll use that for now. It also looks like the battery mount needs to be trimmed at the same time. Could have been worse i guess…

JMrzfYB.jpg
    rZv5NYC.jpg

I’ve had a ponder over the front bumper. I have got an RC4WD Warn 9.5 winch that i’d planned to use. But offering it up this evening i don’t think it will look right. Now, the good chaps at GCM included a second servo mount on the Skeleton chassis so i’m now thinking about having a servo winch behind the grille instead.
    The problem is, i know nothing about them. Anyone have a recommendation they care to share??? Homemade, bought, or otherwise???

yySE53q.jpg

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 113 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.