Scale RC Forum Forum Members’ Builds Off-Road builds Just a Bobbed Hilux for FUN!

This topic contains 112 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by toyolien 8 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 113 total)
  • Author
    toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I guess i’m late to the party with this one, but i’ve always fancied a hard body Hilux! So, i thought it’s probably about time i built one. I was half way through my scx10ii build, but seeing that it was going to end up being a similar truck to the 4 door JK i built (and still love), i’ve decided to part company with it and build a Class 1 instead. It won’t be a super fast build but i’m hoping to have a runner with in a month or two. So here we go.

This won’t be anything radical, just hopefully fun to drive.

GCM Skeleton Chassis
    RC4WD K44 Axles
    RC4WD Hilux Body (bobbed bed)
    RC4WD Steelies and Rock Stompers.

Only managed to get the axles and wheels ready so far, so that’s all i can show for now.
    Thanks for having a peek.

RC4WD K44’s. I’ve only ever really used Axial axles, but these K44’s are something else.

1.55 Rock Stompers on RC4WD Black Steelies.

mark
    mark
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Every hilux should have stompers ::thumb:: The K44’s are a work of art, I have a set on my blazer.

toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I’ve got a few sets of 1.9 tyres, but somehow they just don’t look right on a Hilux i don’t think. Whereas the Stompers look perfect. They may not be the best performing tyres, but they look great!

And yes, really happy with the K44’s.

amellor03
    amellor03
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

im not a fan of the bobbed hilux but a good build may change my mind so convince me ::thumb:: cant beat k44’s and stompers. are they the new deep dish oems? they would look good on a hliux

toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

They aren’t the new deep dish, just the normal ones. I just think there is too much rear overhang on the stock rear bed. I’ll do me best to convince you though ::thumb::

toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

First try at chopping up and reassembling a hardbody. I was a bit nervous, but am really pleased with the results. Still a little more sanding to do.

DinkyRC kit installed on the Skeleton.

And, lastly here’s how it looks as of now.

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

The bob is sweet and all, the epic part is that chassis ::thumb:: ::cool :cheers:

Oh How Original
    Oh How Original
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

That already looks mean and awesome!

toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★
    Fourth Protocol wrote:
    The bob is sweet and all, the epic part is that chassis ::thumb:: ::cool :cheers:

I love GCM stuff. The geometry is perfect, and the fabrication tolerances are something else… Plus, and more importantly for me, they ALWAYS respond to your emails with help/advice. Unlike a lot of other companies…

Oh How Original wrote:
    That already looks mean and awesome!

Thanks chap. ::thumb::

Oh How Original
    Oh How Original
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Have to be honest, I’d love to do a GCM build myself.
    Although my SCX10 gets used about 3 times a year at the moment, so it’d seem like a bit of a waste for it to sit on the shelf, when they seem to perform so well and look great outside.
    Do you have a colour/theme in mind yet?

toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Not decided exactly on a colour yet. I like Bill’s green one he built and i also like orange. I’m thinking about chopping a tad more out of the bed first. Then i can finish the body work and make up the bumpers, sliders and interior. Then I’ll decide on the paint. ::thumb::

toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Small update:

I decided i wasn’t perfectly happy with my first bobbing attempt, so i took what i had learned and set to work on a second. Much happier with this one, and i took a little more out of it.

rk8GXqH.jpg

Checking this time that my bracing pieces cleared the back of the light lens (the first one didn’t). Another lesson learned…

bXFvvq2.jpg
    7zH1jHp.jpg

I’m much happier with this join too:

DsfpruR.jpg

AND now on to my favorite bit. The metalwork.

The slider mounts. I’m going for some simple tube sliders. Here’s where i’m up to. I’m not going to add the rest until i’ve mounted the body. Next job.

HvOEFLI.jpg

And finally for today, the rear bumper. Again, i wanted a simple looking tube style bumper.

3cOrNLG.jpg

ZVln854.jpg

Next, i’ll be on to mounting the body, and finishing the sliders. Then comes the front bumper. I’ve not yet decided to have the winch mounted on the bumper or under the body somewhere…

Thanks for taking a look.

Oh How Original
    Oh How Original
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

That rear bumper is very very nice.
    I love a fairly simple look, nothing too overcomplicated.
    This is going to end up a fantastic build!

toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★
    Oh How Original wrote:
    That rear bumper is very very nice.
    I love a fairly simple look, nothing too overcomplicated.
    This is going to end up a fantastic build!

Thanks very much. I’m really enjoying this build. My JK build was a really over complicated full cage job, so this is going to be the opposite.

I just can’t decide whether to have the body screwed down and the battery in the bed, or the body easily removable, and the battery next to the servo.

toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Started the roll bar yesterday. I’m going for a simple one, but i may add a couple of braces just to strengthen it up a little.

YgzWVn4.jpg

0OobnCT.jpg

Also trying out a new brazing torch, and am really pleased with the results.

AA5zHU8.jpg

I’m still trying to decide on the body mounts. Either screwed down with the battery in a box in the bed, or some type of removable mounts and the battery next to the servo. That’ll be the next job!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 113 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.