Scale RC Forum Forum Members’ Builds Off-Road builds JK Build Inspired By Fourth Protocol

This topic contains 90 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by Retrocosm 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 91 total)
  • Author
    Disco Fred
    Disco Fred
    • Hitting The Trail
    • ★★★

That is an absolute BEAUTY outdoors, i liked it from the on the bench pics but set off by the environment its a real stunner!

Oh How Original
    Oh How Original
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Really nice video that.
    May I ask, do you use some kind of aid to get your camera so steady when hand held?

Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★
    Disco Fred wrote:
    That is an absolute BEAUTY outdoors, i liked it from the on the bench pics but set off by the environment its a real stunner!

Thank you :-)

Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★
    Oh How Original wrote:
    Really nice video that.
    May I ask, do you use some kind of aid to get your camera so steady when hand held?

Yes indeed, a Z1 evolution gimbal.

Oh How Original
    Oh How Original
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Thanks!
    Bit out of my price range I think.

steviedee
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

awesome pics. top job ::thumb::

Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Finally have the steering wheel working, I think I’m about done. Next up, a comp meet.

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

That’s awesome ::eek ::thumb:: So how did you do the dude’s arm?

Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★
    Fourth Protocol wrote:
    That’s awesome ::eek ::thumb:: So how did you do the dude’s arm?

Cheers, he’s pretty bendy and just attaching his hand to the wheel, with a none to subtle bolt pulls it round in quite a life like manner.

Charlie

Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I’ve had in the back of my mind a desire to put my JK back together, it had been robbed of various parts for other builds and when toyolien brought to my attention that GCM Racing had released a mounting kit for the Skeleton chassis and their LRT2 transmission it seemed the perfect time.

The kit consists of a 3d printed transfer case mount, chassis mounts for the transmission and a new servo mount. I’m not sure how durable the transfer case mount/skid will be but time will tell.  I had to opt for right hand drop on the transfer case as I’m using RC4WD Yota 2 axles (I know, Yotas in a Jeep) as they’re all I had available.

P1090438

With this new mount/skid the lower links have to be attached to the chassis rails, losing triangulation with the upper links.  Up front I opted to use the original aluminium servo mount as after much messing about with the steering links, panhard bar and shock mounts it gave the best solution and is also much sturdier.

I managed to get the panhard bar and drag link at the same angle which is apparently a good thing.  I also had to remove the rear steering link mounts from the knuckles as they were fouling on the shocks and preventing full throw.

P1090440

Then whilst perusing Ebay I noticed that the China JK body was also available in a khaki green and that someone was selling a new one for £16 with free delivery from Hong Kong.  Mmmm, I thought to myself, too good to be true, but I ordered it anyway.  It turned up in due course, somewhat amusingly in a bag.  Unsurprisingly given the paucity of packaging when I opened it had a broken windscreen, crack in the windscreen surround and a broken rear side window.

For £16 I couldn’t really be bothered to complain, I can replace the windscreen quite easily, mend the crack and I won’t be using the cover for the cab anyway so the rear windows are irrelevant.

I’ve trimmed the arches as I don’t like the folded down look of the originals, painted them in matt black and added the RCModelex roll bar/frame that I had.  So far I’m pretty pleased with how it’s looking.

P1090429

P1090431P1090436P1090426

Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I added some side windows.

P1090449

And a rear bumper.

P1090452

Driver is Fox Mulder, he’s a little small as it’s very difficult to find decent scale figures that are the correct size.

P1090456

Bumper is now tucked in a little further and I decided to try some Hyrax tyres.

P1090458

Finding batteries to fit has always been a bit of a challenge for this set up.  However I stumbled across these stick batteries at Hobbyking and they work a treat.  Apparently they’re designed for airsoft guns, whatever they are but they seem to be the correct specification.  These ones are 3S, 1200 mAH and 25-50C discharge.

I’m going to run two in parallel, one on each slider, giving me ample capacity for comp meets.

P1090464

toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

One of the cleanest Jeeps I’ve seen. It looks ace. The trimmed arches are spot too. I’d like to see a pic with the hyraxes on👍

Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Cheers fella, I’ll try to grab a pic with the Hyrax, I’m also going to try some 1.7 Wrangler MT/R’s which are the same OD.

Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I decided to try some 1.7 Wrangler MT/R’s stretched on some 1.9 rims.  They are apparently 4.19 inch class 1s but they seem larger to me.

P1090491

P1090471P1090478P1090470

SARGE
    SARGE
    • Scaling Like A Pro
    • ★★★★★

What a difference a body makes! Stands really well. Liking the new tyres but prefer the black wheels!!

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 91 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.