Scale RC Forum Forum Members’ Builds Off-Road builds JK Build Inspired By Fourth Protocol

This topic contains 90 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by Retrocosm 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 91 total)
  • Author
    Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★
    steviedee wrote:
    yeah wil defo be front heavy with the bumper haha. maybe go down the over drive the front or under drive route?

Funnily enough these axles already have overdrive front and underdrive rear. Some people think it’s too much but I only ever drive on loose surfaces and it works will in comps for me.

Charlie

steviedee
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★
    Retrocosm wrote:
    steviedee wrote:
    yeah wil defo be front heavy with the bumper haha. maybe go down the over drive the front or under drive route?

Funnily enough these axles already have overdrive front and underdrive rear. Some people think it’s too much but I only ever drive on loose surfaces and it works will in comps for me.

Charlie

thats all that matter bud, the difference just by doing one is so noticeable. i changed min to overdrive front only and its so much more stable when climbing or descending.

Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I’ve been fiddling with lights today. The fronts were pretty straight forward:-

p1020577.jpg

As supplied the rears are half reverse and half brake/driving light. There’s one big hole in the back of the bucket which would if holding a bulb illuminate the whole unit.

I decided therefore to place a divider inside the box to isolate the reverse light and also to paint some additional clear red on the lens to reduce the size of the clear portion.

Anyway I tried to make them look a little like this real one, sans cage.

rearlight.jpg

This is where I’ve got to:-

p10205881.jpg

Illuminated:-

p1020575.jpg

Cheers, Charlie

Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Back from hols had a full day to work on the JK today. I swapped out the temporary Axial drive shafts for some JunFac ones that had arrived from RCMart.

I also added some Axial CVDs to improve the steering and sorted out the body mounting.

Also arrived was the RCModelex roof frame so I fitted that and I’m really pleased with it. As I hope to comp this I want a spare wheel/tire for scale points but it looks pretty daft mounted on the rear, being so big, so I’m looking at adding it where the rear seat usually goes. This means I need to work out what to do with the original mount.

And finally a driver, I wanted one with a flexible body and arms that would move with the steering wheel that I’m hoping to power. This is a Street League Skateboarding figure as recommended by Tom of Tom’s RC Scaler (Youtube.) He’s possibly a tad small and has a bit of a goofy expression so I’m thinking of maybe swapping his head for something more realistic.

p1020601.jpg

p1020605.jpg

p1020607.jpg

p1020614.jpg

p1020609.jpg

p1020619.jpg

Oh How Original
    Oh How Original
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Where did you get that transfer case and gearbox from?
    The one thing that bugged me about buying one of these bodies for an SCX10 was having to chop the interior, but all that looks to be a direct fit on the chassis is it? Or did you need to customise anything to make it fit?
    Jeep is looking fantastic! :)

Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Cheers, I ditched the Axial chassis and went for the GCM Racing Skeleton chassis which comes with the transfer case and mount for the Axial gearbox. It’s a direct fit for the body.

Charlie

Oh How Original
    Oh How Original
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Ahh damn lol, I don’t really want to sink that much into it.
    Thanks for the info :)

Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Yes I know, that’s how I started and then it just sort of snowballed. ::eek

Oh How Original
    Oh How Original
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

It happens lol.
    If I could find a super cheap donor vehicle, I might be more tempted.
    I just don’t want to end up with another truck that’s got £600 into it lol

Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Nearing completion, I couldn’t resist a test run and a few pictures in the garden.

p10206381.jpg

p10206431.jpg

p10206531.jpg

p10206401.jpg

p10206531.jpg

p10206351.jpg

As much as I like the green it’s a bugger to photograph. The spare wheel cover is an experiment with the cap of a primer can. I’ve cut out another one and sprayed it in the aforementioned green and hope to mount it without the nut and bolt showing.

Everything is working, yay. I have to say I’m impressed with the performance, not many of my trucks can pull off this manoeuver without rolling.

p10206301.jpg

I’ve made some rudimentary inner fenders for the front.

p1020654.jpg

Dam
    Dam
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Looks brilliant :jawdrop: The new piccies look 1:1. Nice job ::thumb::

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Pics are awesome. Like Dam says, they look 1:1 :worthy: How does it run? Did you end up with OD/UD in the axles?

Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★
    dam wrote:
    Looks brilliant :jawdrop: The new piccies look 1:1. Nice job ::thumb::

Thanks chap, much appreciated. :-)

Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★
    Fourth Protocol wrote:
    Pics are awesome. Like Dam says, they look 1:1 :worthy: How does it run? Did you end up with OD/UD in the axles?

Cheers Fourth :-)

It runs really well, I do have underdrive/overdrive so won’t be running on too many grippy surfaces as it puts a fair amount of strain through the tyres and drivetrain but works really when on the loose stuff.

I’ve been very impressed by the Losi shocks which I bought thinking they’d need upgrading at some point but they have lovely smooth rebound and work well.

Only real problem at the moment is the 1.7 Iroks which need stiffer foams and are a little too big.

Charlie

Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Rear tyre cover in green.

p1020668.jpg

Bling?

p1020662.jpg

Or no bling?

p1020658.jpg

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 91 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.