Scale RC Forum Forum Members’ Builds Off-Road builds JK Build Inspired By Fourth Protocol

This topic contains 88 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by Retrocosm 2 days, 11 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 89 total)
  • Author
    Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Chassis est arrivé ::thumb:: (With no additional duty!)

I put it together quickly with no instructions, probably have most things inside out, upside down and generally in the wrong place but it looks ok.

Whipped the axles of of my Rubicon which already have beef tubes and overdrive in the front and also used the attached wheels and tires for a quick mock up. Pretty chuffed with how it looks so far although I can’t quite decide if the front bumper looks a bit too monstrous for it.

p1020519.jpg

p1020521.jpg

p1020523.jpg

p1020531.jpg

p1020535.jpg

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

It’s looking awesome ::drool As mentioned, I really like the gray buckets at the back!!

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Cheers fella, can I ask, what 3 drive shafts do you use for this chassis, I’m having trouble finding the correct length for the two axle ones and the transfer case to transmission?

Annoyingly all the ones I have are too long.

Charlie

mark
    mark
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Looks fantastic and that bumper really suits it.

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★
    Retrocosm wrote:
    Cheers fella, can I ask, what 3 drive shafts do you use for this chassis, I’m having trouble finding the correct length for the two axle ones and the transfer case to transmission?

GCM recommend the following:

● Front drive shaft 100mm total length
    ● Rear drive shaft 85mm total length
    ● Trans to Tcase shaft 71mm total length

Trans to tcase I used a short one I already had, which keeps coming loose, so I ordered and just received a 65mm to 85mm RC4WD Ultra Scale Hardened Steel Driveshaft. Have yet to install it. Note that it’s not an RC4WD product ( think they’re no longer produced). This one is made by JD Models.

Tcase to axles (front and back) I used 82mm to 117mm Junfac shafts for Tamiya F-350 High-Lift & Hilux.

Martin (RCBitz) didn’t have either in stock, so it’s worth shopping around for delivery speed or price, as you prefer. If you PM me your snailmail address I’ll post you my old one to tide you over until you find a decent one.

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Briliant thank you, and thank you for your kind offer. I’ve put something together for now by cutting up standard Axial shafts of which I have many. I’ll get some Junfacs ordered, did you order them direct?

Charlie

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Can’t rmember where I got mine. I think Hong Kong (I remember them taking forever to arrive). Usually keep a meticulous record but can’t find the order email.

Bill
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Have you considered SDI drive shafts, very strong, very sleek and scale, very cheap and easily chopped to length?

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★
    bill wrote:
    Have you considered SDI drive shafts, very strong, very sleek and scale, very cheap and easily chopped to length?

Cheers Bill, I had not, I shall go and take a look!

Charlie

Pete Attryde
    Pete Attryde
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★
    Retrocosm wrote:
    bill wrote:

Cheers Bill, I had not, I shall go and take a look!

Charlie

SDI would be my suggestion too!

Pete's Scale Fab Shop - Facebook  Instagram

amellor03
    amellor03
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

mip or sdi shafts i recommend. junfacs are pretty good but do get slack over time. ive got a set with loads of play in them!

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I’ve squeezed the electronics in, slightly concerned about how toasty it’s going to get under the hood, time will tell. Not very neat I know but will be hidden by inner fenders.

p1020552.jpg

I’ve added some rock sliders and put battery plates on them. I’ll run two 2200 mAh 2s Turnigy Nanotechs as they’re the only batteries I have that fit. One will feed the motor, the other feeds direct to a Viper ESC for the winch and on via a BEC into the receiver for the servo, lights etc. Motor is a Tekin 35T, servo a waterproof Savox, the underside of which I’ve painted black.

p1020556.jpg

The rock sliders offer some much needed protection and look OK, metal would be nice.

p1020550.jpg

It does all fit, and work, honest.

p1020567.jpg

Cheers, Charlie

steviedee
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

looking great that bud. awesome colour. think you and bill have been sharing same paint haha.

the front bumper looks great. had one but mine, always seem to get caught up on something. looks great though.

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★
    steviedee wrote:
    looking great that bud. awesome colour. think you and bill have been sharing same paint haha.

the front bumper looks great. had one but mine, always seem to get caught up on something. looks great though.

Cheers, I did wonder that about the bumper, with it relatively high and the front wheels so far forward I’m hoping it will be OK. This thing is seriously front heavy at the moment however, it will certainly climb well but downhill is going to be exciting.

Charlie

steviedee
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

yeah wil defo be front heavy with the bumper haha. maybe go down the over drive the front or under drive route?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 89 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.