Scale RC Forum Forum Members’ Builds Off-Road builds JK Build Inspired By Fourth Protocol

This topic contains 90 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by Retrocosm 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 91 total)
  • Author
    Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

As the title suggests, I’ve been drooling over Fourth Protocol’s JK builds. I’m going to attempt one which will pale into insignificance compared to Fourth’s efforts but I want to document it here because you chaps tend to make me up my game with your ideas and input.

So far I’ve broken down the body and trimmed the wheel arch flares.

Dangerous with a Dremmel I opted to cut the flares with the cotton thread method.

p1020440.jpg

p1020441.jpg

p1020442.jpg

grubbybuz
    grubbybuz
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Neat work ::cool Looking forward to see where you go with this ::thumb::

Tim_
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I really like these, if I had the time I’d definitely do one. What are your plans for it?

RC4WD portal hubs on a set of their TF2/Gelande axles would look ace and be in keeping with the Jeeps that run portals ::cool

Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★
    Tim_ wrote:
    I really like these, if I had the time I’d definitely do one. What are your plans for it?

RC4WD portal hubs on a set of their TF2/Gelande axles would look ace and be in keeping with the Jeeps that run portals ::cool

That would be sweet, but funds are a bit limited (I need to sell something, might sell the Cruiser, eek!)

I’ve got this SCX10 that I thought I’d try to modify with some parts I’ve got laying about.

p1020449.jpg

This is as far as I got.

p1020451.jpg

Then I decided I couldn’t resist ordering a GCM J2 chassis so that’s on its way. I have some SCX10 axles from another build so will use them for now. When funds allow I may pick up some better axles.

Inspiration wise I’m liking this sort of thing:-

jeep-wrangler-08.jpg

jk_header.jpg

Charlie

Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

First bit of advice needed :blush:

I did what I always do, roughed up the surface with some 1500 grit wet and dry and then washed the body in a detergent solution, left to dry and then applied the primer but keep getting this. It’s not a crack by the way but no matter how many coats of primer I shoot at it this always appears?

p1020452.jpg

Should I just assume it’s some sort of contaminent, rub down and try again?

Charlie

Oh How Original
    Oh How Original
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

It could be a conteminent, that’s possible, I once had a similar situation happening and my Dad advised to warm the paint up, after doing so, it never did it.
    Maybe your paint is a tad cool?

grubbybuz
    grubbybuz
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I think there’s something lurking under there too, must be difficult to clean right into those corners.
    I would go back to bare plastic while its still early days.

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

:-) Awesome!

Hey about the paint. Not sure why, but I think it’s because that ABS they use just doesn’t like being painted. Especially where it’s glossy. I used 400 grit followed by 800 (dry sand only), and then made sure I got all the gloss off. The other thing I found that helped was to spray a VERY thin coat of primer – let it dry, then a second coat of primer. When that’s dry, a third where you can give it a bit of a thicker coat to cover it evenly.

No easy answer. Looking forward to your build though ::thumb::

Tim_
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Looks like it needs rubbing right back there. If there’s any residue glue from the body being assembled that would cause that issue. You might need to find a way of changing the top surface material that you primer if it persists.

Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Thanks for all your advice chaps, I’ll rub it right back again and try again just to be sure!

Charlie

Al murray
    Al murray
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

yep, grease contaminent of some sort, even the oils from your hands can affect paints.. it usually happens if you put the paint on a little quick and thicker between coats too..

had a few problems with that on the 2nd blazer bonnet too best solution was a rub back and a good primer coat first

liking that 2nd Jeep pic btw

Al..

Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Rubbed back and bought a new tin of primer. The tin I had used had also been kicking around in the shed over winter so may have been past its best.

Masked it up and put on some matt black. I’ve picked Rover Applejack Green for the rest, it’s quite lary but hopefully will look sweet with the black (fingers crossed.)

p1020461.jpg

p1020456.jpg

I’ve also ordered this roll cage from RCModelex:-

_vyr_85320140602_095700.jpg

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I think the colours you have there now are awesome ::cool

Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Cheers, probably should have done the green first should I not ::doh:: ::lolz

Charlie

Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 91 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.