Scale RC Forum Forum Members’ Builds Off-Road builds Jeremy Clarkson's Top Gear Bolivian Range Rover

This topic contains 25 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Fourth Protocol 2 days, 3 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Having already built a version of Richard Hammond’s Landcruiser from the Top Gear Bolivia Special I’ve been itching to do Clarkson’s Range Rover ever since JSScale released their 3dr Range Rover Classic body kit.  The Range Rover featured in the Bolivia Special is actually a five door and I’ve known for a little while that JSScale would eventually be releasing a five door kit.

Screenshot 2019-10-28 at 18.35.49

So time to start some research.  I’m hoping to be able to use my existing CMax chassis from my current Range Rover.  The wheelbase on the 5dr is the same so with a simple change of wheels and tyres I should hopefully be able to swap them over with ease.

The tyres on Clarkson’s post pimp are BF Goodrich Mud Terrain and it so happens that since I completed Hammond’s Cruiser Pro-Line have released some of these very tyres, the class 1 versions of which look like they might by just the right size.  I need to work out how I’m going to increase the track, initially I thought just use the deep dish beadlocks with their considerable offset, however I think they’re going to stretch the tyres too much as they are very wide rims.

I’ve ordered some Masai Red paint which I believe is the correct colour and once the body arrives, which will hopefully be later this week, I shall start wrecking it with dents, bonnet holes and various other Clarkson inflicted injuries.

This picture was taken by some tourists who discovered the abandoned vehicle some time after the cast crew had returned home.

Screenshot 2019-10-26 at 18.59.03

Retrocosm On YouTube   Instagram   Website   Twitter   Facebook JSScale Team Driver

Fourth Protocol
    Fourth Protocol
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Looking foward to this. Haven’t ordered one because I have way too much going on already!

That said, have you already got the body? Is the 5-door as long as the 3-door, or longer, because longer should make the width narrower, no? Also, would wheel hexes not solve the track width problem? I’ve seen ones that go 25mm wide 😲

Popcorn is out 😎

Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Looking foward to this. Haven’t ordered one because I have way too much going on already!

That said, have you already got the body? Is the 5-door as long as the 3-door, or longer, because longer should make the width narrower, no? Also, would wheel hexes not solve the track width problem? I’ve seen ones that go 25mm wide 😲

Popcorn is out 😎

You do indeed have too much going on 😉 but you wouldn’t have it any other way, let’s be honest 🙂

Body should arrive this week, it was sent out yesterday. I think the proportions are the same, the front doors are just much narrower to accommodate the rears as far as I can tell.

I’m currently running 6mm hexes and this leaves just enough stub to locate the wheel nuts, any wider hexes and I won’t be able to secure the wheels, unless I drill out their centre holes and use some barrel nuts.

Talking of wheels I’ve yet to find any to match, save for some plastic GMade ones which are unfortunately 6 lug… and plastic. They’re very cheap but did I mention they’re plastic.

Retrocosm On YouTube   Instagram   Website   Twitter   Facebook JSScale Team Driver

mark
    mark
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I feel bad for not completing Dready’s one. Pro comps from Rc4wd were used on his build.

Pete Attryde
    Pete Attryde
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I was also going to suggest RC4WD Pro 10’s

Pete's Scale Fab Shop - Facebook  Instagram

Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Cheers chaps, how did I not find those, doh!  Still 6 lug mind but guess I’ll have to suck it up.

I did a bit of work on the dash today, I started off just with the intention of converting it to left hand drive but then started fiddling with other bits after I’d found a reasonable image of Clarkson’s dash.

Screenshot 2019-11-03 at 18.50.21

I can’t quite work out what year it is, I can’t seem to find one similar.  Anyway I had a go at doing the dials and chopping out whatever the bit in the centre is, where he has his water bottle.  Had to chop up the steering column bit and reverse it and cut out the blank for the left hand binacle area.  Steering wheel is different as well, oh Lordy, nothing’s ever easy is it.

IMG_3554P1110367P1110366

I guess I’ll have to do a plate to cover over the existing location for the dials but I through a load of dust over it anyway coz it helps cover up all my dodgy bits.

MarkB
    • Ready To Trail
    • ★★

Looks great! Looking forward to seeing this come together

mark
    mark
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Middle pic had me double take. Then I realised it’s on a desk. How’d you do the dust as looks like some of my builds in the attic.

Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Looks great! Looking forward to seeing this come together

Cheers 🙂

Middle pic had me double take. Then I realised it’s on a desk. How’d you do the dust as looks like some of my builds in the attic.

Hehe, cheers, that’s from a Tamiya weathering master, just load up the brush and spread it around.

Pete Attryde
    Pete Attryde
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Steering wheel d

I can print you a steering wheel, won’t have the lettering but the shape is pretty much correct.

Pete's Scale Fab Shop - Facebook  Instagram

Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

That would be great Pete, I’ll measure the radius of the existing wheel and let you know, cheers 🙂

Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

The BF Goodrich Mud Terrain tyres arrived so I painted in the lettering on them with a white Sharpie and mounted them up on the GMade wheels which despite being plastic don’t look half bad.  Plus they come with some nice scale hardware so I think I’ll stick with them and save myself some pennies.

My only concern is stripping out the hex mounts on them but as I won’t be driving this a great deal and certainly not in anger they should hold.

I think the tyres are the perfect size, even in so much as you can see why and where they had to trim the arches on Clarkson’s vehicle to accomodate them.  The track even looks closer than I’d imagine so all in all well chuffed.  Ride height will have to be raised a little, may even accomplish this easily with some stiffer springs.

P1110372P1110374P1110370

Screenshot 2019-10-28 at 17.54.20

mark
    mark
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I wouldn’t worry about Gmade hex’s. I’ve run a Trailfinder at the Nationals and they survived that with no issues other than chucking a bead.

Sysop
    Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I wouldn’t worry about Gmade hex’s. I’ve run a Trailfinder at the Nationals and they survived that with no issues other than chucking a bead.

Cheers Mark, good to know.

I have partly assembled the body, cut the wheel arches, bonnet holes and started adding in the dents of which they are not actually that many.  Thanks to Clarkson’s general incompetence I didn’t have to concentrate too hard on cutting the bonnet as there are no straight lines or perfect angles to worry about.  I also had to cut out the fuel filler cap as on this new 5dr version it’s a cover rather than an open one.

P1110398P1110382P1110389P1110387P1110385

mark
    mark
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Yess! Soo much yess!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.