Scale RC Forum Forum Members’ Builds Off-Road builds It's a Transitory thing.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    PetePete
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

So as I can’t get any enthusiasm together for any of my existing projects I started another one, you know as you do.

I purchased the files to print this over a year ago, but at the time my printer wasn’t really big enough to print it at the size I wanted, the original size is about 1:10.5 where as pretty much everything else I have is around 1:9.

Having finally worn the printer out, I rebuilt it and took the opportunatey to enlarge it’s print capacity.

20190721_160911

Finally I could print this at the size I wanted, the great thing about having 3d printable models is that you can really easily scale them up.  So I scaled up by 15% to give the wheelbase (290mm) I want for the chassis I am putting this on, and over the last week have printed all the main components and assembled they.

Today saw me sanding, filling, priming and so by lunch time I had this,20190824_153542

and late this afternoon I had this.

20190824_170611

I need to re-work the rear end as it is to flat and make some new rear light clusters. I am also modifying the grill and have already moved the filler cap to the correct side. I have plans for some sort of interior too.

I am aiming for something similar to this but with a 4×4 conversion.

ebay332824

Yes, I know the MK1 never had a 4×4 option but the MK2 did and all the running gear fits.

Probably going to use a Carisma Sca-1E chassis and gear box as I have them, but will put it on SCX-10II axles with leaf springs.

Thanks as ever for looking in,

more as it happens.

Pete's Scale Fab Shop - Facebook  Instagram

Davy CrockettDavy Crockett
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Wow!! I’m looking forward to seeing this take shape!!

markmark
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Ah, the memories of seeing these Transits all over the place. What a time to be alive. Can’t beat a 4wd van.

Sysop
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

These and Minis everywhere you looked.  I never realised they did a 4wd version, I’m really looking forward to seeing this progress.

Retrocosm On YouTube   Instagram   Website   Twitter   Facebook JSScale Team Driver

Al murrayAl murray
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

looks interesting.. what size of build plate do you have on the printer now?

Al..

PetePete
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Wow!! I’m looking forward to seeing this take shape!!

Cheers, The sanding and filling is still going on at the moment.🤢

Ah, the memories of seeing these Transits all over the place. What a time to be alive. Can’t beat a 4wd van.

These and Minis everywhere you looked. I never realised they did a 4wd version, I’m really looking forward to seeing this progress.

We used to have a MK1 Horse box and ever since I have had a softspot for them. I would love to find a 3d printable classic mini as I could then do a replica of my first car.

Charlie the 4×4 versions from MKII on were special order and were called counties, The utility companys used them mostly.

looks interesting.. what size of build plate do you have on the printer now? Al..

Cheers Al, I now have a 300 by 300 bed although I can only do 300 x280 x 350 prints at the moment due to the position of the extruder.

PetePete
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Another week goes by and I only managed a couple of small bits.

Got all the light lenses printed and painted

20190908_180121

Worked out how to make the axles leaf sprung and built up the front one.

20190908_180221

And got the final paint scheme sorted, just need to finish modifying the grill before I put the white on the front.

20190908_180247

Still need to build the chassis/drive train, make / install an interior and finish modifying the rear.

Want this done for the nationals in October so I am going to have to pull my finger out.

damohickdamohick
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

This is very cool Pete, I’m sure your awesome fab work will be present … look forward to seeing the progress at the nationals!

• Scaling Like A Pro
    • ★★★★★

very nice. following

PetePete
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Well it didn’t get finished for the Nationals last year, but with me being stuck at home as my place of work is on a temporary shutdown I have been doing bits and pieces on this whilst waiting for bits of the Range Rover to dry.

First up I gave in and bought an RC4WD SWB TF2 chassis for this to go on and then proceeded to lengthen the chassis rails to get the correct wheel base. I also swapped out the Yota II axles for the modified SSD Pro 44’s so that the track width was also correct.

20200330_150632

Of course then the propshafts were to short, so they had to be lengthened 🙂

20200330_150638

I don’t like the center skid either so will make something different, and take the opportunity to raise the transfer case a little to.

With the chassis a roller, still need to mount the rear shocks, I plonked the shell back on and checked that the ride height and wheelbase were correct.

20200327_171423

and the answer was no 🙁

so flipped the springs to be spring under axle not spring over axle (1:1 is spring over) and tweaked a couple of things and ende up here

20200330_103921

which seems to be about correct. So now I need to finallise the body mounts and attach the shell properly.

I also decide early on to use the GCM 300TDI engine cover, I originally got for the Range Rover, in this, wasn’t going to leave the 2.oltr V4 in it having swapped it to 4×4 now was I 😉

added some details and trial fitted.

20200330_15071620200330_15065520200330_15093820200330_150944

the last little pieces of the puzzle will be the bumpers and then interior.

The bumpers I decided to 3D print, so drew something up and sent the files to the printer.

They need a bit of finishing work and the rears section are too wide and will need to be trimmed.

20200330_162324

That’s it for today, but there will be more over the next couple of weeks.

Cheers as ever for checking in.

Sysop
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Brilliant Pete, I absolutely love it, genuinely one of my favourite builds for some time.

Retrocosm On YouTube   Instagram   Website   Twitter   Facebook JSScale Team Driver

SARGESARGE
    • Scaling Like A Pro
    • ★★★★★

Absolutely brilliant, mightily impressed.

PetePete
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Brilliant Pete, I absolutely love it, genuinely one of my favourite builds for some time.

Absolutely brilliant, mightily impressed.

Cheers fella’s, I need a new gimmick now that all the manufacturers are sticking portals on there kits, so may be I’ll start doing random british vehicles instead 😉

Last couple of days have seen the mechanical bits finished off with the rear shocks, transfer case mounted using a new bracket and the steering servo installed. so I hooked up the electrics temporarily and am happy with the way it all works, so next up is finishing the body.

20200401_16173020200401_161722

The rear end is way to flat, and the rear lights are the wrong shape, on the 3D printed part (I suspect to avoid any type of law suit) so having already printed the new rear light lenses it, it is now time to reshape the arse end.

First step was to cut the doors out (I want these to be openeable anyway) and then build them up with some styrene and bondo, before sanding them back to a more correct curved shape.

Several hours later I am now more or less happy with the shape, just need the last skim of filler to dry and then I can do the final sand, before prime and paint.

20200402_154307

Once the doors are done I can use them as a guide to re-shape the rear of the body and build the new light mounts.

In between filling and sanding I have also been working on the interior. So far I have the floor in and boarded and the front bulk head installed. I have also started on boarding out the sides.

20200402_154318

I am probably going to go for painting the sides and bulkhead white to lighten up the rear a bit, might also install an interior light in there as well.

More soon.

markmark
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Stupid question time.</p>
    Why extend a tf2 SWB? Wouldn’t a regular Tf2 work.

what axles are under it?

PetePete
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Stupid question time?

Why extend a tf2 SWB? Wouldn’t a regular Tf2 work. what axles are under it?

Not so stupid a question.

When I measured the wheelbase of the body I appear to have forgotten how to read a ruler 🙂 as I came up with a number with in 10mm of the TF2 SWB which would have been easy to deal with. So ordered the SWB chassis, built it offered it up to the body, swore and then lengthened the chassis to suit.

Axles are SSD Pro 44’s flipped upside down and converted to leaf springs.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.