Scale RC Forum Forum Members’ Builds Off-Road builds Homage to the Camel Trophy Discovery

This topic contains 27 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Bill 7 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    • Looking For Mud

B) Good start bud :)

1st, 2nd, 3rd build…..still don’t compare, a big part of this hobby is personal taste, needs, wants and of course, budget!

If we were all after the same thing we would all have the same truck, which would be be very dull :blink:

Anonymous
    • Looking For Mud
    bill wrote:
    You’ve made a nice job of the shell mate. I’m building my D90 currently and for the first time have happily taken a hacksaw and drill to my new chassis to make it work the way I need to.

Can you invert the chassis rails so they dip down? rather than up. That’ll give you a good 15mm drop.

Not totally sure what is driving the ride height, is it the chassis or the shocks? If the shocks are monster long I’ve just fitted the uber cheap ansmann shocks to my D90 and they are really good and only cost about £7 a pair :woohoo:

Still a nice job on the shell though!! B)

I think I may take it apart and try to move the tray for the engine and transmission level with the chassis and get rid the whole bit hanging down. then I can fix the links to the chassis rails instead. I’ll have to sort the battery position as well but I’m going to put a smaller LiPo in it.

Can you send me a link to your shocks?

Tonysmini
    • Scaling Like A Pro
    • ★★★★★

Shorter shocks should sort the ride height, or maybe move the top mounts towards the front and rear of the chassis may help.

Anonymous
    • Looking For Mud

remove the springs off the shocks and run it in droop so the axles drop in to the holes obstacles. this will drop the ride height quite nicely.

costs you nothing and a few minutes to do!

looks good mate, dont see to many discos about!
    as long as your happy with it, dont matter what others think……

Bill
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★
    Jonny wrote:
    bill wrote:
    You’ve made a nice job of the shell mate. I’m building my D90 currently and for the first time have happily taken a hacksaw and drill to my new chassis to make it work the way I need to.

Can you invert the chassis rails so they dip down? rather than up. That’ll give you a good 15mm drop.

Not totally sure what is driving the ride height, is it the chassis or the shocks? If the shocks are monster long I’ve just fitted the uber cheap ansmann shocks to my D90 and they are really good and only cost about £7 a pair :woohoo:

I think I may take it apart and try to move the tray for the engine and transmission level with the chassis and get rid the whole bit hanging down. then I can fix the links to the chassis rails instead. I’ll have to sort the battery position as well but I’m going to put a smaller LiPo in it.

Can you send me a link to your shocks?

Yeh that’s a good idea, as those side rails look as capable as any other chassis side raIl and have lots of holes to take your links.

These are the socks.

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/ansmann-racing-aluminium-damper-set-75mm-1pr-/rc-car-products/33115

There’s a few tips on improving there performance, like o rings etc but tbh I’ve left mine alone till the cars finished and they are performing brilliant, no leaks and perfect balance for my car.

I recon your on to a winner there!

Anonymous
    • Looking For Mud
    bill wrote:

Took your advice on this one and it’s worked a charm

I turned the chassis rails upside down and popped on some of those Ansmann shocks and it sits so much better with more scale articulation.

Also my light bar and Roof Rack arrived which has helped with the whole theme. Would have liked to put the rack right at the back but it got in the way of the sunroof with the mounting posts. I could have chopped a hole through it but it was new! :S

The wheels have gone yellow too.

20120619212120.jpg

20120619211934.jpg

20120619211835.jpg

20120619211615.jpg

20120619211554.jpg

Anonymous
    • Looking For Mud

looking good! B) B)

Anonymous
    • Looking For Mud
    gaz wrote:
    looking good! B) B)

Cheers. I’m going to get something to put on to fill that space at the back of the roof that still lets me access the mounts though. The rack on the real thing is the whole length. Maybe some tool boxes etc strapped to side rails.

Bill
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Fantastic job, looks 110% better. was feeling a little guilty you not just saying that looks great.

If you’d built it from scratch thats the ride height it would be anyway, so well done.

LOL do you want to know what my next bit of advice is…. jack the roof rack up at the front so its parralel to the ground. It’ll help protect the lights a bit as well as blend into them more.

B)

Bill
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★
    Jonny wrote:
    gaz wrote:
    looking good! B) B)

Cheers. I’m going to get something to put on to fill that space at the back of the roof that still lets me access the mounts though. The rack on the real thing is the whole length. Maybe some tool boxes etc strapped to side rails.

PM chrisosospherererer he makes custom roof racks very reasonable prices too.

Tim_
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Looks so much better with the Body lower.

Anonymous
    • Looking For Mud

I’ve only just noticed this build and I must say good work mate, It looks great! I wish I’d of gone this far with my first build (also a CR01) I loved that car … Great fun!

Anonymous
    • Looking For Mud

It is always a challenge to make a properly-proportioned scaler out of a CR01, and you have succeeded admirably. Nice one!

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.