Scale RC Forum Forum Members’ Builds Off-Road builds Homage to the Camel Trophy Discovery

This topic contains 27 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Bill 7 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    • Looking For Mud

Here is my first attempt at a scale 4×4 rc. Not very detailed as I’ll probably break it before long :P

It’s based on a Camel Trophy Discovery. I saw one that somebody started but never finished on another forum and thought I’d give it a go.

First up, the secondhand cr01 chassis. cantilever setup was missing and I added some cheap Yeah Racing shocks and smaller wheels. Ride height is pretty High!
    20120615210736.jpg

Nice cheap ABS Kamtec shell. Wheelbase fits pretty well with some link adjustment.
    20120615210825.jpg

Windows cut and a coat of Tamiya Camel Yellow (apparently not quite the same as the real thing but fairly close. It is less yellow in real life than in the pics)
    20120616144343.jpg

Pop on some stickers and glue in some clear lexan windows.
    20120616221842.jpg
    20120616221925.jpg

Mount the body and we’re nearly there. Just waiting on a roofrack, lightbar, bullbar and snorkel to arrive.
    20120616234725.jpg

Overall it pales in comparison to the rest of the stuff on here :blush: but it handles pretty well and should be a fun drive and I thought I’d share (gotta start somewhere!).

bledd125
    • Looking For Mud

what make paint is that is it tamiya ts looks like a great start

bleddyn

Anonymous
    • Looking For Mud

Yea it’s Tamiya Camel Yellow spray.

bledd125
    • Looking For Mud

halfords sell the proper rover yellow its called sand glow yellow i was looking at some yesterdy

looks cool though

bleddyn

Anonymous
    • Looking For Mud

look like it’s off to a good start, one thing I have learnt on rc forums is don’t compare your rc with others, we all have different taste, probably some wouldn’t like what I’ve done with my truck, thats what makes it fun for me, sharing of ideas

Anonymous
    • Looking For Mud

Looks like a nice start… Good job! :cheer:

Anonymous
    • Looking For Mud

A good start matey, would prefer the shell a bit lower but personal taste.

NIcely done.

Karlp
    • Trailing And Scaling
    • ★★★★

Great looking truck but it’s missing one detail, mud/dirt ! ;)

Geoff
    Geoff
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Very nice, well done :cheer: :cheer:

Geoff in London    

RCWTF OFFICIAL REDCAT GEN 7 DRIVER 

MUD
    • Hitting The Trail
    • ★★★

Nice start…..I’m on with the 110 defender version at the mo but I’m not to happy with a few bits

Anonymous
    • Looking For Mud
    cyscrofer wrote:
    A good start matey, would prefer the shell a bit lower but personal taste.

NIcely done.

Yea me too. The shell is right down on the chassis rails but the articulation goes just right into the arches. Maybe some spacers inside the shocks to limit the travel?

Anonymous
    • Looking For Mud
    Karlp wrote:
    Great looking truck but it’s missing one detail, mud/dirt ! ;)

Hear hear. It’s not going to stay showroom fresh for long! :cheer:

Bill
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

You’ve made a nice job of the shell mate. I’m building my D90 currently and for the first time have happily taken a hacksaw and drill to my new chassis to make it work the way I need to.

Can you invert the chassis rails so they dip down? rather than up. That’ll give you a good 15mm drop.

Not totally sure what is driving the ride height, is it the chassis or the shocks? If the shocks are monster long I’ve just fitted the uber cheap ansmann shocks to my D90 and they are really good and only cost about £7 a pair :woohoo:

Still a nice job on the shell though!! B)

stetat59rc
    stetat59rc
    • Scaling Like A Pro
    • ★★★★★

nice job B)

Earl
    Earl
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

B) B) Looking good

As this is your first scaler don’t compare it with others. As you may know there are loads of bits you can add to the body, from snorkels to igbany’s favourite, roof racks and just about everything in between. The more you do, the more you will improve :cheer:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.