Scale RC Forum Forum Members’ Builds Forum’s Finest Builds Hammond’s Pimped Bolivian Cruiser

This topic contains 129 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by Retrocosm 6 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 130 total)
  • Author
    Paulw
    Paulw
    • Hitting The Trail
    • ★★★

Hey Charlie, that is an awesome project, definitely worthy of the move to Forums Finest. Would like to see it out on the trail some time 🙂

great work

Paul

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Hey Charlie, that is an awesome project, definitely worthy of the move to Forums Finest. Would like to see it out on the trail some time ? great work Paul

Thanks Paul 🙂  If you do see it I think it will be at a Northants meet, I’m not letting it anywhere near Andy and Jim’s courses!

A few more details completed.  There’s no kit mirror and nothing I had was large enough so I filed one out of some plasticard and painted it with Tamiya Flat Aluminium.

I also made the cowling for the steering column with some plasticard tubing, I need some teeny tiny keys for it.

P1080212P1080215P1080218

So very, very close now.

P1080244P1080264P1080237

Grasshopper
    Grasshopper
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Stunning. Hammond should be informed of this somehow!

Anyways, wotcha doin next then? 😀

Axial SCX10 Dingo    RC4WD TF2 Hilux     RC4WD G2 D90     WPL C14

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Stunning. Hammond should be informed of this somehow! Anyways, wotcha doin next then? ?

Thank you so much 🙂 Don’t tempt me to start anything else, I must stay the course and finish this, I really must.

So the one part that I have been putting off over and over again is the rear mount for the spare tyre but I’ve finally forced myself to do it.  I’m not completely happy with it, it’s a bit rough around the edges but one of the joys of doing these ‘weathered’ builds is that you can hide some of your mistakes.

Anyway here it is with a coat of Rover Sand Glow.  I need to fade it and weather it up a bit, also paint the top bracket in a suitable metal shade and then decide how to mount it.

P1080274

back

I also noticed that Hammond’s Cruiser has red hubs at the front so I added some that I had but may need to get some pucker Yota ones from RC4WD.

P1080276

fronthub

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Whilst researching for this build I discovered some information on the company tasked with providing the metal work for the Top Gear vehicles, the Pete Attryde’s of the 1:1 world if you like.  It was a company called Metaltech based in the city of Newberg, just outside of Portland Oregon.

I found this post on the Finalgear forum:-

I know two people (Mark and LT from Metal Tech) that were sent down there to help work on the FJ40. It was bought in terrible condition so they could use the “only toyota in the world that doesn’t work joke” and they weren’t allowed to change any of that just keep it running.

Three companies were actually brought in for this Antofaya Expeditions, Wild Trackers and Metal Tech.

Here is one of the statements that LT made
    “For those of you that don’t watch Top Gear on the BBC, Mark and I were privileged to be apart of the show. It started out with them contacting us about a roll cage which spiraled into loading on a pallet a cut and turned FJ40 housing, spring over parts, high steer, trail ready bead locks, 30 spline longfields, metal tech nose guard and stinger.

Mark flew down to Bolivia initially to help prep the 3 vehicles, ’74 FJ40, ’84 Range Rover, ’91 Suzuki Samurai. He then proceeded to head down into the jungle along with 2 other British mechanics to help keep the vehicles going. I got a call from Mark right after I got home from Offroad Expo saying I needed to book my flight in two days and head to Bolivia. I met up with them just as they were doing the death road. Mark and I did all the work on the FJ40 for the big build up and I proceeded to continue on with the production crew into Chile while Mark flew back home. It was quite a challenge for both Mark and I since the hours were long and hard but if asked to do it again I would do it in a heart beat. ”

Seeing the year difference in the vehicles is refreshing and should have been brought up in the reliability wars (which the suzuki really won).
    Had they all been the same vintage it would have turned out differently.

And what Jarek from Antofaya Expeditions in Chile had to say.

“And of course Travis aka LT. How could I forget. You guys should see him fixing the cars in the field in Putre at Chilean Altiplano at 12,000ft in the night when everybody else went to bed after a day of hard work. It was an adventure indeed.

The LC was OME lifted, split rims were mounted with over-sized tires, winch bullbar with a winch was mounted, roll cage with off-road lights was added too. The mods were chosen both for safety and looks as TV is a visual thing, isn’t it? I am sure Travis LT would be much better than me at explaining the technical details of the mods as this was him along with Bob & Karl from Wildtrackers who actually installed all of it.

And this from Travis of Metaltech.

My business Metal Tech 4×4 which you can see the sticker on our cage that was installed in Hammond’s FJ40 were down there as vehicle consultants. Mark Hawley and myself Travis Telleria (see ending credits). Mark was apart of the first half in the jungle and the big build up of the 3 trucks. I came down at the beginning of the road of death, did the build and continued on to Chile with the crew while Mark flew home after the big build.

The elevation is true, they did get up to 17,000ft, I wasn’t that much further down below at roughly 16,000ft while they filmed up there. It is rough not being acclimatized to the altitude. I was always short of breath, feel like you have a hang over, and a constant runny nose. Just basic movement feels like you are doing a marathon, it was a challenge but what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger right?

I can also tell you that there wasn’t much scripted during my time down there except for a few bits and pieces. Most of it was on the fly as trucks broke down, getting stuck, etc. It was a great experience to witness this and see some very beautiful scenery along the way. I won’t be revealing too much about what happened behind the scenes since we are going to write an article and submit it to a magazine.

The ’74 FJ40 did live a rough life, far worse than the other two. It had a lot of bad fixes, mechanical failures, etc from poor maintenance and just the over all use of the vehicle in that area. The Land Cruiser hands down was the 4×4 that most Bolivians drove in La Paz and in the jungle. To purchase one down there they are just as much in the states which is about $5,000. The people do whatever they can to keep them in their families and pass them down because of their reliability. The FJ40 Land Cruiser did fight till the end, as poor of shape as it was in it still ran at 65mph with 35″ tires with the stock 1f straight 6cyl motor and 4.11 gears. It had water get into the engine through the carburetor, oil was pumping out the pcv valve into the carb and all around it, oil was in the radiator fluid, and it still started up every time and kept on ticking. It also ran on the front end alone for 600 miles doing highway speeds.

Anyway, I found the company on-line and their logo as I’d spotted a couple of stickers on the bumper and protection frame but couldn’t quite make them out. Now I have them 🙂

P1080281P1080278

mark
    mark
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

That’s some research. I wonder if there’s more on the Range Rover.

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

That’s some research. I wonder if there’s more on the Range Rover.

I bet there is, I’ll have to have a look around.

I managed to get the spare wheel mount mounted last night.  I’m pretty pleased with how the back is turning out although the undersized number plate is really bugging me now.

P1080294

Grasshopper
    Grasshopper
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Tsk, the rear pumpkin isn’t off-centre – right, scrap it and start again..

No seriously, I keep scrolling between the screen grabs and your pics and it is stunning the amount of work you’ve put into faithfully recreating this, and you keep on adding to it!

You realise to complete the look you’re going to have to roll it sideways down a bloody great hill though? 🙂

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Tsk, the rear pumpkin isn’t off-centre – right, scrap it and start again..

Not only that, but the shocks are outside the leafs when they should be the other way around, 😥

No seriously, I keep scrolling between the screen grabs and your pics and it is stunning the amount of work you’ve put into faithfully recreating this, and you keep on adding to it! You realise to complete the look you’re going to have to roll it sideways down a bloody great hill though? ?

Thank you, yes I intend to accidentally on purpose leave the handbrake off at some point because understandably I don’t fancy that descent with front wheel drive only. 😉

Grasshopper
    Grasshopper
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Gasp! Surely you are not insinuating that Top Gear staged that mishap for televisual entertainment purposes??

(honestly though, I didn’t twig about that, makes so much sense!)

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Gasp! Surely you are not insinuating that Top Gear staged that mishap for televisual entertainment purposes?? (honestly though, I didn’t twig about that, makes so much sense!)

Well that was my impression when I first watched it, confirmed on recent repeat viewings by a glimpse of one of the crew’s heads behind the Cruiser, presumably giving it a push.  It bothers me not, I’ve always just gone with it.

A few more details on the dash including a new little door next to the main glovebox and these slightly weird motorcycle stickers.

P1080301

dashgood

When I was prepping the body, I failed to notice that there were no rear side lights on Hammond’s Cruiser and left the mounting holes unfilled.  I was reluctant to try to fill and paint them after spraying the body but decided it had to be done.  So they have been filled and blended, something else that went better than I was expecting. :))  Just need to add back in some of the burn marks from the welding.

P1080264-2

P1080303

outback
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

This is a fantastic build ,your attention to detail is amazing ,best build I have seen in a long time .

Steve

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Thanks Steve, that is much appreciated 😀

jimbo_wa
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Yep, stunning work and an attention to detail that is borderline lockupandthrowawaythekey-able!

How are you going to top this one!?!

grubbybuz
    grubbybuz
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Incredible stuff! So many small details and a perfect patina,top notch sir.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 130 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.