Scale RC Forum Forum Members’ Builds Forum’s Finest Builds Hammond’s Pimped Bolivian Cruiser

This topic contains 129 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by Retrocosm 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 130 total)
  • Author
    Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Stunning build, I don’t think I’d get close with the one I had. When I finish the current list of builds for the G6 I’m going to restore Indiana Clarksons Range Rover.

Thanks Mark, that means a lot.  We’ll have to get them together one day, we just need someone to build a Samurai!

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

The Snake Plissken figure I have is the closest I can find to the correct size for Hammond.  I’ve been trying to do a little reassignment surgery to make it more Hammondy and less Plisskeny.  I have trimmed his mullet and rubbed off some of the stubble on his face. I then  tried to fashion a mirror image of his eye patch with filler with the intention of then making them look like the sunglasses Hammond wore during this trip.

P1080109

I also ordered some cheapo 1/6 scale jeans from China and once they had arrived I chopped them up.  I still need to trim them a little more but they look much better than Snake’s camos and also cover his rather ostentatious boots.

P1080103P1080114

Hands have also been painted to resemble the gloves Hammond wore.

leftdetail

P1080113

I’m just wondering now if there’s any way I can change the colour of his jacket, copious amounts of wash might work.  Jeans stonewashed, just need to add some Chilean dust and grime.

P1080131

I’ve also added some rust and dust to the front bumper, attached the front number plate and have started working on the winch.  Blue winch line to match the original and the supplied fairlead removed as the actual one is completely different.

P1080126

Grasshopper
    Grasshopper
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

All shades of awesome going on there, the end is in sight! I found this regarding the jacket:

Leather paints are acrylic-based paints created specifically for work on leather and faux leather. Though you can also use standard acrylic paints from a craft store, leather paints are not much more expensive and are made to adhere to these types of materials without chipping, peeling, or cracking over time.

You’ll have to get that leather ruched too for the full effect! (I remember Clarkson and Hammond joking about ruched leather in cars at some point..)

From Snake to Hammond, who’d have thunk it?

Axial SCX10 Dingo    RC4WD TF2 Hilux     RC4WD G2 D90     WPL C14

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Thanks chap 🙂  I may just have a go with Tamiya Acrylic, given that I’ve got a good selection of colours.  I seem to remember Clarkson commenting on the Range Rover’s Veloooouuur lol.

I’m also going to look for some fabric to cover his bare arm parts (‘Ow my arm parts’) and the join with the hands.

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Hammmmond!! You imbecile.

Well it only went and worked.  Cheers Gav, the Tamiya Acrylic worked a treat.  I painted the jacked with flat black and then added some Chilean desert dust and grime.  I’ve also painted in the ‘sunglasses’ which have worked much better than I was expecting and added some additional material to the arms to cover the join between the forearms and hands.

There’s not a great deal I can do about the chiseled facial features so I think this is as Hammondy as it’s going to get.

P1080152P1080138P1080133P1080137

I’ve also added the steering wheel.  I didn’t use the supplied mount as it’s a bit feeble and slots in off center anyway.  I instead drilled a new hole under the instrument binacle and carried on through to the firewall to give extra stability.  I then drilled out the steering wheel to 6mm and used some internally threaded rod to mount it.  I don’t know what the unit around the steering column is called but I need to make one to slide on.

P1080161P1080153

toyolien
    toyolien
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

The level of detail you’ve put into this build is insane. I’m in awe! It’s one of my most favourite builds for sure. Amazing!

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

The level of detail you’ve put into this build is insane. I’m in awe! It’s one of my most favourite builds for sure. Amazing!

Wow, thanks chap, coming from you that means a great deal, cheers.

Grasshopper
    Grasshopper
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Superb, that’s about as Hammondy as you can get without putting the real thing through some sort of Innerspace miniaturisation process. Same with the truck to be fair. As it’s not good form for you to move your own builds into the forum’s finest section can I suggest that someone else does? 🙂

Axial SCX10 Dingo    RC4WD TF2 Hilux     RC4WD G2 D90     WPL C14

Pete Attryde
    Pete Attryde
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I will second the suggestion to move this to the forum finest, but then I’m not exactly in position to move it either as I too have a vested interest.

Pete's Scale Fab Shop - Facebook  Instagram

M and M
    • Trailing And Scaling
    • ★★★★

I third this, and my wife thirds it too! (apologies to Life of Brian fans)

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Wow, thank you chaps, I’m humbled and a little embarrassed as I now have to move my own thread (assuming I can actually do that with this forum software, doh!) ?

Now I know how you feel Pete lol, you’re part of this build too.  Thanks again chaps. 🙂

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

I have been gradually adding in some more details, including the flood maps, pointy radio thing and windy wipers, all of course suitably aged, manky and bent out of shape.

I had to ‘reverse’ the wipers as the ones supplied with the kit mount underneath the windscreen and are exactly the wrong way around.  The aerial is made from a windy wiper from a random parts tree that I found with some o-rings for the base.  I can’t even remember what the mud flaps are as I bought them so long ago.  I had to mount them a little higher than I would have like as I had to stick them to the bottom of the inner fenders so that the body can be removed.

I’ve filled the shocks with some 70 weight oil which they seem to be holding, painted the underneath matt black and have started thinking about the electricky bits.  I think the battery will be contained within a box in the rear bed, the rest will fit under the bonnet as there is plenty of room.

P1080184P1080197P1080186

windscreendetail

P1080190

frontundermudflap

P1080173

mark
    mark
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Stunning build, I don’t think I’d get close with the one I had. When I finish the current list of builds for the G6 I’m going to restore Indiana Clarksons Range Rover.

Thanks Mark, that means a lot. We’ll have to get them together one day, we just need someone to build a Samurai!

Mind officially blown. Definitely have to get them together. If I find some suitable axles I’ll build a Samurai.

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Thanks Mark, that means a lot. We’ll have to get them together one day, we just need someone to build a Samurai!

Mind officially blown. Definitely have to get them together. If I find some suitable axles I’ll build a Samurai.

Well if I’ve blown your mind I think I’ve peaked, retirement beckons!

I noticed on Hammond’s Cruiser that there’s only one sun visor and it’s on the passenger side so I made one out of styrene and was able to use some of the mounting bits from the kit wing mirrors to attach it.

P1080203

sidelatchessmallfront

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Scale Off Road Pro
    • ★★★★★★

Pleased to confirm my compulsory ‘SOAT’ Bolivian insurance is up to date so I’m now road legal.

P1080210P1080208

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 130 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.