Scale RC Forum Forum Members’ Builds Forum’s Finest Builds Hammond’s Pimped Bolivian Cruiser

This topic contains 129 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by Retrocosm 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 130 total)
  • Author
    Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Crawler Pro

I’m going to have a go at the Cruiser Richard Hammond drove in the Top Gear Special where they travelled from Bolivia to Chile. I’m aware that before I joined the forum Dready made a quite superb verion of Clarkson’s Range Rover which it transpires is currently in the possession of another forum member who understandably doesn’t want to part with it for love nor money lol you know who you are ::thumb::

I’m going to go for the pimped version as featured in the later half of the episode as I’ve already done a more traditonal Cruiser.

In fact I’ll be using the chassis from the aforementioned Cruiser for this build. I did originally do a custom conversion to leaf springs but whilst it looked very scale it never really performed the way it should. I have therefore used the RC4WD conversion kit for the Gelande II.

Having fitted it I was immediately unhappy with the front springs, far too short and too far away from the front of the chassis rails. Fortunately I had some longer leafs in the parts box and managed to incorporate those instead.

p1070563.jpg

p1070565.jpg

p1070572.jpg

For wheels and tyres I’m probably going to use these 8 hole Axial beadlocks along with some of these Gearhead beadlock rings. I know, ghastly plarstic but I can’t find anything in metal that matches the original wheels.

Frustratingly I already have these 1.7 wheels from RC4WD which would be perfect except they’re exactly the wrong way around, I need silver whees with black beadlocks. Using my existing body here as an example I think the ride height is about right.

p1070560.jpg

rearwheelexhaustbumperdetails.jpeg

Bits I’ve ordered that are on the way are the CCHand rear bumper and a tough armour roll bar to match those seen here:-

back.jpeg

I already have a new in box Cruiser body kit that I bought some months ago. Tyres were going to be 1.9 Dick Cepek Extreme Country at 106mm. They’re the closest I could find in terms of size and tread pattern but I’m wondering now if they’re a little small.

p1070558.jpg

sidegood1.jpeg

On the right, the Extreme Country tyres, on the left 1.7 Goodyear Wranglers.

p1070562.jpg

Attachments:
    mark
    mark
    • Crawler Pro

:-) Sorry I do have the mustard yellow body but I have a lot of money in getting that.
    The original little donkey that Dresdy was making is also in my possession :-)
    I’ve been gathering bits to finish that and Pitbull Rock Beasts look the part for the lifted version.

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Crawler Pro

You mean you have a Cruiser body as well! Oh man stop it already lol

Do you mean that 1.9 Rock Beasts work well for the Cruiser?

mark
    mark
    • Crawler Pro

I have a spare Range Rover.
    38759846432_81537a6828_z.jpgUntitled by mhnhaven, on Flickr
    I have the original donkey
    38759779582_5983c8ea46_z.jpgUntitled by mhnhaven, on Flickr
    (Predates The RC4WD Cruiser)
    Rock Beasts on a leafed Cruiser
    37904190335_55e8b99b1a_z.jpg by mhnhaven, on Flickr
    27015018939_a68c967906_z.jpgUntitled by mhnhaven, on Flickr
    Apologies for the low light pics and filling up your thread.

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Crawler Pro

I think this is what is known as hoarding ::lolz Clearly you don’t need two Range Rovers ::pray Do you happen to know what colour the paint on your Cruiser is?

If funds allow I may have to look at some Rock Beasts.

Without the lid on the tyres look a little better however.

p1070576.jpg

mark
    mark
    • Crawler Pro

It’s a struggle On the real one it looks like Volcanic Beige T-1262 on my Cruiser it was Ford dove grey.

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Crawler Pro

I think I shall give Rover Sand Glow a go, see how it comes out, looks pretty close to me.

Paulw
    Paulw
    • Ready To Trail

Great work Charlie. Technically not a “new” rig to add to the fleet, just reworking an old one. You must be slipping :)

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Crawler Pro

Cheers Paul :-) Well this is true, I have learned so much over the last couple of years that I think revisiting some of my earlier trucks is the way to go, plus I just don’t have any room left :blush:

amellor03
    amellor03
    • Crawler Pro

This is something I’ve always wanted to build!

Have you bought the body in bits?

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Crawler Pro

No, it’s just the complete Cruiser body kit and I’ve started to chop it up, trying to keep my lines straight ::yikes

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Crawler Pro

Both doors are out, just need to clean up the cuts, went ok, phew. I also added in a fuel filler cap which was actually one I bought from DJ Designs for a Defender but it fits well.

p1070580.jpg

rightsidefuel.jpeg

There are surprisingly few dents on Hammond’s Cruiser considering the abuse he put it though but I tried to add the obvious ones that I could see.

sidegood.jpeg

p1070583.jpg

There’s a pretty subtle one on the front wing that just causes it to drop a little from the horizontal.

front.jpeg

p1070582.jpg

I noticed the rear tailgate is featureless on the original and wider than the one on the RC4WD body so I’m planning to cut out the latter and replace it with a piece of styrene.

back.jpeg

Also added another small dent near the bottom.

p1070587.jpg

SARGE
    SARGE
    • Hitting The Trail

Looking like an interesting build Charlie. Your attention to detail up there as ever!

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Crawler Pro
    SARGE wrote:
    Looking like an interesting build Charlie. Your attention to detail up there as ever!

Thanks Sarge, I’m having a constant internal debate as to how far on details I realistically have the time and the patience to go :hmmm:

Today I chopped up the interior, I wanted to get rid of the ugly bits exposed by removing the doors.

p1070589.jpg

p1070595.jpg

I cut out some styrene to fit.

p1070599.jpg

I now need to make a decision on lowering the bed which is far too high. I’d like to lower it so it matches up with the bottom of the rear doors which I have now removed.

p1070603.jpg

I also noticed there’s another dent on the original and added it on the rear corner.

p1070593.jpg

Sysop

Retrocosm
    • Crawler Pro

There’s 6 inches of snow outside so it seemed like a good excuse to stay home and work on the Cruiser (and build a snowman.)

A couple of bits have arrived, the number plates and beadlock rings.

p1070609.jpg

p1070613.jpg

I’ve trimmed down the lower portion of the light/grill surround as I noticed they’re thinner at the bottom on 1:1s.

p1070611.jpg

Cut out and fitted the flat rear tailgate.

p1070615.jpg

Dropped and modified the rear bed.

p1070618.jpg

p1070626.jpg

It’s slowly coming together, still waiting on a few bits and pieces to arrive.

p1070623.jpg

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 130 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.